Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Rhys

Bye Bye Rhys

I caught this at the end of the Sun article today:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,7848503.story

Kicker Rhys Lloyd, who was waived by the Ravens on Saturday to make room for linebacker Robert McCune, was signed by the Carolina Panthers.

I hope the Panthers don't jerk him around like the Ravens did. I wish he would have had a chance to play but due to injuries I guess that wasn't possible.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Re: Bye Bye Rhys

Another loss to Ravens - he was Stover's replacement in the making.

How long will Stover last?

I can't say with any degree of conviction that this is a big loss, since we never really got to see much of the guy, but the Ravens yanked him around like a yo-yo this year. He's on the team, then he's not, then he's on again, then he's not -- I guess they had their reasons, but that had to be tiresome for him.

But as UKRaven is suggesting, Stover won't last forever. It would be nice to have a replacement lined up. Replacing kickers usually isn't that hard, but Stover has been so good for so long, it could be a harsh return to reality when his replacement starts missing FGs.

I have to agree with HW .... nice kid, but not a big loss in the grand scheme of things.

Does anyone know if there are decent kickers on the free agent market?

Backup placekickers are a dime a dozen I believe. Having an extra placekicker on the 53 man was a luxury we could not afford for many games this year. I don't think it's a big deal, I really don't.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

I still get a sinking feeling Stover is going to retire this season, although maybe now he puts it off until we can get a replacement and hold onto him.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    .... nice kid, but not a big loss in the grand scheme of things.
    I have to disagree. I understand that our injury situation prevented Rhys from being activated each game. However, how often did the opposing team start on their own 40 yd line after a kickoff - the Cleveland game comes immediately to mind? A kick-off artist who would consistently get the ball into the endzone would've been a mega help this year, especially with our pathetic kick-off coverage.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    I have to disagree. I understand that our injury situation prevented Rhys from being activated each game. However, how often did the opposing team start on their own 40 yd line after a kickoff - the Cleveland game comes immediately to mind? A kick-off artist who would consistently get the ball into the endzone would've been a mega help this year, especially with our pathetic kick-off coverage.
    Accurate on all accounts! The injury problem kept the YOYO effect going, and I for one thought that his kick-offs would have helped much more than the roster moves they made which kept him in a constant state of limbo!!!! :insane: :grbac: :hammer:

He impressed me in pre-season with kick offs and that 60+ yard FG, but was disappointing when he got his chance against Indy this year. Booming leg, though - may have been valuable with experience.

Either way - a big loss for the UK Ravens at least - no Brits on the team now!

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    Either way - a big loss for the UK Ravens at least - no Brits on the team now!
    A big loss for the Baltimore Ravens as well! Until we get decent coverage on kickoffs, we're going to continue to put our defense in the hole!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

A "big loss"? Please.

What did he do when he was active this year? He pretty much sucked.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Please, then, tell me how many games he actually suited up for? I know I saw him in one game; but what other games did he kick off in. IMO, field position is extremely critical, and, again, with our s--tty coverage, we need all the help we can get.