Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: WRs the Ravens could trade for

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Victor Cruz was a UDFA.
    And Tom Brady was pick 199. Exception to the rule IMO. Even though we do have a decent hit rate for UDFAs. Not saying it is impossible. In fact I probably like Thompson's chances most of any of the WR crew we are counting on.

Thompson's game is very similar to Cruz.
    His speed could be killer for us if he indeed turns into a reliable WR option.

I actually think the starting three receivers on opening day will be Torrey, Doss, and Thompson with Jacoby working in on certain packages.
    I thought Thompson was most impressive last preseason of the second/third sting guys.

I love Jacoby for what he did this past year but I will never trust his hands. Plus he has already failed as a #2 WR in HOU. Like you said: certain packages.

Doss is the wildcard - does he have "it" or not?

DeCosta stated in his interview that they really liked several wide receivers in the 3rd round. Going into the draft, I expected that a few WRs with 2nd round grades could fall into the 3rd and possibly even all the way down to the Ravens' pick, so I'm not surprised by that.

Markus Wheaton, Keenan Allen, Stedman Bailey, Terrance Williams... all guys the Ravens might have been interested in. We don't know specific names but we have it straight from the horse's mouth that the Ravens did not go into the draft satisfied with the WR depth chart. That means something to me.

Obviously the FO was looking to add talent at a lot of positions and there was never a chance they could have gotten everything they wanted, so we can't take TOO much from the interest in WRs, but I'm not at all willing to crown any of the young guys on the roster. If the Ravens would have added any of the guys I mentioned above I would have favored them to win at least the #3 job if not the #2 job out of camp.

I think the Ravens are happy with their depth but they're not done at the position. I strongly expect a receiver to be added either in post-cut FA or by trade. I compare it to the CB situation in 2010--the Ravens opened the offseason with only 1 truly healthy corner in Foxworth with the #2 and #3 guys (Fabian Washington and Webb) coming back from torn ACLs, with punt returner Chris Carr at #4. They didn't draft a CB and said they were happy with who they had, even after Foxworth blew out his ACL.

They traded for Josh Wilson and he proved to be a phenomenal 1-year rental. If I were Ozzie, I'd be picking up the phone to the same guy, Pete Carroll, to see if he'd make a similar deal for Golden Tate. A 5th rounder should get that trade done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    Here's my take.
    A number of things came together to make that fantastic championship run.
    Yes, the line having the best players in the right position helped give Flacco time and the opportunity to step into his throws. He was so accurate and it started showing up from the Giant game on.
    What was the big change? Suddenly his receivers were open...even if sometimes it was just by a yard or two, the difference was they were open and Joe was even more accurate.
    The plays that were being run by Caldwell made much of the difference.
    He called plays that used each player's best talents.
    Boldin, not much separation, but great at using his body to shield the defender from the ball.
    Joe threw the ball perfectly to Q, over and over again, game after game...the best place for Q to catch it.
    For Torrey, he laid it out there for him to run under or on the in routes, right in his chest or stomach.
    For Jacoby, he threw what looked like punts, but still, right to him.
    When Jacoby ran a slant, Joe hit him right in his hands but he dropped it.

It is simple. Use what you have. Use their best talent.
    We now have 4 receivers that can run a 4.4 or better.
    One is over 6'5". Where does Streeter catch the ball the best???
    Deonte Thompson...great speed, where does he catch the ball the best?
    Jacoby and Torrey.
    Pitta and Dickson.
    Doss and Reid.
    And now all the young guys coming in, whether they are H-backs or Boldin size, whatever.

Caldwell will call the right plays for the player combinations.
    Joe will find out where each player likes the ball and succeeds the most.
    This offense will be fine with the receivers we have IF the Oline does their job.
    That's it. I'm not worried about the skill players.
    I'm only concerned with the Oline.
    That makes it all go.
    The one thing that made it all NOT go, has been gone since the Skins game.

Well said. I feel the same way. Flacco can and will make his Wr's better. I personally felt after that gaint game the O was on fire. Yup that one game had me ready for the playoffs. It was a vibe that Flacco needed and wow did he play his ass off. The Oline is the only thing concerning but I due time, Ozzie will give John all the pieces he can to have a great 5 in front of his Superbowl MVP QB

Blog Entries

Well at least Torrey seems confident in our WRs:
    The Ravens emphasized before the draft that adding a wide receiver early was not a top priority.

Ozzie Newsome said it. John Harbaugh said it. Steve Bisciotti said it.

They all pointed to the young players currently on the roster, saying that the replacement to recently-departed receiver Anquan Boldin was already in Baltimore.

But several draft analysts still predicted the Ravens would target a receiver with their first few picks. A number of mock drafts had the Ravens taking a receiver with pick No. 32.

After Baltimore waited until the final round to draft a receiver – Elon’s Aaron Mellette – some fans started questioning that strategy on Twitter to the team’s top wideout Torrey Smith.

The third-year receiver assured fans that they have nothing to worry about.

“We have talent,” Smith responded on Twitter. “Just watch.”

The talent Smith is referring to are the young receivers who have been waiting for a chance to get on the field. Tandon Doss, David Reed, Deonte Thompson and LaQuan Williams have all been given limited opportunities to show what they can do. They will compete with Mellette and last year’s sixth-round pick Tommy Streeter for a spot in the rotation.

“We need to figure out if those guys can play,” General Manager Ozzie Newsome said. “The only way they’re going to get the opportunity to play is to get them out on the football field. And now not having Anquan, those guys will get that chance.”

The competition at receiver is mostly likely for reps behind Smith and Jacoby Jones, who was the team’s No. 3 target last season. Jones could play more of an increased role in the offense, but the Ravens also have to balance his snaps on offense with the impact he makes on special teams.

Doss appears to be the favorite in the competition, as he has the most experience after Smith and Jones. Doss split reps with Jones last season, and finished the year with seven catches for 123 yards and a touchdown.

Reed, Thompson and Williams have all played limited offensive reps and have mostly been special teamers. But the Ravens like what all three can do, as Thompson and Williams made the team as undrafted free agents and Reed just signed a new two-year contract.

“Hopefully one or two of those guys are going to emerge,” Newsome said. “It would be great if all four of them did, but if two of them did, then that would help us to be able to say, ‘OK we need to sign David going forward, or we need to sign Tandon going forward.’ But if we don’t get a chance to get them on the field and tell them, ‘The job is yours to win, we’ll never get the opportunity to be able to provide for those guys to be able to play here in the future."
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...5-85d00fb07163

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    DeCosta stated in his interview that they really liked several wide receivers in the 3rd round. Going into the draft, I expected that a few WRs with 2nd round grades could fall into the 3rd and possibly even all the way down to the Ravens' pick, so I'm not surprised by that.

Markus Wheaton, Keenan Allen, Stedman Bailey, Terrance Williams... all guys the Ravens might have been interested in. We don't know specific names but we have it straight from the horse's mouth that the Ravens did not go into the draft satisfied with the WR depth chart. That means something to me.

Obviously the FO was looking to add talent at a lot of positions and there was never a chance they could have gotten everything they wanted, so we can't take TOO much from the interest in WRs, but I'm not at all willing to crown any of the young guys on the roster. If the Ravens would have added any of the guys I mentioned above I would have favored them to win at least the #3 job if not the #2 job out of camp.

I think the Ravens are happy with their depth but they're not done at the position. I strongly expect a receiver to be added either in post-cut FA or by trade. I compare it to the CB situation in 2010--the Ravens opened the offseason with only 1 truly healthy corner in Foxworth with the #2 and #3 guys (Fabian Washington and Webb) coming back from torn ACLs, with punt returner Chris Carr at #4. They didn't draft a CB and said they were happy with who they had, even after Foxworth blew out his ACL.

They traded for Josh Wilson and he proved to be a phenomenal 1-year rental. If I were Ozzie, I'd be picking up the phone to the same guy, Pete Carroll, to see if he'd make a similar deal for Golden Tate. A 5th rounder should get that trade done.
    Not that I dislike the KJ or Simon pick, but I got the impression that the Ravens were probably going to take Quinton Patton in round 4 before the Niners picked him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Well said. I feel the same way. Flacco can and will make his Wr's better. I personally felt after that gaint game the O was on fire. Yup that one game had me ready for the playoffs. It was a vibe that Flacco needed and wow did he play his ass off. The Oline is the only thing concerning but I due time, Ozzie will give John all the pieces he can to have a great 5 in front of his Superbowl MVP QB
    I agree.

Flacco turned "the corner" in that game. Something just clicked for him, everything slowed down, and from there on out he was a different player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    And Tom Brady was pick 199. Exception to the rule IMO. Even though we do have a decent hit rate for UDFAs. Not saying it is impossible. In fact I probably like Thompson's chances most of any of the WR crew we are counting on.

His speed could be killer for us if he indeed turns into a reliable WR option.

I thought Thompson was most impressive last preseason of the second/third sting guys.

I love Jacoby for what he did this past year but I will never trust his hands. Plus he has already failed as a #2 WR in HOU. Like you said: certain packages.

Doss is the wildcard - does he have "it" or not?
    You know, I'm not sure about Doss yet. I REALLY liked him coming out of college. He was one of my favorite receivers in that draft class because of his size, hands, and ability to run routes. I think he has disappointed a bit, but I also think that there were contributing factors to that disappointment; namely risk-averse coaching and nagging injuries.

This will be his third season and normally that is when you start to see receivers figure things out. I am hopeful that he does figure it all out because I do think that he could be a 50-70 reception player for the Ravens. I think he has the talent to effective become the #2.

Then again, I could also see Deonte Thompson becoming the #2. Great speed and he was super impressive last pre-season.

Blog Entries

Not that I dislike the KJ or Simon pick, but I got the impression that the Ravens were probably going to take Quinton Patton in round 4 before the Niners picked him.
    Ozzie said there was never a scenario where the player they wanted got picked right before their pick (e.g. when SF picked Patton right before our first 4th rd. pick). Of course, Ozzie could have been lying.

If they really wanted Patton I would assume they would have traded up a few spots for him, since most people thought SF was in the market for another rookie WR, and thus Patton was kind of an obvious choice for them at that spot.
    Last edited by bt12483; 05-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Doss is going to have to show-out from Day 1 to secure a starting position. One bad game or (more likely) one injury and I think he'll get buried on the depth chart.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

They need to bring in another proven pass catcher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Doss is going to have to show-out from Day 1 to secure a starting position. One bad game or (more likely) one injury and I think he'll get buried on the depth chart.
    Buck Showalter calls that "want to"

Blog Entries

I think its different to say there were some WRs they liked in the draft and that they arent confident in who we have. They also alluded to filling holes before the draft so they could take BPA. Taking a WR BPA doesnt mean were deficient in that area currently. They like who we have, obviously if a better talent was able to be added they wouldnt deny that, but i do think theyve shown to be very confident in who we have currently. otherwise you use your picks to move up and take one of those guys aggressively.
    -JAB