Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    So the Ravens decided after the 2010 season that there were "too many" coaches telling Joe different things and they fire the QB Coach. Coincidentally, it was also Joe's best season statistically. Joe is so pissed off about it he actually raises his voice and gets a bit angry.

So then in 2011 the QB takes a step backwards in performance and the Ravens decide that he again needs a QB coach. Just 12 months after they thought he didn't.

I like the additional of Caldwell but this seems a bit dysfunctional. Makes me question the top level decision making when it comes to coaching staff.
    Can't have different voices with different agendas. There's no negative in in this except what you choose to entertain....which seems to be your M.O.

Caldwell came from the Colts air coryell so there shouldn't be any philosophical differences. The developent of Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter tells me a lot about Caldwell's coaching acheivements.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I just don't think offensive philosophy or scheme have anything to do with it. It's not about that.

Caldwell may not be a Coryell understudy, but he knows offense and he knows QB's. It's not going to be difficult for him to step in and sit down with Joe and Cam and figure out what Joe needs to work on to get better. As I said earlier, I don't think Joe needs a lot of work on his mechanics. Most of the work he needs are on pre-snap reads, taking the field in quicker, and making a decisive throw before the OL starts breaking down. Caldwell can definitely help with all of those things.
    This would be my one argument with what all youve said here. The line breaks down before he has time to make a decisive throw. Thats not always because of Joe, not always the line, and not always the scheme. Its usually a combination. Although Air Coryell will always put that extra strain on the OL to hold longer when the routes are all down field further. It takes time for them to develop and that is directly effected by the scheme we run. As long as we run Air Coryell i dont think our QB coach will have much ability to help in that aspect.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Caldwell came from the Colts air coryell so there shouldn't be any philosophical differences. The developent of Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter tells me a lot about Caldwell's coaching acheivements.
    ?
    Wow. Ok.

You have to have some talent to work with. Most teams would have Sorgi and Painter as their 3rd string QB's. They aren't starters or even remotely close.

If you're not insinuating that, then ok, but that's what it sounds like you're doing. That because Caldwell couldn't turn Sorgi or Curtis Painter into quality starting QB's then he isn't a good coach.

Norv Turner is considered to be one of the better QB developers in the league. How'd he fare with Gus Frerotte? Heath Shuler?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

The Colts don't run a Coryell.

There has to be some sarcasm here, right?

Blog Entries

So, Caldwell spent a year in Tampa Bay before following Dungy to Indianapolis?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I like how people discredit Caldwell towards Manning's success, but they want to blame Sorgi/Painter sucking all on Caldwell. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The Colts don't run a Coryell.

There has to be some sarcasm here, right?
    The Colts offense relies on timing and they don't use motion that much. No sarcasm.

Blog Entries

He did a decent job with Brad Johnson too. Johnson was a mess at the time.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

What the Colts run looks like a a three WR set heavy version of what Cam runs, with more slants. When teams defend them with two high safeties, the Colts scheme does a good job of running slants and ins, to move the ball down the field at a slower pace, proving the two deep coverage ineffective. The safeties cheat and they hit you with either a stutter and go or slant and go.

They don't run a lot of complex plays. They are more situation-efficient. Manning wants to go deep. Everything they do sets up that opportunity. Cameron and Flacco want to go deep, but they don't do enough to set it up.

Caldwell has experience with Johnson, who was asked to not screw things up for everyone else, although Johnson and the Bucs didn't win the Super Bowl until after Dungy and Caldwell left. He has experience with Manning, who was asked to dominate.

One of the reasons why Bill Polian got fired was because he didn't have a back up plan in case Peyton went down. He never entertained that thought so you can't fault Caldwell for not developing those two because that wasn't a focus of the GM either.

12. Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

Overall I like the hire. Caldwell's demeanor should fit great with Joe and I think he only develops with Jim here.