Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5455565758 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Plus, he turns 28 in November, which is a bit old for a player entering his 5th season. This isn't a sour grapes justification of why he was expendable from a Raven fan. This is the opinion I've seen from every piece of analysis out there. I'm not sure there was a move that was rated as worse so far this offseason than what Miami gave Ellerbe.
    Look below at Ozzies reaction when Ellerbe's agent told him what he's looking for on Tuesday morning.

Blog Entries

I think the only reason we get negative marks on it is because it was "our #1 priority"

That said, it was pretty obvious Miami pushed all the chips onto the table there. 7 per is 5% of the current salary cap, for a guy who went from "not worth a RFA tender" to a SB starter in one season.

In a few years, we can re-evaluate that one. For now, I'd call it a smart fold.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 24m

Reggie Dunn, All-American Utah kick returner, ran a 4.26 in the 40-yard dash today at Utes' campus Pro Day workout.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 24m

Reggie Dunn, All-American Utah kick returner, ran a 4.26 in the 40-yard dash today at Utes' campus Pro Day workout.
    He was named on ESPN's all Pac-12 team for some amazing stats like a 51.3 kickoff return average. That said we got Jacoby Jones.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...-25-2#comments

Blog Entries

There are still so many potential Free Agent acquisitions out there for the Ravens:

Elvis Dumervil
    Antoine Winfield
    Richard Seymour
    Michael Huff
    Nnamdi Asomugha
    James Harrison
    Daryl Smith
    Bryant McKinnie
    Charles Woodson
    Karlos Dansby
    Casey Hampton.

As usual, the Ravens are going to get great value in the coming months.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    There are still so many potential Free Agent acquisitions out there for the Ravens:

Elvis Dumervil
    Antoine Winfield
    Richard Seymour
    Michael Huff
    Nnamdi Asomugha
    James Harrison
    Daryl Smith
    Bryant McKinnie
    Charles Woodson
    Karlos Dansby
    Casey Hampton.

As usual, the Ravens are going to get great value in the coming months.
    Add a few more -- Darrius Heyward-Bey, Shaun Phillips, and Kerry Rhodes. Heyward-Bey would be a guy I'd basically make a token offer to and see if he takes it, just as a flyer on a guy with a lot of pure talent.

Phillips still had 9.5 sacks last year and can still rush the quarterback, but he'll likely want to be a starter and he's a UFA, and Ozzie has really only been looking at guys who were cut, so I'm not really sure how likely that signing would be.

Kerry Rhodes is the guy I really want Ozzie to go after. He was cut, so he wouldn't affect comp picks next year, and he can still play FS at a really high level. This is a weak market for safeties and I think he could be had for a very team-friendly price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Add a few more -- Darrius Heyward-Bey, Shaun Phillips, and Kerry Rhodes. Heyward-Bey would be a guy I'd basically make a token offer to and see if he takes it, just as a flyer on a guy with a lot of pure talent.

Phillips still had 9.5 sacks last year and can still rush the quarterback, but he'll likely want to be a starter and he's a UFA, and Ozzie has really only been looking at guys who were cut, so I'm not really sure how likely that signing would be.

Kerry Rhodes is the guy I really want Ozzie to go after. He was cut, so he wouldn't affect comp picks next year, and he can still play FS at a really high level. This is a weak market for safeties and I think he could be had for a very team-friendly price.
    What was Rhodes' deal in NY? Was he a problem child, or am I misremembering?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    What was Rhodes' deal in NY? Was he a problem child, or am I misremembering?
    Well, Rex didn't like that he was involved with various things in the New York media. He liked to see himself in magazines and things like that, and apparently that was enough to land him in the doghouse. I don't recall hearing of any "real" locker room or disciplinary problems, and he was very quiet out in Arizona.

I'm not going to place too much stock in Rex Ryan's ability to evaluate character and integrity, personally... I don't see Rhodes' conflict with him to be a barrier to bringing him on board.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, Rex didn't like that he was involved with various things in the New York media. He liked to see himself in magazines and things like that, and apparently that was enough to land him in the doghouse. I don't recall hearing of any "real" locker room or disciplinary problems, and he was very quiet out in Arizona.

I'm not going to place too much stock in Rex Ryan's ability to evaluate character and integrity, personally... I don't see Rhodes' conflict with him to be a barrier to bringing him on board.
    Okay. I just thought I remembered him being benched for something, or thought I did.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Okay. I just thought I remembered him being benched for something, or thought I did.
    here's a link for more insight i found. Maybe helpful.

http://thejetsblog.com/main-page/fox...hodes-benched/

The issue of course with signing these possible free agents is our tight salary cap, not only with this year but the future years. So it isn't necessarily the best interests of the team to get into a multi-year contract with the likes of Dumervil or Huff or DHB or whoever if we only get into big salary cap troubles next year.

In that sense the Spears and Canty contracts are good because they are basically stop-gap. Harrison, if he drops his salary demands low enough, would be a good fit too as basically a one year rental. Ultimately we need our current and future draft picks to fill in the voids left by Lewis, Ellerbe, Reed, Kruger, Boldin, Pollard, etc. If we could get the likes of Huff or Rhodes or Dumervil to sign a very cap friendly contract then great, but we can't expect it.

Long-term, we aren't finding our solutions in the free agent market. That's a suckers game played by losers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    The issue of course with signing these possible free agents is our tight salary cap, not only with this year but the future years. So it isn't necessarily the best interests of the team to get into a multi-year contract with the likes of Dumervil or Huff or DHB or whoever if we only get into big salary cap troubles next year.

In that sense the Spears and Canty contracts are good because they are basically stop-gap. Harrison, if he drops his salary demands low enough, would be a good fit too as basically a one year rental. Ultimately we need our current and future draft picks to fill in the voids left by Lewis, Ellerbe, Reed, Kruger, Boldin, Pollard, etc. If we could get the likes of Huff or Rhodes or Dumervil to sign a very cap friendly contract then great, but we can't expect it.

Long-term, we aren't finding our solutions in the free agent market. That's a suckers game played by losers.
    There are solutions for dealing with next year. Suggs will be in the last year of his contract and could be moved for almost $8 million in cap space. Ngata and Yanda are other options. I agree with you that free agency is the suckers, also known and the Redskins, way to build a team. That doesn't mean that you should dismiss a top free agent at a position of need if he becomes available. It all depends on how good you think the player will be. If there is a guy who you think can have a huge impact you have to consider him even if 3 years down the road he could be expensive to keep.