Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2021222324 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Boldin News (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Ozzie's track record with WR's is atrocious.
    Sorry man, but that is absolute garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    In other words BC, every single move I pointed out, all of which were bitched and moaned and hand wrung about by huge segments of this board, worked out.

Oz is smarter than us. He knows more about football than our collective minds put together. Hell, he's forgotten more than any of us will ever know.

But you and everyone else calling the idea of parting ways with Boldin's a terrible move seem to believe that you know better than him about Boldin's irreplacability or lack thereof. Despite his track record. Despite this teams near dynasty level of success in the last half decade. All of which was built by pieces put in place by Newsome.

I say if he says we can win without Q, we should take him on his word.
    /thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Not really.

Other than Torrey Smith, what receiver has Ozzie drafted that actually panned out? Clayton was ok, but certainly not worthy of the 1st round pick spent on him.

WR has been a legitimate Achilles heel for this scouting department. Hopefully that changes with Torrey and Doss, LaQuan, Streeter, and Thompson will all make major impacts for this team.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

How long have you been watching the team? Torrey is the only decent wr he has ever drafted, despite trying year after year. Other than Mason and Boldin, pretty much all the FA's he has brought in have been flops. We finally have a unit with all the pieces to have a dynamic passing game for the next few years. I just think it would be an awful idea break it up right now. Doesn't make sense to me. Hell, I think Boldin is worth $6mil/yr. I'd rather see him extended. Damn sure don't want to see him cut.

Exactly. Once you aren't a raven, you're over rated. Can't wait till you same fans say the same thing about Reed once he's officially done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Not really.

Other than Torrey Smith, what receiver has Ozzie drafted that actually panned out? Clayton was ok, but certainly not worthy of the 1st round pick spent on him.

WR has been a legitimate Achilles heel for this scouting department. Hopefully that changes with Torrey and Doss, LaQuan, Streeter, and Thompson will all make major impacts for this team.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    His track record isn't great, but to say that its atrocious is a garbage comment IMO. Ozzie was the guy who bought in the likes of Mason, Ismail, Boldin, Stockley, etc. Yeah he hasn't drafted an elite athletic freak like Calvin Johnson, but not many GMs have been able to do that. Quite frankly, the Ravens have never been in the position to get one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    How long have you been watching the team? Torrey is the only decent wr he has ever drafted, despite trying year after year. Other than Mason and Boldin, pretty much all the FA's he has brought in have been flops. We finally have a unit with all the pieces to have a dynamic passing game for the next few years. I just think it would be an awful idea break it up right now. Doesn't make sense to me. Hell, I think Boldin is worth $6mil/yr. I'd rather see him extended. Damn sure don't want to see him cut.
    I started watching back in 2000, granted I was too young to really understand anything, I started watching the Ravens because my uncle, at the time, happened to be a huge Ravens fan. Ever since I've been hooked on this team.

We've never really been in position to draft an elite prospect at WR. Yes it isn't a very good track record, but to say it's an atrocious record is silly.

The idea that Ozzie has swung and missed repeatedly on WRs in a bit overstated. Other than Clayton and Torrey, who have we drafted in the first three rounds?

I'm waiting.

Having 4th round or lower receivers not pan out isn't surprising. Very few skill guys taken beyond the third round do.

Clayton was a mediocre guy, over drafted, and Torrey is turning into a hell of a player. So in reality, Ozzie is 50/50 on receivers. Throw in Heap and Pitta who both provide much more bang in the passing game than the blocking game, and he's 3 for 5. And with Dickson being on the fence depending on what he does this year he could be 4 for 5.

Plus you have to give Oz credit for trading for Boldin and getting Mason.

So it's not like he just can't get good receivers, it's just that it hasn't been a priority of the front office because they've done a good job getting pass catching TEs and picking up productive free agent WRs.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

You also have to remember that we were totally build on defense before a few years ago, and Ozzie believed in continuing to add more and more elite pieces to one of the best defenses in the history of this game. Better off going for the likes of Terrell Suggs over an elite WR that would be under used anyway with the garbage we had playing QB.

To say someones track record is atrocious, that would have to mean that Ozzie has missed on a load of first round picks, when in reality he's only used 1 first round pick on a WR who wasn't even exactly a bust anyway. As ASB pointed out, those flops were 4th-7th round prospects that rarely ever become anything in the league. Ozzie has signed some really solid WRs however, so I'd say its a below average to average track record overall.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 03-09-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Blog Entries

When you go all the way back to 96 and the best drafted wr's are Torrey, Clayton(avg), and Stockley(avg) that's pretty bad. I wouldn't put Ismael anywhere near the same class as Boldin and Mason. Other then that a bunch of nobodies. Over a course of 17 years. I consider that atrocious. Maybe that's a strong word but its been bad. We finally have an all around solid unit. After 17 years!!!! Keep it together!!!!

His track record isn't great, but to say that its atrocious is a garbage comment IMO. Ozzie was the guy who bought in the likes of Mason, Ismail, Boldin, Stockley, etc. Yeah he hasn't drafted an elite athletic freak like Calvin Johnson, but not many GMs have been able to do that. Quite frankly, the Ravens have never been in the position to get one.
    And he also drafted Travis Taylor, Clarence Moore, Randy Hymes, Mark Clayton, and brought in guys like Frank Sanders and Ron Johnson to be our top receivers.

Ozzie swings and misses way more than he hits with WR's. Track record is not good until recently.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

You also have to remember that we were totally build on defense before a few years ago, and Ozzie believed in continuing to add more and more elite pieces to one of the best defenses in the history of this game. Better off going for the likes of Terrell Suggs over an elite WR that would be under used anyway with the garbage we had playing QB.
    I agree but times have changed. The name of the game now is getting as many weapons around Joe Flacco as you can.