Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unitas Quote

Unitas Quote

So Im boozing it up in Minneota last night with some co-workers, one of whom happens to be a Indy Colts fan. I made mention that I have a special order Ravens jersey with "Unitas" as the name on the back with the number 19.

Well, this debacle of a human being went ballistic, saying he was and always will be a Colt, blah blah blah. So I politely informed him that Unitas had sworn off the Indy Colts and that his heart was with Baltimore and the Ravens.

Well, he demanded a link, reference, etc until he believed it.

Now normally, I would shrug this off but this dude is so smug, it would make my week if I could print out something and litter his cubicle with it. I cannot find anything on the web (granted, Im searching on the fly).

Does anyone have a link or can point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-08-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Re: Unitas Quote

I don't know about a quote, but he lived and died in Towson, was very active in the Baltimore community, and stood on the sideline of every Ravens home game while he was still alive.

I think these may help.

http://www.baltimorechronicle.com/sports_oct02.html

When the former Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, he embraced the team as if they were his own. In contrast, he refused to participate in activities related to the Baltimore Colts after his old team left town in the middle of the night and headed for Indianapolis. This contrast showed his allegiance to Baltimore, and his love for the game and for good sportsmanship.

http://www.washcp.com/display.php?id=11428

"I rooted for the Ravens, of course," he said. "And we won."

What about the Colts? I found it inconceivable that Johnny U. wouldn't hold some allegiance to the team whose helmets still bear the same blue horseshoe he made sacred. I was wrong.

"The Colts game? The Colts game? Nothing. Nothing," he said, his head shaking back and forth, as if the question caused discomfort. "I have no interest in the Colts

Those two articles are perfect! Thanks!

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

For what it's worth, he also said: "If Mr. Irsay says "good morning" to you, you'd better look out the window to see if the sun is up".

How about telling him that the men's bathroom at Unitas' Golden Arm restaurant was "affectionately" called "The Irsay Room".
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

You may also want to email him these images to go with the articles you send.

Here's a picture of Johnny getting the game ball (from Jim Harbaugh) after the Ravens beat the Colts in 98!

We also have a statue in tribute outside RAVENS Stadium.

Didn't he once say - in response to a question about whether he would root for the Indi Colts - something along the lines of "Why would I root for them? I never played in Indianapolis." I can't remember where that was from though...

- C -

here's a JOE Unitas quote, taken from coltsheritage.com...

My father never played a down of football in Indianapolis. To have him and his Baltimore teammates any way associated with the Indianapolis Colts is simply a bold faced lie by the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The reason Hall of Fames exist is so people can learn the history of the sports they represent. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is ignoring the history of Baltimore football and the men that helped make professional football what it is today.
    O's, Stroh's and Nappy Ho's

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I made mention that I have a special order Ravens jersey with "Unitas" as the name on the back with the number 19.
    :grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    obviously you missed the whole point of this thread.
    O's, Stroh's and Nappy Ho's

Quote Originally Posted by f7eleven View Post
    obviously you missed the whole point of this thread.
    Spend enough time here and you'll notice he usually misses the point.