Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Eric DeCosta interview

Listening to interview on 105.7 with Eric Decosta. Here are a few highlights.

They liked Elam and Cyprian in the first round. They like Elam a bit more because they wanted to get faster, he faced better competition, and they have some connections with his family. They worried Dallas was going to take Elam at 31. They also liked Swearinger as a back-up plan.

In the second round they liked Brown from K State, Moore from UCONN, and Bostic from Florida and were banking on one of the ILB's falling to them.

In third round they thought they were going to get a tight end or wide receiver but they all got picks, leaving them with the Brandon Williams pick. FYI, players picked in the third include.

Travis Kelce, TE (63) Chiefs
    Terrance Williams (74) Cowboys
    Keneen Allen (76) Chargers
    Marquise Goodwin (78) Bills
    Marcus Wheaton (79) Steelers
    Reed Jordan, TE (85) Redskins
    Steadman Bailey, (92) Rams

(I liked Allen and Weaton)

They think Simon will contribute right away on special teams and he could be a third down Sam backer. He'll be a work in progress teaching him to drop into coverage. They they he won't have a problem setting the edge.

Kyle Juszczyk. They aren't sure if he can block straight up inside the tackles. Will find out in camp.

Kapron Lewis-Moore. Sounded very excited about him. See him as an eventual starter who had a third round grade. Will PUP him and see how it goes.

He mentioned that Caldwell is finally putting his stamp on the offense and very much influenced the type of players they looked at in the draft.

Went out of his way to say expects big things from Ed Dickson and Deonte Thompson. I got the feeling with Dickson it is a case of living up to potential. With Thompson he sounded like they think he will really show something. He also mentioned Doss but it sounded more like a courtesy.

Said there were 35 draftable players who were not selected so the UDFA class will be better than most years. There are still two guys out there they are trying to bring in that they are very high on. A local WR and a defensive lineman who played in the south west is all he'd say.

Blog Entries

Re: Eric DeCosta interview

Confirmed my hunch that Teo wasn't even on their radar.

Blog Entries

I meant to listen in and forgot. Great summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    They liked Elam and Cyprian in the first round. They like Elam a bit more because they wanted to get faster, he faced better competition, and they have some connections with his family. They worried Dallas was going to take Elam at 31. They also liked Swearinger as a back-up plan.
    I personally wanted Cyprien a little more but I can't argue with the competition aspect and the connections already in place with Elam. Swearinger would have been a little bit of a reach in rd. 1.

In the second round they liked Brown from K State, Moore from UCONN, and Bostic from Florida and were banking on one of the ILB's falling to them.
    Brown to me is superior to any of those guys. Pumped we got him.

In third round they thought they were going to get a tight end or wide receiver but they all got picks, leaving them with the Brandon Williams pick. FYI, players picked in the third include.

Travis Kelce, TE (63) Chiefs
    Terrance Williams (74) Cowboys
    Keneen Allen (76) Chargers
    Marquise Goodwin (78) Bills
    Marcus Wheaton (79) Steelers
    Reed Jordan, TE (85) Redskins
    Steadman Bailey, (92) Rams

(I liked Allen and Weaton)
    I am not overly upset we missed out on any of those players. I would have been OK with any of them except Goodwin and Reed.

He mentioned that Caldwell is finally putting his stamp on the offense and very much influenced the type of players they looked at in the draft.

Went out of his way to say expects big things from Ed Dickson and Deonte Thompson. I got the feeling with Dickson it is a case of living up to potential. With Thompson he sounded like they think he will really show something. He also mentioned Doss but it sounded more like a courtesy.
    I would love to see Dickson rise up. And Thompson has ridiculous speed. If he can become a solid option that would be awesome.

All we ever heard about Doss during the draft was his hands and his hands are what have looked the worst (besides injuries). Small sample size I know. Not ready to give up on him but he needs to show me some fortitude.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Confirmed my hunch that Teo wasn't even on their radar.
    As much as you mention him, I wouldn't be surprised if you were the voice pretending to be his girlfriend. Stalker :p

Thanks Shas...great review.
    I wonder how much of Boldin's production will be replaced by a traditional WR, and how much the Ravens plan on replacing it with more 2 TE patterns, ala the Patriots?

Blog Entries

Sounds like they were going with one of the Safeties in round 1 as long as they were available.

It's great that DeCosta talks after each draft. He gives good insight as to what the thought process was. When he says how Caldwell influenced this draft I see the Juszczyk pick as the prime example.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Thanks Shas...great review.I wonder how much of Boldin's production will be replaced by a traditional WR, and how much the Ravens plan on replacing it with more 2 TE patterns, ala the Patriots?
    If none of our B squad WRs step up I assume we will see a lot of TE action.

Is it just me or does Dickson seem to bobble the ball a lot? Whereas Pitta is very surehanded.

I would like to see Dickson (and his speed) utilized more under Caldwell (until he starts dropping balls....).
    Last edited by bt12483; 05-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Deonte Thompson really intrigues me. If he shows good route running and hands, our offense will be utterly unstoppable. As it is I think we are looking at a team that will put up 450+ points in 2013.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    As much as you mention him, I wouldn't be surprised if you were the voice pretending to be his girlfriend. Stalker :p
    lol

I wonder what kind of input Caldwell gave.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I am not overly upset we missed out on any of those players. I would have been OK with any of them except Goodwin and Reed.

I think Reed would have been a very good pick.

He's basically an Aaron Hernandez clone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I don't want too much of my own bias to filter what DeCosta said about Dickson. To report fairly he said that Dickson looked physically better than he'd ever seen him. I don't know if that is a reference to past injuries, or if he's finally bulked up a bit more to be a better blocker. He also said that Dickson looked more confident in and around the facility, as if he now finally feels like he belongs. Which is interesting.

You think about how Dickson has shown flashes of very good productivity--clutch or athletic catches--but too often he's dropped balls or not gotten to a spot. I can easily equate that with being tentative. I get the impression, compared to Pitta for instance, that he has not been a sure route runner and he doesn't turn and find the ball as if he expects it to be there. It's almost like he is surprised if he's open or if the ball comes to him.

Now, I'm really projecting my own subjectivity there. Nonetheless, DeCosta's comment about Dickson looking confident is one I want to attach to my own observations about Dickson appearing tentative at times.

Which brings me back to my original comment that I get the feeling that DeCosta (and I) are reaching for any sign that Dickson is going to live up to what they thought he'd be when they used a third round pick on him. If he played as aggressively and decisively as Boldin there's no reason he could not be just as difficult a match up as Boldin was for opposing defenses.

Blog Entries

I listened to the interview as well. Decosta appears to be a straight shooter, although he wouldn't confirm or deny that our starting LT is on the roster. I like how he outlined what their thought process was during the draft as things started to unfold (what the hell was Dallas thinking), which partially dictated how we picked. FWIW, I am very excited about this draft class. I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 starters from it.