Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Flacco had no time to set up on that play because the blitzer came free off the edge. It was a full house blitz and we didn't have enough people to block it.
    It was poor awareness. Period.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Mcnair couldn't win in the rain and Flacco can't win on the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    This TEAM shit the bed today. If you can take anything away from this game about Flacco is that he's not so special that he can step up and take over the game. When enough things go right he excels and when alot of things go bad, he has a tendency to make them worse. That's not uncommon or unheard of it. It takes a really special player to just will his team to a win. Flacco is not that guy.
    I agree. I think the most pertinent question, given that, is what is that level of performance worth paying for?

I'm not the Cam hater that most around here seem to be, but I wish they'd gotten rid of him this offseason just so that the Ravens could have evaluated Flacco's performance under a different OC. That might give a much better idea of how good Flacco actually is. As it stands, it's hard to tell sometimes where Flacco's weaknesses end and where Cameron's playcalling foibles begin.

I think the problems are probably close to evenly split between the two, but I don't know. All I know is that based on the seven games played so far this year, it's hard to justify a big contract for Flacco. The inconsistency of his play is inexplicable. Since the start of the 2011 season, he's had nine games with a rating above 100, but eight with a rating below 70. Only two of the games with a rating above 100 were on the road, and all but one of the below-70 ratings were on the road. I realize that everybody has a bad day now and again, but that's an almost schizophrenic swing between great performance at home and terrible performance on the road. I don't track the stats of any other QBs, but I wonder if there's another QB in the league who has such an enormous differential in QB rating at home and on the road. Last year, there was only a 7.3 difference in Flacco's rating at home and on the road--this year it's a mind-blowing 51.5 at this point...

The only thing that's really different this year is the emphasis on the no-huddle. Based on the evidence, I'd say it's not worth it on the road.
    Last edited by redmike34; 10-22-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Disagree. It was a three step drop, Flacco hit his second and was nailed.

Now you could argue that we shouldn't have been throwing at all in that situation, but the play as it was called left Flacco no chance. He, along with the rest of the team not named Jones or Suggs, looked like crap all day. But that safety wasn't Joe.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    This TEAM shit the bed today. If you can take anything away from this game about Flacco is that he's not so special that he can step up and take over the game. When enough things go right he excels and when alot of things go bad, he has a tendency to make them worse. That's not uncommon or unheard of it. It takes a really special player to just will his team to a win. Flacco is not that guy.
    I agree and there are only a few QBs who i can put in that catagory and others not in that caregory have also won SBs.

Flacco is a great qb and def top 10 but its usually the top 5 that are the ones that can take a game over when everything else fails.

5. Re: Mcnair couldn't win in the rain and Flacco can't win on the road...

Some quick #'s:

47 called passes - 121 yds 1 TD (2.57 per) 1 safety & 1 TD the other way
    12 called runs (including 2 by Flacco) 55 yds (4.58 per)

37 plays from the shotgun only 1 run
    A good defense like HOU becomes dominant if you announce that you're passing the ball (w/ the shotgun) pre-snap. Defenders pin back their ears and if they don't get immediate push they get set to jump and swat passes.

Houston is the team that timed Miami's cadence watching Hard Knocks. Surely they were well aware that the Ravens shotgun involves Yanda slapping Birk's thigh, then Birk rocking back and forth and snapping immediately. So in addition to "announcing" intentions to pass the Ravens also give the defense a head start if they're paying attention in the shotgun (WHICH THEY USED 37 TIMES).

Lastly the Ravens forced 5 punts on defense (same as the Texans) including the first 3 possessions. It's hard to hold an already maligned defense too accountable in a game when the offense only manages 21 min of possession and gives up 9 points themselves.

The offense had 9 possessions of less than 1:30 & 5 of those lasted less than 1 minute.

Blog Entries

He wasn't sacked the instant the ball was snapped. He had enough time to check his blindside, instead he never even looked to the left side of the field.
    The most charitable explanation of this bit of idiocy is that you live on a planet where time runs slower than it does on Earth. One thousand one, one thouWHAM! Oh yeah, plenty of time.
    You have to have better awareness than that.
    He had enough awareness to avoid fumbling--& that's all the awareness he had time for.
    Unacceptable when your in your in your own end zone. That was a game changing play.
    What was he supposed to do, just fling the ball anywhere? Are you aware that the penalty for intentional grounding in the endzone is a safety? Doesn't sound like it.
    P. S. Take a deep breath for me.
    PS Anyone who really thinks that Flacco should be blamed for that safety is simply not worth wasting time reading. Welcome to my Ignore List.
    Last edited by lobachevsky; 10-22-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Flacco had a very bad game, no doubt, but blaming that safety on him is a stretch to say the least. He didn't have a chance on that play. Pass protection was poor most of the game but that play was the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Flacco had a very bad game, no doubt, but blaming that safety on him is a stretch to say the least. He didn't have a chance on that play. Pass protection was poor most of the game but that play was the worst.
    Its tough to blame Flacco on that play because that play shouldn't have been called to begin with. The play before it shouldn't have been either. They had 1st and 10 and ran 6 yards. 2nd and 4 and they pass? Then fumble? Then 3rd and 6 and they pass again? And get sacked? The run was working. So they call some slow developing pass plays out of the shotgun? Baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    So you have no idea what you're talking about?

http://www.ravenspr.com/player_bios/joe_flacco.pdf

Among all NFL quarterbacks since 2008, Flacco has produced
    22 total road wins (including playoffs), second to only Eli
    Manning (23)

That stat took me all of two seconds to look up. Before speaking, research.
    Just in case it was missed ....

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    The most charitable explanation of this bit of idiocy is that you live on a planet where time runs slower than it does on Earth. One thousand one, one thouWHAM! Oh yeah, plenty of time.He had enough awareness to avoid fumbling--& that's all the awareness he had time for. What was he supposed to do, just fling the ball anywhere? Are you aware that the penalty for intentional grounding in the endzone is a safety? Doesn't sound like it.PS Anyone who really thinks that Flacco should be blamed for that safety is simply not worth wasting time reading. Welcome to my Ignore List.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Dead wrong. There's nothing you can do when a pass rusher comes through clean from the blind side. There's a reason why they call it the blind side. He was there in two seconds flat.

Houston yesterday was the most pissed off team in the league after getting curb stomped at home the week before. The Ravens offense didn't execute starting with the offensive line. It spells a tough day. We still didn't even score the fewest points this week. Some offenses this week were worse than ours, against teams nowhere near as good defensively as Houston. It only looks so bad because on the other side of the ball our defense let them run the score up like there was nothing they could do about it.