Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: America's Game

Re: America's Game

Josh Charles needs to narrate this.

I love Ray and all, but I would have preferred to see someone else this time. Like maybe Jacoby since he made some big plays, or Reed.

I don't see how it couldn't have been Ray. The "Last Ride" story was a huge part of the SB run. Can't properly tell the story without it, IMO.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Yeah the "Ray'sLast Ride" deal basically sealed it that he would be on this one. Remember this is to be shown like 50 yrs from now and he's the one that will be remembered most. Possibly Flacco as well at the pace he's moving.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    I really hate this narrative, honestly. It makes it sound like the only thing stopping the poor Chargers from winning it all was cold weather. Never mind the fact that the Bengals stomped them even more badly in San Diego in the regular season. Those Chargers teams in general, but especially the 1981 team that gets singled out for some reason, are very overrated.
    I was a Charger fan back then and yea I agree that the 81 team was not as good as the Bengals even in warm weather. But I do think the team era deserves a MR ring show, b/c their offense was so good.

The best SD team was the 79 team, when they had Fred Dean and the 5th best defense (Joe Gibbs was the OC too.. not too shabby). They absolutely bitchslapped the SB winning Steelers 35-7 in the regular season on their way to the #1 seed. Unfortunately for them, Fouts shit in the bed against the Oilers in the Divisional and threw 5 INTs (4 to Vernon Perry) in their 17-14 loss. Amazingly the Oilers coaching staff figured out all of the Chargers play calls from sidelines, so the Oilers defense knew if the Chargers were gonna run or pass every play. Sure that's a lame excuse for them losing especially with Earl Campbell hurt, but knowing if its a pass or run is a huge advantage. If the Chargers won that Houston game, I guarantee you they would have beat the Steelers in AFCC. They matched up realyl well against that 79 Steeler team and it would have been in SD instead of 'cozy' 3 Rivers. And then the Rams against Chargers in SB14... no contest. Missing Ring to me.

The 80 SD team was better than the 81 team too... but the cracks started to show with their defense... especially in that AFCC against the Raiders.

The real reason why NFL films picked the 81 team was b/c of the drama that occurred. Dumping John Jefferson for Wes Chandler. Getting rid of Fred Dean just b/c the owner was so damn cheap (freaking insane!). And then the Epic Dolphins game & the Freezer Bowl. Good stories make better TV. Hell, we all know that the Browns of 86 or 87 would have gotten destroyed in Super Bowls if they actually won one of those AFCC games against Denver. B/c the 86&87 Browns both lost in heartbreaking fashion, NFL Films portrays them as great teams that didn't win the whole thing, instead of realistically what was two good Brown teams in a severely inferior AFC.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I was a Charger fan back then and yea I agree that the 81 team was not as good as the Bengals even in warm weather. But I do think the team era deserves a MR ring show, b/c their offense was so good.

The best SD team was the 79 team, when they had Fred Dean and the 5th best defense (Joe Gibbs was the OC too.. not too shabby). They absolutely bitchslapped the SB winning Steelers 35-7 in the regular season on their way to the #1 seed. Unfortunately for them, Fouts shit in the bed against the Oilers in the Divisional and threw 5 INTs (4 to Vernon Perry) in their 17-14 loss. Amazingly the Oilers coaching staff figured out all of the Chargers play calls from sidelines, so the Oilers defense knew if the Chargers were gonna run or pass every play. Sure that's a lame excuse for them losing especially with Earl Campbell hurt, but knowing if its a pass or run is a huge advantage. If the Chargers won that Houston game, I guarantee you they would have beat the Steelers in AFCC. They matched up realyl well against that 79 Steeler team and it would have been in SD instead of 'cozy' 3 Rivers. And then the Rams against Chargers in SB14... no contest. Missing Ring to me.

The 80 SD team was better than the 81 team too... but the cracks started to show with their defense... especially in that AFCC against the Raiders.

The real reason why NFL films picked the 81 team was b/c of the drama that occurred. Dumping John Jefferson for Wes Chandler. Getting rid of Fred Dean just b/c the owner was so damn cheap (freaking insane!). And then the Epic Dolphins game & the Freezer Bowl. Good stories make better TV. Hell, we all know that the Browns of 86 or 87 would have gotten destroyed in Super Bowls if they actually won one of those AFCC games against Denver. B/c the 86&87 Browns both lost in heartbreaking fashion, NFL Films portrays them as great teams that didn't win the whole thing, instead of realistically what was two good Brown teams in a severely inferior AFC.
    Oh yeah, I have no problem with giving them a show, and the '81 team probably does have the bets narrative. It's just that whenever people put them on "best of" lists - or, right before this year's SB, Phil Simms listing them as the single best team to not reach the Super Bowl, it goes way way way too far.

Would have loved to see Reed, seeing as it was a big deal for him to finally get a ring and Lewis was out for part of the year, but I guess every other word would have been "man...you know man.... man, I tell you man" lol

LOVE YOU ED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Would have loved to see Reed, seeing as it was a big deal for him to finally get a ring and Lewis was out for part of the year, but I guess every other word would have been "man...you know man.... man, I tell you man" lol

LOVE YOU ED
    I agree...Reed would have been perfect IMHO, but it's understood that with him moving on, it wasn't going to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.