Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: #3 WR and kicker already decided?

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Seriously, what kind of kicker doesn't make a rushed 50 yarder 100% of the time!
    What kind misses 100% of the time? ;)
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

The Ravens just hired a Mathematician. Put him to good use. I'll get him started...

#1 Gary Anderson was a perfect 35 for 35 in 98, and we all know he missed that huge kick in NFCC game. Next year, he went 19 for 30. I'd say that kick was still in his head. And Gary wasnt a journeyman one year wonder like Billy. He was a great consistent PK (Clutch against us in 2004 in the Titans WC game).

#2... Scott Norwood after Wide Right (which wasnt a fricking 32yd gimme by the way) went 18 for 29 in 1991.

I guarantee that Sandy Weil (the new Raven hire) could mine a lot of other data that proves kickers DO NOT bounce back after a huge crucial misses. Time to move on...

TEAM TUCKER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    The Ravens just hired a Mathematician. Put him to good use. I'll get him started...

#1 Gary Anderson was a perfect 35 for 35 in 98, and we all know he missed that huge kick in NFCC game. Next year, he went 19 for 30. I'd say that kick was still in his head. And Gary wasnt a journeyman one year wonder like Billy. He was a great consistent PK (Clutch against us in 2004 in the Titans WC game).

#2... Scott Norwood after Wide Right (which wasnt a fricking 32yd gimme by the way) went 18 for 29 in 1991.

I guarantee that Sandy Weil (the new Raven hire) could mine a lot of other data that proves kickers DO NOT bounce back after a huge crucial misses. Time to move on...

TEAM TUCKER!!!

Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Don't forget that two years ago a lot of talking heads presumed Shayne Graham would win the job due to the larger financial commitment the Ravens made to him and his experience. Cundiff won the job after performing better and I can see it happening again with Tucker.
    Also, remember that Graham had the stigma of missing some important kicks for the Bengals, and maybe that played a role in the Ravens choosing Cundiff. Perhaps this happens again and they choose Tucker?

Still, like Ravor and others suggested earlier, its too early to be making predictions on this position. I think we need to see a few preseason performances to get a better idea of who the PK should be.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Its even more than the missed kick in the Pats game. I went back to the old DVR and watched the 1st half of the December 4 Browns game. Late in the second quarter with the Ravens leading 7 - 0, Billy comes out for what should have been an easy 34 yard FG and slides it off the the right.

Now anybody can miss a field goal - but this one was late in the season and the Ravens were still in a 3 way battle with the Steelers and Bengals for a playoff spot. You don't miss a 34 yard FG in that situation. I just don't think Billy is a kicker the Ravens can count on in the clutch.

If they do it releasing Tucker will proved to be a big, big mistake.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Its even more than the missed kick in the Pats game. I went back to the old DVR and watched the 1st half of the December 4 Browns game. Late in the second quarter with the Ravens leading 7 - 0, Billy comes out for what should have been an easy 34 yard FG and slides it off the the right.

Now anybody can miss a field goal - but this one was late in the season and the Ravens were still in a 3 way battle with the Steelers and Bengals for a playoff spot. You don't miss a 34 yard FG in that situation. I just don't think Billy is a kicker the Ravens can count on in the clutch.

If they do it releasing Tucker will proved to be a big, big mistake.
    Not that I disagree with you, but in all fairness that game was in heavy rain, wind, and the field was crap. IIRC, his plant foot slid forward or something.

Still though, I agree...he was just really inconsistent last year. Even earlier in the year he missed a couple that he nailed the previous year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

We need a kicker who can make kicks from 50+ yards at a better than 1 for 6 percentage, as well as make shorter ones. Sometimes, longer kicks are needed. IIRC, in the AFCC game, we went for it on fourth and six on what would have been a 50 yard or so FG attempt.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Not that I disagree with you, but in all fairness that game was in heavy rain, wind, and the field was crap. IIRC, his plant foot slid forward or something.

Still though, I agree...he was just really inconsistent last year. Even earlier in the year he missed a couple that he nailed the previous year.
    IIRC, he had some sort of leg injury that was causing his pulls and shanks, and they brought in someone else while he healed.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I really hope not. It's one thing when you have a reliable veteran that might not be as good anymore, but I don't consider Cundiff to be reliable at all. He's had one really good year in his career. Only 4 kickers had a lower FG% last season then Cundiff.
    Shane Graham definitely would have made that kick vs NE in the AFC Championship game. OR he would have had the experience to know how many timeouts were remaining and if necessary call a time out.

Blog Entries

I am not really a fan of Jacoby Jones, but I must admit that he has earned the third WR spot.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I get the feeling Harbaugh was trying to convey the point to Cundiff that he was not going to be cut based on last season, and especially the kick. However, I would think out performing a rookie kicker would qualify as "taking care of his business". Up until this point he has not "taken care of his business".

I have to wonder if harbaugh is doing this because he feels guilty for not calling that damn timeout? I honestly cannot think of another legitimate reason to give this career journeyman such a long rope after he shit the bed in the playoffs. If the kid outperforms Billy Goat and doesnt get the job, I'm gonna punch a baby. Hopefully one being held by harbaugh....