Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Oher isn't a free agent until 2014 for the record. He signed a 5 year deal in 09. There actually looking to do this deal a year and half early.
    I know I was just talking about what their contracts will do to the overall market, should have made that more clear.

That is 5 deals that will have an impact on what he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    jsut to be clear, you are saying that he is NOT a top tier LT right?
    I can't believe you mean the opposite.
    Gaither or Oher?? JK.

Oher is not a good LT, but he may have to play there for another season. I had McKinnie at LT, Oher at RT, Yanda at RG and KO at LG pencilled in as TC closed. Shows what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Gaither or Oher?? JK.

Oher is not a good LT, but he may have to play there for another season. I had McKinnie at LT, Oher at RT, Yanda at RG and KO at LG pencilled in as TC closed. Shows what I know.
    Ok i thoughts so, and agree with you. Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW, Gaither is one of the better OT's in football both games a year he plays. The one game he's played this year he was FLAT OUT DOMINANT until the 2nd to last play when he got reinjured, and then almost singlehandedly Cundiffed away the game on the last snap. so... take that as yo will. The promise is obviously there, but the work ethic/health obviously is not.

Ok i thoughts so, and agree with you. Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW, Gaither is one of the better OT's in football both games a year he plays. The one game he's played this year he was FLAT OUT DOMINANT until the 2nd to last play when he got reinjured, and then almost singlehandedly Cundiffed away the game on the last snap. so... take that as yo will. The promise is obviously there, but the work ethic/health obviously is not.
    when fit or wanting to play, which ever people believe, he's one of the best LTs in football.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    when fit or wanting to play, which ever people believe, he's one of the best LTs in football.
    I'm not sure how many people in Bmore watched the one game this year in which Gaither played, as there was an important Orioles game, but he was awesome. I think I am actually underplaying hwo good he was. I'm not sure I've seen Joe Thomas or Jake Long play that well in a couple of years...

I'm in the minority but I think Oher has become a good left tackle. He's played well this year. I think the team likes his development. Having Kelechi allows Oher to finally stay in one position and develop. The flip flopping from side to side probably slowed down his development. Besides the Eagles game, I think he played pretty well. He may never be an all pro but that's not necessary. The majority of our woes on the line has either been at LG or RT.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

I'm not sure how many people in Bmore watched the one game this year in which Gaither played, as there was an important Orioles game, but he was awesome. I think I am actually underplaying hwo good he was. I'm not sure I've seen Joe Thomas or Jake Long play that well in a couple of years...
    I wish people would let this Gaither thing go. He's not coming back, not EVER! He's an injury prone LT. No matter how good you think he is, or could be, it doesn't matter if he is injury prone.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

When it comes to positions like QB and LT...sometimes the devil you know is a better situation than the devil you don't.

Oher will probably never peak out at anything more than a serviceable or (IMO) a below average LT and (also IMO) an average RT, BUT unless you've got a shot at a Joe Thomas or Jake Long type of player in the draft (which isn't happening after the top 10) then keeping a guy like Oher makes a lot of sense.

He's not going to cost much at all, comparatively.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    When it comes to positions like QB and LT...sometimes the devil you know is a better situation than the devil you don't.

Oher will probably never peak out at anything more than a serviceable or (IMO) a below average LT and (also IMO) an average RT, BUT unless you've got a shot at a Joe Thomas or Jake Long type of player in the draft (which isn't happening after the top 10) then keeping a guy like Oher makes a lot of sense.

He's not going to cost much at all, comparatively.
    I agree. I dont think itll be bad to give him an extension. worst case hes our RT and we either draft another LT (likely late and will be about the same but maybe a little better) or we give KO a shot. I dont think this staff is against moving pieces based on performance, and KO has more upside at this point, so even if theyre playing similarly this year, by next KO may have passed him.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Like Gota mentioned, they're likely trying to restructure so they don't take such a cap hit next year; and that means extending. He is a very dependable guy, even though he has his limitations. They may be considering their options; of which one would be to move on...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!