Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Rumours: Ravens offer a third round pick for Osi

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Osi is trouble for opposing QBs
    FTFY
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

I'd make that trade. Consider two things. Ravens will likely receive 2 high conpensatory picks for losing Grubbs and JJ to large contracts.
    The most Important thing in football is having a strong pass rush in the 4th quarter of games. Rushing the passer late in games when you a dead tired is the hardest thing to do in pro football. To have that you need depth and talent. "the most important thing in football is having a good pass rush in the 4th quarter" Bill Walsh.
    The Ravens pass rush was pretty anemic by seasons end and the postseason. I'm still mad we let Barnes go. Pass rushers don't grow on trees. More the better. Imagine pushing against a 325 lineman all day then chasing the QB. Then imagine doing that late in the game with the game on the line after almost playing a game for 3 hours? It's exhausting.

problem then is, do we have to change to a 4-3? well not change, but play in it more often? or can he got 3-4?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I would in this case. Rice, Lewis, Reed, Boldin, they could all be gone next year, among others. I understand the need to have picks to have continued, long term success, but they have to look at the roster and see that this could be their last legit shot at a Super Bowl for at least a year or two. The window isn't going to seal shut but I believe they are going to have to do some major retooling to the roster after this year. I wouldn't think twice about giving up a third for Osi, even if just for a year.

Blog Entries

This debate came up last year and we came to the same conclusion. The Ravens will not give up a mid round pick and will not give him an extension. He is not a fit for this system. He and Kiwanuka are strictly 4-3 End rushers. They're not even run defenders. You have to stop the run to consistently play on this defense and win this division.

You are essentially spending a third round pick on a one year rental of a nickel end.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I'd make that trade. Consider two things. Ravens will likely receive 2 high conpensatory picks for losing Grubbs and JJ to large contracts.
    The most Important thing in football is having a strong pass rush in the 4th quarter of games. Rushing the passer late in games when you a dead tired is the hardest thing to do in pro football. To have that you need depth and talent. "the most important thing in football is having a good pass rush in the 4th quarter" Bill Walsh.
    The Ravens pass rush was pretty anemic by seasons end and the postseason. I'm still mad we let Barnes go. Pass rushers don't grow on trees. More the better. Imagine pushing against a 325 lineman all day then chasing the QB. Then imagine doing that late in the game with the game on the line after almost playing a game for 3 hours? It's exhausting.
    The problem with this thinking is that those compensatory picks cannot be traded. That is how Baltimore got caught on the back end of the Evans deal. When it came time to draft, they had to sit back and wait for guys to fall to them, while other teams snatched them up, because they couldn't move those picks. They moved one for Pierce that they got in a trade, but that was it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

That would be a total waste. Isn't Osi in the last year of his current contract? A 3rd round pick for a one year rental is to much. They won't have the cap space to resign Osi this offseason because he's hell bent on breaking the bank. This a Redskins type move (see the Jason Taylor trade). Not how the Ravens operate.

I HOPE it's all speculation and rumor. I think I'd throw up in my mouth a lil bit if the FO traded a 3rd round pick for an expensive, one year rental, of a player who offers nowhere near Sizzle's versatility. With all of the talk that we wanna pay young players, ASCENDING, it'd be a contradiction and stupid turn around to TRADE for Osi, when he'll be a free agent next year REGARDLESS. Knee jerk, overreaction to Suggs going down. We'll be fine, next man up please...

Blog Entries

I think that we all want to see a better pass rush, but not to the point of selling out to get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    problem then is, do we have to change to a 4-3? well not change, but play in it more often? or can he got 3-4?
    Well over the past few sessions we've played more 4-3 than 3-4. Though towards the end of last season they started going to more 3-4. The issue is who takes over JJ's role as the SAM in a 4-3 alignment. And how does Upshaw for that scheme?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think that we all want to see a better pass rush, but not to the point of selling out to get it.
    yeah that pretty much sums it up for me too. He'd be a great addition but the cost is too high both in the pick (if a 3rd would even get him) and his salary

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Well over the past few sessions we've played more 4-3 than 3-4. Though towards the end of last season they started going to more 3-4. The issue is who takes over JJ's role as the SAM in a 4-3 alignment. And how does Upshaw for that scheme?
    2 season ago we were more 4-3 under mattison, last year we were pretty much 50-50 as someone has already said, under pagano, and this year under pees, history says hes mainly 3-4.... You cant really compare one year to the next alignment wise because we have had 3 diff co ords

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    2 season ago we were more 4-3 under mattison, last year we were pretty much 50-50 as someone has already said, under pagano, and this year under pees, history says hes mainly 3-4.... You cant really compare one year to the next alignment wise because we have had 3 diff co ords
    Yes, but they need to work with the talent they have. Looking at the roster now you'd think they have more 3-4 tools, so it makes sense in that regard that they'd go that way more commonly, but you bring in a guy like Osi... you find a way to make it work with the talent.