Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do players (i.e. their salary) placed on IR count against a teams salary cap?

Will Sugg's salary be freed up within the salary cap - so that they could go out and get someone like Osi

Blog Entries

Re: Do players (i.e. their salary) placed on IR count against a teams salary cap?

IR counts as salary, because they still get paid. No change in the cap.

Re: Do players (i.e. their salary) placed on IR count against a teams salary cap?

Don't know, but if it doesn't count against the cap I would rather see them use it to re-sign Flacco and perhaps front load some of the $$. I believe you can also roll over excess cap under the new CBA. That would also be a good move.

Osi is not as multidimensional as Suggs and we have a bunch of young guys to step into that role.

No matter what they do they won't replace Suggs. I'd rather see them accept that and do something to benefit the team's future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Will Sugg's salary be freed up within the salary cap - so that they could go out and get someone like Osi
    I think they still counts against the cap. The Ravens would have to cut Suggs to get any cap relief, which they would not do. Also, the remainder of Suggs's signing bonus would be accelerated as a cap hit for this year, so it is unlikely that the cap savings would be that great anyway. The way to free up cap space for this year is for Ray Rice to sign a long term deal. I would give up a 3rd round pick in next year's draft for Osi in a heartbeat.

Lets not go nuts. We don't know the extent of the injury. Some achilles injuries only last 3-4 months, where some could last a year. Lets wait and see before we start worrying about this shit

Yes it counts.

I too would give up a 3rd rd pick for Osi - do it this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I think they still counts against the cap. The Ravens would have to cut Suggs to get any cap relief, which they would not do. Also, the remainder of Suggs's signing bonus would be accelerated as a cap hit for this year, so it is unlikely that the cap savings would be that great anyway. The way to free up cap space for this year is for Ray Rice to sign a long term deal. I would give up a 3rd round pick in next year's draft for Osi in a heartbeat.

Blog Entries

The reason it counts is to prevent a team from dumping cap space into 1 year of a contract and then putting the player on IR to free up a ton of space. IR frees up a roster spot but not any cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The reason it counts is to prevent a team from dumping cap space into 1 year of a contract and then putting the player on IR to free up a ton of space. IR frees up a roster spot but not any cap space.
    Exactly.

The only way it does not count against the cap is if it is specifically written into the contract (called a split contract). In that case, a player wouldn't get paid (or only paid a part of his salary) if he was on IR. I am certain that a player of Suggs' caliber wouldn't have that kind of clause in his contract. That is seldom used and only for low round picks and borderline players.

Well it stinks that he'll still count against the cap, but it is what it is. As I said before, I'd rather them not use cap space on Osi. Let your young guts step in. Re-sign Flacco if you can (sound like that may close to cap-neutral for this season anyway), and roll over any extra cap space.

If they can find an inexpensive vet, which is what I think Ozzie will do, I think that could be a smart move.

1. GOTA and others are correct, it counts. Once the season starts, all players (53, PS, IR, PUP) count against the Cap.

2. Cutting Suggs (not that it's going to happen) would actually cost them money, given the size of his signing bonus and option bonus.

3. Even if they were inclined to try and recoup money (which they won't be) from him because he violated his contract, that money would not be credited to this year's cap. For whatever reason, under the terms of the CBA, it would be credited against next year's Cap (I guess it's that way to let the appeals process play out). .
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Exactly.

The only way it does not count against the cap is if it is specifically written into the contract (called a split contract). In that case, a player wouldn't get paid (or only paid a part of his salary) if he was on IR. I am certain that a player of Suggs' caliber wouldn't have that kind of clause in his contract. That is seldom used and only for low round picks and borderline players.
    Or if your playing Madden.