Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: By The Beard of Zeus...Jaime Dukes actually said something nice about Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Many have disagreed, but I would like to see the Ravens use Torrey like the Giants use Victor Cruz. Granted, Cruz has much more short-area quickness than Torrey, but I think that Torrey does have that YAC capability. The Giants use Cruz on deep patterns also.
    That's exactly what I want to see. CBs give him a nice cushion so they don't get burned. Take advantage of that with some short throws and YAC. Force them to play up tighter on him, then hit him for the deep strike. Obviously he has to demonstrate the ability to run the routes properly and shed the defender effectively. But other than one time in a preseason game, I haven't really seen us try it.

Blog Entries

Re: By The Beard of Zeus...Jaime Dukes actually said something nice about Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    Boldin was elite talent. It didnt show up on the stat sheet during his time in Bmore but he had legit #1 numbers in AZ and San Francisco
    we got boldin at age 29. past his prime.

He was also targeted more on those teams.and ran different routes that suited his skillset.

I know this is a Ravens board, and most criticism of Flacco is taken as trolling, but in order to have an "elite receiver" you have to have a quarterback that is able to post elite regular season numbers. Flacco is not that guy

Blog Entries

Boldin was elite talent. It didnt show up on the stat sheet during his time in Bmore but he had legit #1 numbers in AZ and San Francisco
    In a pass heavy offense where he was the #2 and on a team with literally no other WR option on the team... yes. Boldin is not a #1 WR that were talking about. You put a complimentary WR in as your #1 hes going to produce very well that doesnt mean hes the all around threat that a true #1 wr is. Not every team has a #1 WR, but everyone has a WR they throw to like they are.

I know this is a Ravens board, and most criticism of Flacco is taken as trolling, but in order to have an "elite receiver" you have to have a quarterback that is able to post elite regular season numbers. Flacco is not that guy
    thats kind of BS. you can have an Elite WR like say Josh Gordon, with a bunch of nobodies throwing him the ball. You can have a Megatron account for nearly half the yards his QB throws for. A Fitz that has had astring of horrible QBs still get him the ball... the difference is those elites can help make the QB better by being reliable no matter down or distance. Flacco has never had a guy like that. No matter how much people love Boldin, he was not nearly consistent enough in this offense to be considered on the same level as those others.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 04-16-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

so please explain josh Gordon.please explain Larry fitz. Your theory fails.

You can easily have an elite wr without an elite QB.

Guys like AJ and Julio would put up numbers regardless of their QB 9.9/10 times. It would have to be a truly horrible situation for them to not produce off of their own elite talent.
    Last edited by bt12483; 04-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.

I meant elite stats, because that seems to be what alot of people judge receivers on. It might come as a surprise but the Cleveland Browns had 4400 passing yards last year, 500 more than we did.

Fitz has not had 1000 yards since 2011

Blog Entries

What about Cam's offense strikes you as developing elite receivers or elite QB's?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I meant elite stats, because that seems to be what alot of people judge receivers on. It might come as a surprise but the Cleveland Browns had 4400 passing yards last year, 500 more than we did.

it fails any way you slice it. Gordon put up elite stats with no one at QB.

Fitzgerald is still elite even without 1000 yards. He has been in one of the worst offensive scenarios in the league the past few seasons, with a horrible OL and mostly horrible QBs outside of what Palmer has left. Before that were guys like Skelton etc.

The point remains...an elite WR stands on his own. That is what makes him elite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    What about Cam's offense strikes you as developing elite receivers or elite QB's?
    Just to play devils advocate i suppose the SD offense could be used as a rebuttal. But that mainly ran through LT.

Blog Entries

Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron.

What receiver or TE did the Ravens had (or have) that even come close to those two players?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Just to play devils advocate is suppose the SD offense could be used as a rebuttal. But that mainly ran through LT.
    That's just my point.

Cam's offense was great at developing a robust ground game. LT, Le'Ron McClain, McGahee, Rice, and so on. His version of the ACO goes through the RB. That's just his style.

Kubiak's offense is heavily predicated on the run, but also uses a much more modern route tree and passing concepts than what Cam did.

Josh Gordon...200+ targets last year, hence the inflated stats. But if you want to crown him as an elite WR be my guest. It doesnt really matter, my point is that our system is not set up to produce those kind of numbers, which is why even when we have elite talent like Boldin it doesnt show up on the stat sheet.

Im sure if we got another elite receiver we would be better, theres no doubt about that...but who would we get? Who is available? I think the main point of Jamie Dukes was calling out the FO for not giving Flacco enough weapons, but to me they have done a good enough job in that area for the most part.

Then last year they tried to increase our pass attempts drastically while also losing our best receiver. It didnt work which is why we need to go back to a run first system.