Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

An armed citizenry does exactly what you want JAB. It helps the police.

Cops are not equiped or trained for protecting the individual (or a classroom full of kids). If someone is trying to break into your home, rob you on the street, trying to assult / hurt a loved one, the crime is going to be done and the attacker will be miles away by the time the police get to the scene.

I see nothing but an advantage if someone, should they so choose and with the commensurate training, to arm themselves. 99% of the cops I know, both friends and family members here in conservative Texas and in liberal Maryland, feel the exact same way. It's the political entities such as the Chiefs of Police Association that skew the perception.

"When seconds matter, the police are minutes away" isn't just some quaint saying. It's the truth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Exactly. And lets not forget, police carry guns to protect themselves, not you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I support instant background checks like Houston has said, there is nothing burdensome about that.

I was referring to the right to privacy. You said what about him purchasing all that ammo online, his credit card should have thrown up a red flag. If I own one gun and by ammo in bulk you're saying my credit card company should alert my the government? I am saying what about privacy? IF you bought 500 condoms online should you're credit card company alert the government because you might be a serial rapist?
    valid point, but again just saying "nothing we can do" doesnt help at all. Tracing ammo sales would certainly be a broad spectrum tactic that would uncover the criminal aspect as well. Kind of depends on your definition of "reasonable cause".
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Cops are not equiped or trained for protecting the individual (or a classroom full of kids). If someone is trying to break into your home, rob you on the street, trying to assult / hurt a loved one, the crime is going to be done and the attacker will be miles away by the time the police get to the scene.

I see nothing but an advantage if someone, should they so choose and with the commensurate training, to arm themselves. 99% of the cops I know, both friends and family members here in conservative Texas and in liberal Maryland, feel the exact same way. It's the political entities such as the Chiefs of Police Association that skew the perception.

"When seconds matter, the police are minutes away" isn't just some quaint saying. It's the truth.
    which is why im not for keeping guns out of responsible owners hands, but telling those that arent or choose not to, youre shit out of luck isnt helping either. Im not trying to take anyones gun, but i dont want to forced one into mine either. theres common ground somewhere.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    valid point, but again just saying "nothing we can do" doesnt help at all. Tracing ammo sales would certainly be a broad spectrum tactic that would uncover the criminal aspect as well. Kind of depends on your definition of "reasonable cause".
    I am not say "nothing we can do". I am saying two things, 1) I am not sure other than background checks (and in the case of the VT shooter his background check failed IMO) I don't know what you can do. And 2) People have rights, and the moment you start trading any rights for what some call security (ostensibly anyway), you won't stop.

There are two quotes I think apply here.

"It is better to let 100 guilty men go free than to imprison one innocent man"
    (You can try all you want to stop the people who will/may commit crimes, but more often than not you're going to affect the people who won't/aren't)

and

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both"
    (Like I said, if you're willing to trade you're rights, liberties and freedom for a little security, you won't stop)

Blog Entries

I am not say "nothing we can do". I am saying two things, 1) I am not sure other than background checks (and in the case of the VT shooter his background check failed IMO) I don't know what you can do. And 2) People have rights, and the moment you start trading any rights for what some call security (ostensibly anyway), you won't stop.
    I think VT and Aurora both were failures since they had psychological histories but legally purchased guns anyway. I think the Arizona dude also had issues and its coming to light that so did CT but obviously those guns were/or were not given to him by his mother which is another issue and pretty crazy if she willingly gave guns to somebody with mental illness.

Guns are a tricky issue. I dont necessarily disagree with everything said in this discussion as far as liberty and freedom goes, but to me personally guns are an exception. You can say well thats means youll allow it in other ways, but to me guns are made for killing (we can argue it being a tool like a car, but the intent is what matters) and even though its a right, its a right that should be monitored and enforced when necessary. I know plenty of gun owners that agree its simply too easy to get a gun, the question is how to improve it without removing the right. somewhere in the middle lies the answer.
    -JAB

How will tracking ammo uncover the criminal aspect? Even if ammo is tracked, it's not going to be known said purchase was used in the commission of a crime until after the fact.

And criminals will just do a straw purchase anyway -- send in someone who can legally buy the ammo with a clean name.

One element that's lost in this debate (and it's one of the more reasoned debates I've had in a long time -- Kudos), is the enforcement of current laws and to make the penalties more strict.

That, more than anything, would speak to the criminal aspect of this debate while leaving the law abiding folks alone.

Blog Entries

Guns are a tricky issue. I dont necessarily disagree with everything said in this discussion as far as liberty and freedom goes, but to me personally guns are an exception. You can say well thats means youll allow it in other ways, but to me guns are made for killing (we can argue it being a tool like a car, but the intent is what matters) and even though its a right, its a right that should be monitored and enforced when necessary. I know plenty of gun owners that agree its simply too easy to get a gun, the question is how to improve it without removing the right. somewhere in the middle lies the answer.
    This isn't a shot at you, it's just reality. Most people find exceptions in things that don't affect them.

It's like with the "fiscal cliff" you've got all these people saying "just raise the millionaires taxes" I'm thinking who the F are you to empower the government to take more of someone else's money/time.

So proposing suggestions is easier for you than it is people who would feel the affects.

I agree with how HR said Texas does it, instant background checks for all weapons, an AR/AK type rifle go ahead and make it a more comprehensive one/ (in NC you have to go to the Sheriffs department apply for a handgun permit wait 5 days and go back and pick it up).

I could also see some sort of compromise on instant background checks for multiple additional (after the purchase of the weapon) high capacity magazines, but not a 100% sure I'd be okay with that, I'd have to think about it more.

Make the penalties for the laws already in place harsher and make laws for safe storage and people who do not are liable (to what degree can be debated) who do not properly store their weapon. Those along with armed guards (real ones not rent-a-cops) or cops at schools and loosing the restrictions on concealed carry I think wold do a lot and most would agree with.

Blog Entries

Make the penalties for the laws already in place harsher and make laws for safe storage and people who do not are liable (to what degree can be debated) who do not properly store their weapon. Those along with armed guards (real ones not rent-a-cops) or cops at schools and loosing the restrictions on concealed carry I think wold do a lot and most would agree with.
    I wont take offense to your first part because everyone is guilty of it in some aspect, however thats not my intent. Although I'm not a gun owner, I do shoot occasionally and have numerous friends and family who are law abiding responsible gun owners (at least the majority) that id wish to protect their rights as well.

The quoted part is something we do all agree on. Besides stricter background for psychological disorders because i dont think what they do is enough, im pretty much on board with everything.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

The quoted part is something we do all agree on. Besides stricter background for psychological disorders because i dont think what they do is enough, im pretty much on board with everything.
    I think any psychological question marks in your history should show (like the Vt shooter). But I can agree with a pre-screening pysch eval. I think that would be too far.

Ok, I'm behind on this one, and wll speak(type) on several subjects at once.

Like HR, I agree with background checks on all firearms. I'm even not opposed to a reasonable waitng period on all guns. I like the federal process for handgun, and could even be persuaded that all guns be sold that way.

Gun storage is of utmost importance. I think it should be law that gunsafes are required in all homes with children under 18.

I think, if they so choose,and are thusly trained, that Teachers should have the option to have a firearm in school. In addition to armed guards at all schools, willing and competent teachers should have wall mounted biometric(fingerprint ID) safes in their classroom. As HR mentions, it takes some of the delay out of the situation. Again, this should not be forced in any manner, fully voluntary, with qualified individuals that need to test for the privelege yearly.

Re: targeting gun-free zones. Well, it's only obvious from where I sit. Even desperate people seek out low hanging fruit. The Reisterstown Road Corridor in Owings Mills/resiterstown had a serial armed robber this fall. Did he rob jewelry stores? Nope(seperate,very proffessional and potentially inside job hit Antony's). Did he hit liquor stores? Nope. He hit a diner, a pizza hut(twice), a VET( for the cash, not drugs), Popeye's, and other like businesses. He very clearly was targeting places with very little chance of firearm presence. Most businesses had nearly exclusively older female employees. He didn't want to get SHOT. Duh....

I'm not aware of why a civilian should be allowed to purchase a bullet proof vest. Law Enforcement agencies and security companies, yeah. Private citizen? Nope. A non-police security agent should be allowed to take their company issued vest home, but that's about as far as I go on that matter.

But what I take from this whole incident? Guidance Counselors need to be move vocal, and recommend further exploration of troubled kids. They should have the athority to require a psych eval for a kid to return to school. Quarterly meetings and sit-downs with all students should be standard protocol at all schools nationwide.

To me, this isn't a gun control issue as much as it's a mental health issue. Increase school security and counseling budgets.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 12-18-2012 at 05:57 PM.