Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks to Roger Goodell and his slappies, there will never be another Ray Lewis.

Now that Baltimore Ravens certain first ballot Hall of Famer Ray Lewis has announced that he’ll be retiring at the end of the season, many are pondering the post-Lewis Ravens.

What will they look like?

Will they lose their identity?

How will the Ravens replace Ray Lewis?

The simple and probably most accurate answer to the last question is, “You don’t!”

Ray Lewis is a one in a billion player. The Ravens will have to look to other areas of their locker room for leadership. Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs come to mind. But on whole, that’s a locker room void that will not be filled any time soon.

Some on a national scale have posed the question, “Who will be the next Ray Lewis?”
    My answer to that is, “No one! The NFL won’t allow it.”

Clearly Ray is an uncommon leader. Casual observers from outside of Baltimore may view his words, his faith and his passion and disingenuous and as Ray simply playing to the cameras. Closer to home, here in Baltimore, we know otherwise.

And you can’t blame the doubters really. Ray is so unique that those not as connected almost can’t help but to raise an eyebrow of suspicion and question the sincerity. But his heart is so big. Ray believes so much in his purpose, his mission on Earth guided by devout faith.

That’s one side of Ray that will be next to impossible to replicate even from the youth who idolize him and hope to emulate him.

And then there’s the NFL. The league will indirectly stonewall any player’s ambition to be the next Ray Lewis. Seriously!

Why is it that so many around the league look up to Ray?

Why is he respected as much as anyone in the NFL?

There are many reasons for the R-E-S-P-E-C-T. But the one thing that put Ray on the map; the thing that inspired his peers to pause and take notice is his physicality on the field. All of those bone-jarring hits brought attention and once the attention was his, Ray showed the world his leadership, his dedication, his passion, his intelligence and his faith.

And then the respect meter just blew up.

Take a look at the videos below. Take a look at those hits. How many would be flagged in today’s pansy NFL? How many would have drawn fines? How many would trigger suspensions?

LINK TO BALANCE OF ARTICLE AND VIDEOS HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: Thanks to Roger Goodell and his slappies, there will never be another Ray Lewis.

There will never be another Ray. He is unique and will hold his own special place in NFL lore. This has to be bittersweet for Ravens fans.

Blog Entries

Re: Thanks to Roger Goodell and his slappies, there will never be another Ray Lewis.

Goodell would much rather have the next Peyton Manning than Ray Lewis. Quaterbacks bring in the casual fan.

Pansy NFL? You better not let ASB see that.

There will never be another Ray Lewis as long as the NFL is on this trajectory for sure.

I saw it H. And while I agree that there will never, EVER, be another Ray Lewis, I disagree with Tony's reasoning for why.

I think Ray exemplifies what Goodell is looking for in a defensive player. Larger than life, marketable, and most of all A CLEAN HITTER.

Ray, and his rarely if ever lightened by fines wallet, is the living proof that the rules can't and don't want to remove the hitting from football.

Ray has made an impossibly large footprint in NFL history and he did it without having to hit people in the head or blow out knees like a certain linebacker in Pitt threatened to do.

Ray is a once in a lifetime player, we'll never see the likes of him again. But not because rules prevent players from killing each other's brain cells.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

That's weak......

If you want to write about Ray's retirement, then do so. If you want to write about the NFL rules, then do so. But trying to tie the two together is weak.

Very true, Spam.

Quote Originally Posted by micadrz400 View Post
    That's weak......

If you want to write about Ray's retirement, then do so. If you want to write about the NFL rules, then do so. But trying to tie the two together is weak.
    Tying the two together makes perfect sense to me. The only thing weak is your post unless of course you can elaborate your position...I'll wait and see but I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, since you asked, here are a couple about Ray's retirement.

Ray's Swan Song

Saying Goodbye to 52

Since you're taking responses Tony, what's your take on mine? (Not being a smart ass, genuinely interested.)
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Since you're taking responses Tony, what's your take on mine? (Not being a smart ass, genuinely interested.)
    Can't disagree but Goodell has proven to be very disingenuous. I also think that while the hits are clean, today many would be flagged and after you add up the fines and suspensions it will deter players. They'll have to change their style to something that isn't as eye-catching and as such, it won't draw the attention and the elevate the star status of a player.

Hence my opinion that there will never be another Ray Lewis...in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Can't disagree but Goodell has proven to be very disingenuous. .
    Agree to disagree on Goodell, Tony. His cleaning up the game from the cheap-shot artists has been good for the game. On occsion (Reed) he gets it wrong, but overall he's done a good job.
    Last edited by Mista T; 01-06-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Agree to disagree on Goodell, Tony. His cleaning up the game from the cheap-shot artists has been good for the game. On occsion (Reed) he gets it wrong, but overall he's done a good job.
    Not feeling that AT ALL. But in the end, I hope I'm wrong.