Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Ozzie says, if the season started today, KO WOULD BE THE LEFT TACKLE!

Bcraven has been calling KO to LT since he was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    You're way off here! In 2010 and 2012 Oz traded down into the 2nd round and picked up additional picks. I do not believe in any way, shape, or form, that he would trade away our 2014 pick. No way, no how... Bc
    We have 12 picks, the most in the league. How many of those will make our roster? We have at the most 6 roster spots they can compete for as discussed in a previous thread. Armstead has been mentioned and in no way is he a day 1 starter. Without a move to get a quality LT we are left with the usual suspects; Oher, KO or resign McKinney. Any of those choices carry strong doubts.

I've yet to see anyone accurately predict Ozzie's moves unless I've missed someone making that claim. The safe chance at success is to dismiss anyone else's prediction because most of the speculation that takes place on this board never pans out. Ozzie doesn't show his hand or shows a pattern other than he tries to get the best value he can. I'm not saying he'll definitely trade up, but if he gets an opportunity to get the value he wants I'm sure he would. It's a game of chance and someone has to negotiate with him.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Well, we were close to signing Ellerbe til Miami stepped in -lol.

Hey - we got Elvis with Ellerbe's money. Thank U Miami, the same team that
    hired CAM as head coach and drafted Henne instead of Flacco. ILMAO

I was wondering about the validity of this tweeter or twitter or whatever.

It was posted on Sunspot and those guys thought it was generally legit.
    That's not what Ellerbe or his agent said...they said out of 3 or 4 teams, our offer was significantly lower than any of the others.

As far as KO at LT, I'm sure it's a possibility, but they don't call it the liars luncheon for nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    We have 12 picks, the most in the league. How many of those will make our roster? We have at the most 6 roster spots they can compete for as discussed in a previous thread. Armstead has been mentioned and in no way is he a day 1 starter. Without a move to get a quality LT we are left with the usual suspects; Oher, KO or resign McKinney. Any of those choices carry strong doubts.

I've yet to see anyone accurately predict Ozzie's moves unless I've missed someone making that claim. The safe chance at success is to dismiss anyone else's prediction because most of the speculation that takes place on this board never pans out. Ozzie doesn't show his hand or shows a pattern other than he tries to get the best value he can. I'm not saying he'll definitely trade up, but if he gets an opportunity to get the value he wants I'm sure he would. It's a game of chance and someone has to negotiate with him.
    Assuming everyone from last year that is still around makes the team. There is a lot of time between draft day and Week 1 of the regular season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I hear a lot from you guys about a study on arm length and other physical characteristics for LTs. Does KO fit the physical spectrum. I remember everything thought he was a just a "phone booth guard"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post

I doubt that we'll draft 12 players this year, but the value in having so many is you can selectively move up and down, or acquire future picks. So yes, he could package some to trade up, BUT......your contention was that he might trade away next year's #1. And Ozzie's general opposition to doing this are well-known:

"That can set your franchise back for quite some time regardless of the player you're getting," Newsome said. "The problem with trading away No. 1 picks is you get a chance to have the (new draft pick) play for you and probably play at a high level at the lowest contract that he's going to have. And to maintain cap sanity and cash sanity you need your draft picks. And when you trade them away for one marquee player, not only do you trade away the draft picks, you've got to pay a huge sum to bring that player in, which is going to limit your ability to go get other players. So it's a double-edged sword."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UW3f3L3D_IU

Now, that comment was in relation to trading future #1s for current players. But I also seem to remember (though I can't find a quote) him making a more general statement that he'd never repeat the mistake of trading away a future #1 pick after the Boller fiasco.

So no one here can say with certainty, but it would be an extreme deviation from Ozzie's stated approach to see him trade away the 2014 #1 - especially since (as you pointed out) we have so much ammo with which to maneuver this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    So no one here can say with certainty, but it would be an extreme deviation from Ozzie's stated approach to see him trade away the 2014 #1 - especially since (as you pointed out) we have so much ammo with which to maneuver this year.
    You make many good points and I agree it would be out of character for Ozzie to make such a move. He's certainly willing to trade back, so I was thinking he sacrifices the 1st for a later pick and combined with this year's picks. I know it's a reach.

The last few seasons I felt left tackle was the biggest weakness on the team and hoped to address it. I still see it as the biggest hole especially after shoring up the defense. What the FO sees is anyone's guess. We were a 10-6 team last year and squeaked by San Diego, KC and NE during the regular season. Joe didn't have a clean pocket during much of the regular season and I believe the improved line play in the playoff run had as much to do with our success as anything. I want Joe to have a clean pocket this year to duplicate that success and getting a solid LT play is the key to that from my perspective. Does the FO see LT as the achilles heel of the team? I don't know, but as you can tell I do. If they have one more big play left I'm all for getting a solid LT over a shaky Oher, a doubtful KO or lazy McKinney.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Assuming everyone from last year that is still around makes the team. There is a lot of time between draft day and Week 1 of the regular season.
    That's true. I'm sure they'll be some casualties but I also expect we'll keep at least one UFA since I can't remember that not happening before.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This is actually good news. I posted a controversial thread a while ago that posed the theory that since 2010, the FO seemed to view Michael Oher as their LT of the future despite his lack of real success at the position. Looks like I was wrong, and the brass has come around to the reality that we all knew: he's not, and likely never will be, anything above mediocre at best at LT. Count me happy to be wrong.

I had also thought about KO at LT based on the Baldinger interview w/WNST, and that was an intriguing possibility to me. I certainly like that idea better than Oher just because KO has a very high ceiling, whether at tackle or guard, and all the physical tools to be a good LT (long arms, decent feet, sound technique, good athleticism).

Kick Oher over to RT and find a new LG... Barrett Jones in the 3rd, please??
    I don't think you were wrong. They've been trying to fit this square peg into a round hole for 4 years now. The Raven's braintrust is in love with Oher for some reason. Despite what Ozzie says, its Oher who will be the starting left tackle next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That's not what Ellerbe or his agent said...they said out of 3 or 4 teams, our offer was significantly lower than any of the others.

As far as KO at LT, I'm sure it's a possibility, but they don't call it the liars luncheon for nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yea, in the end it was significantly lower but Ravens never dreamed he'd get
    that much stupid money and thought they could sign him in the beginning. Didn't
    Ravens offer something like $20M???

Bet Miami wishes they had thrown that money at Dumervil who wasn't available then.

Wait til they see he only plays on certain downs after throwing all that money
    at him. Same with Kruger.

As far as KO, he got beat at RT same as Oher. His feet weren't fast enough. He
    excelled at his natural LG position next to Mc Kinnie and they wiped out their
    side of the line.

I dunno, maybe Castillo sees something in him and can correct the foot work but
    either you have the speed or you don't. Neither Oher or KO have the speed on
    the ends.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I don't think you were wrong. They've been trying to fit this square peg into a round hole for 4 years now. The Raven's braintrust is in love with Oher for some reason. Despite what Ozzie says, its Oher who will be the starting left tackle next year.
    Highly doubtful.

Blog Entries

Here's a cool article on Ellerbe and how bad Ravens wanted to keep him and it was written before Oz signed Elvis and Huff.

It also makes point that Ellerbe was coached up after signing a $2,000 bonus as un-drafted
    free agent so let's see how well he does in new system.

Title: Don't Cry For Broken Up Ravens. LOL

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...gency/1983557/