Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3233343536 LastLast

Re: Jaws' QB Rankings on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    MS in Applied Math, 35+ years doing applied math/stat and math modeling for various government agencies & private contractors. That work for you?
    Frankly I gave you credit for being a math whiz the day you picked 'Lobachevsky' as your screen name. Because you know, "one man deserves the credit, one man deserves the blame..."
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Frankly I gave you credit for being a math whiz the day you picked 'Lobachevsky' as your screen name. Because you know, "one man deserves the credit, one man deserves the blame..."
    You know, of all the times I've noticed lobachevsky here on these boards, I never once made the association to Tom Lehrer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Bozhemoi! You outed me, you, you--nogoodnik! OY! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehrer
    I have a friend in Minsk
    Who has a friend in Pinsk
    Whose friend in Omsk has friend in Tomsk
    With friend in Akhmolinsk...
    ...To be clear, I simply ported my nom de blogue (or is that blague) over from the Blight-for-All board when those clowns started charging for access. But it only became my handle after I was banned under the original, which FTR would have made my profession even more obvious. (Any guesses from the other Sunspot refugees?)

Next: In one word I tell you secret of success at mathematics--but it'll Kostya...

The most powerful tool in mathematics is definition, IMO.

But I'd like to hear your answer too, Loba.

Ok. Think I can guess the answer based on lehrer's column. P word.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 07-20-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    The most powerful tool in mathematics is definition, IMO.
    Oh, tell me about it. About 35 years back I had a 3-day argument with my supervisor (a PhD microeconomist who, as is typical amongst the breed, thought he was Dog's gift to mathematics) over what it meant for a matrix to be positive semi-definite. Three days, a half-dozen textbooks, & the testimony of all the other economists in the office, & the crazy motherfucker still couldn't accept he was wrong.

(Remember why the good Lord made your eyes, boychik! :D)

Blog Entries

Manning 2
    Rodgers 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Manning 2
    Rodgers 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's about right.

I'd would have had my top three as ...

3. Manning
    2. Brady
    1. Rodgers

Manning is too inconsistent in the playoffs to be placed ahead of Brady IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'd would have had my top three as ...

3. Manning
    2. Brady
    1. Rodgers

Manning is too inconsistent in the playoffs to be placed ahead of Brady IMO.
    :word

Blog Entries

The only difference between Manning and Brady in the playoffs is that Manning was never on an elite (and cheating) top-to-bottom team for 3 superbowls. Look at Brady's games against the Broncos in 2005 and against the Chargers (and Colts, 79.6 QBR and game-losing interception) in 2006 and against the Chargers in 2007 and against the Ravens in 2009 (one of the worst first quarter QB performances in NFL history) and against the Jets in 2010 and against the Ravens in 2011 and against the Ravens in 2012... Oh, and he had a QBR in the 70s in 3 of his 6 playoff games in his first two Super Bowl seasons. Pretty much, Brady had one great postseason in 2004 (though nowhere close to Joe Flacco-good) and then he was nothing special, sometimes downright bad, every other year.

See what I mean by overrated? Only two postseasons has Brady not had at least one sub-75 QBR performance. And one of those was his one and done performance against the Jets in 2010, which was an 89 QBR but anyone who watched that game saw he played dismally and uninspired.

On any other team, Brady is super lucky to have just one Super Bowl. Joe Flacco is five times (at least) the clutch performer come playoff time.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    The only difference between Manning and Brady in the playoffs is that Manning was never on an elite (and cheating) top-to-bottom team for 3 superbowls. Look at Brady's games against the Broncos in 2005 and against the Chargers (and Colts, 79.6 QBR and game-losing interception) in 2006 and against the Chargers in 2007 and against the Ravens in 2009 (one of the worst first quarter QB performances in NFL history) and against the Jets in 2010 and against the Ravens in 2011 and against the Ravens in 2012... Oh, and he had a QBR in the 70s in 3 of his 6 playoff games in his first two Super Bowl seasons. Pretty much, Brady had one great postseason in 2004 (though nowhere close to Joe Flacco-good) and then he was nothing special, sometimes downright bad, every other year.

See what I mean by overrated? Only two postseasons has Brady not had at least one sub-75 QBR performance. And one of those was his one and done performance against the Jets in 2010, which was an 89 QBR but anyone who watched that game saw he played dismally and uninspired.

On any other team, Brady is super lucky to have just one Super Bowl. Joe Flacco is five times (at least) the clutch performer come playoff time.
    Again with the overrated stuff?

Go through Joe's playoff resume (or any elite QB's post season record) and you'll see he's had very similar QBR numbers, especially in his first season.

Cheery picking playoff games for Brady which you consider to be sub bar doesn't make your point. It doesn't even come close because it completely ignores the history of the position.

EVERY QB at this level has bad playoff games. You can take every QB at this level and make the same argument.

And I'll even agree with you on one point. Over the past five seasons, Joe is the better playoff QB. But that still doesn't prove your notion of Brady being overrated.

I like Rodgers. I think he's slightly overrated among the media.

I can't stand Brady. Can't stand his ass. No way he's overrated though.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver