Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Next years Oline

You will be hard pressed to argue that Oline is not the greatest need of this team. Wouldn't you love to have that Oline from 08-09 back? Remember that time when we could run the ball and the clock so effectively behind a HUGE Oline, and could out physical anybody?

I think that's one of the areas we must get back to, we need to do a better job of pounding the ball, Rice wouldn't have centers getting shoved back into his face when he's trying to cut. Flacco would have time to throw, and hopefully we get a new OC who actually calls some quick times throws.

So first of all I think we invest a first round pick into a tackle. Here are some guys to think about.

Luke Joekel (Texas A&M, 6'6 310 lbs)
    Perhaps the best LT prospect in this draft. He has size, strength, the feet, and is a dancing bear. He isn't quite what last years top OT prospect was out of USC, but he's probably going to get picked in the top 10, and will be out of our range.

Jake Matthews (Texas A&M, 6'5, 305 lbs)
    Played RT at A&M, but is easily a fit playing LT in the NFL. Both him and Joekel were the driving forces of a great season for A&M in their first season of SEC football. He's a little undersized for my liking to play LT, but he is bigger than Oher and would be an upgrade, likely winning the job in camp and sending Oher back to RT.

Taylor Lewan (Michigan, 6'8, 302 lbs)
    Reminds me a lot of Nate Solder, big lanky frame, good in pass pro, and a decent run blocker. Again, I doubt Lewan is going to be on the board past the 15th pick, but you never know. Taylor Lewan is a natural fit on the blind side, and could step in right away for us.

Eric Fisher (Central Michigan, 6'7 305 lbs)
    Easily my favorite prospect out of the bunch. He reminds me a lot of Joe Staley. He comes from a small school, so that will hopefully drive his stock down a little. Very athletic, big, and strong. This is the guy I hope we pick.

Oday Aboushi (Virginia, 6'6 310 lbs)
    This would be more of a second round projection. Oday has improved his run blocking this year, which was seen as a major weakness until this season. A very decent prospect in pass pro, has excellent feet to play LT at the next level. I'm not sure if he'll be ready to start straight away however, a bit of a raw player with good upside.

With that said, hopefully we go with Eric Fisher, and here is what I hope the offensive line will be for next year if that happens.

Fisher-Reid-Yanda-KO-Oher

That line has great size and athletic ability up front. Yanda has been calling the plays this year, and has the intelligence to play center. I think we can all agree that Birk is done, and Gino is probably not going to be ready to start next year. I think Yanda could be an all pro center straight away, he's that good. KO has star potential at guard, and Reid has shown that he can hold the position down, and has potential to be a decent player there.

Maybe then we will be able to ground and pound more effectively, as well as helping our passing game too.

Re: Next years Oline

Fisher is becoming a favorite of mine as well, definitely a guy i think you will eventually be able to leave on a island. My fear with him as that thru the process he moves up out of our draft range.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Fisher is becoming a favorite of mine as well, definitely a guy i think you will eventually be able to leave on a island. My fear with him as that thru the process he moves up out of our draft range.
    Yeah certainly possible given his talent and upside. Remember that draft where we missed out on Joe Staley, the FO looked PISSED.

Blog Entries

I don't think that you move your best offensive linemen to another position. That just seems dumb to me. I would think that they would go with Gradkowski at center next year. Also, I think KO will stay at RT. The biggest issue imo will be figuring out LT. I don't think Oher is the answer there.

Blog Entries

Honestly I don't see them moving Oher out of LT. Yanda at C sounds interesting and a maybe, but I'm guessing it will look similar to this year only with Gino instead of Birk. Dump the drunk coach and get a better coach in there and maybe it will be good enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't think that you move your best offensive linemen to another position. That just seems dumb to me. I would think that they would go with Gradkowski at center next year. Also, I think KO will stay at RT. The biggest issue imo will be figuring out LT. I don't think Oher is the answer there.
    That's also possible, it all depends on Gino IMO.

LT is certainly a major need though. The thing is, what do you do with Oher if you keep KO at RT and draft a LT?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Honestly I don't see them moving Oher out of LT. Yanda at C sounds interesting and a maybe, but I'm guessing it will look similar to this year only with Gino instead of Birk. Dump the drunk coach and get a better coach in there and maybe it will be good enough.
    I disagree, I think the FO are done with Oher at LT. I heared reports that Oher is in extension talks for RT money, and Ozzie wants him to be the future RT not LT.

That may mean they see KO as a possible LT next year, they gave him snaps not too long ago at training at LT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I disagree, I think the FO are done with Oher at LT. I heared reports that Oher is in extension talks for RT money, and Ozzie wants him to be the future RT not LT.

That may mean they see KO as a possible LT next year, they gave him snaps not too long ago at training at LT.
    I could see KO getting a chance at LT if they end up keeping Oher as putting him at RT.

Blog Entries

Honestly, we don't have LT prospect on the roster. Oher's future is at RT. Which means KO is destined to be the LG. Or the other way around. We need an LT and a C.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Honestly, we don't have LT prospect on the roster. Oher's future is at RT. Which means KO is destined to be the LG. Or the other way around. We need an LT and a C.
    Says who? You? Other posters on this board?

We keep saying this, but not one thing the coaches have done or said has indicated that this is even remotely a possibility.

Oher may never be more than an average LT, but that's ok. I've stated this several times before: We don't NEED elite LT play to win games. We NEED a coordinator who understands the limitations of his players and puts them in position to succeed. Oher didn't look too bad when they were running the sugar huddle, did he? Secondly, it is entirely possible that they may give KO a crack at LT next year. He's got experience there, is very athletic, and unlike Oher, he has the length/size to accompany that athleticism.

Furthermore, if they were planning on KO being a guard, WHY wouldn't they have already done that? It's not like Bobbie Williams, Jah Reid, or Ramon Harewood were standout LG's for the Ravens this year. In fact, the LG position has been pretty bad.

I think that the only way the Ravens go OL in round 1 of next year's draft is if it is a guy they feel can be a guard. Look at guys like Chance Warmack, Jon Cooper, or Barrett Jones.

And by the way, I'm not defending Oher or his play. He's about as average as they come on his best days. What I'm saying is that in the right offensive scheme, you don't need to ask your OT's to block defensive ends for 4,5, or 6 seconds. Another point, which I've asked many posters before and no one really acknowledges, is why people seem to think that if someone fails at LT then they would probably be better off at RT? What about the RT position - in today's NFL - is different than the LT position? Other than the LT position is protecting right-handed QB's blind sides, but QB's are just as vulnerable on the front side as well. In fact, most defenses have more than 1 pass rusher and most defenses move their best pass rusher around. In that line of thinking, the RT needs to be just as capable as a pass blocker and run blocker as the LT. It's not an either/or situation anymore. 20 years ago, it was. This is why we've seen more and more teams drafting guys in round 1 who are projecting as RT's and not LT's. /rant
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Do you have a link for that?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

All I want for Christmas is Barrett Jones.

Naked. With a bow.