Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Last years draft just keeps on getting worse for the Steelers.

Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis are both gone now. Two of the best players they have drafted aren't even with the team anymore.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis are both gone now. Two of the best players they have drafted aren't even with the team anymore.
    If LaMarr Woodley can get his ass in shape, then that could go a long way with helping their defense out.

They've definitely drafted some mediocre guys though...Ziggy Hood, Cameron Heyward, Jason Worilds, Ryan Mundy, Mike Adams...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If LaMarr Woodley can get his ass in shape, then that could go a long way with helping their defense out.

They've definitely drafted some mediocre guys though...Ziggy Hood, Cameron Heyward, Jason Worilds, Ryan Mundy, Mike Adams...
    What's interesting is many of those guys we talked about here and really didn't want the Ravens to draft. Hood, Heyward and Adams were all guys the majority of the Ravens fans were hoping didn't end up Ravens. Since the Ravens and Steelers are similar organizations they tend to be linked to the same guys in the draft. Outside of DeCastro there hasn't been a Steelers draft pick in recent years that I had hoped we'd end up with and so far DeCastro was more hype than substance.

Just to provide a smidgen of balance: Decastro has not had the chance to show much, because of injury. The much-maligned Adams has shown he could be a decent (just decent) RT, and their Oline might finally be solid. This year they might have had a decent draft. I come to bury the Steelers, not praise them, but somehow they are always tough.

Blog Entries

Charlie Batch beat us last year and Dixon made it close.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Yeah, and we swept them the previous year with Roethlisberger, so what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    The 1996 Ravens beat the Steelers.

It is a rivalry...these games are always close no matter the record.

The topic is debating how competitive the Steelers will be in general. For instance, not winning the division the last 2 years, and missing the playoffs last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Which was worse, the Steelers 2012 draft or the Ravens 2010 draft?
    Easily the Ravens draft.
    Pitta
    Dickson
    Arthur Jones- very solid coming into his own and emerging.
    Cody- suspect wave guy- could emerge...not dead yet, but hope fading.
    Reed- good gunner still has a chance
    Harewood- backup G for late round pick

Decastro? Unsure injuries.
    Adams? Unsure injuries, and wasnt good anyway.
    Spence- likely career over
    Rainey-gone
    Ta'amu- ? hasnt played, legal troubles.
    Beachum- did well in limited action (best of the lot so far)

Cool Re: Last years draft just keeps on getting worse for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    In San Fran, just passed a sleeping homeless guy laying on the sidewalk in Steeler gear. I wanted to take a pic but I just couldn't do it... Wish him better days and a better team
    Ravenswintitle,

Didn't you know, that homeless guy was actually Kevin Colbert, the Steeler's GM in disguise!

The Steelers seem to be losing pieces and, in recent years, do not seem to be having sufficient draft success to compensate. They may be on the decline, but I wouldn't count them out just yet. Theirs is an organization that has proven resilient. As for this coming season, they may be helped by an easier (3rd place) schedule. Their AFC South & West opponents will be Tennessee and Oakland, while the Ravens opponents from those divisions will be Houston and Denver.

In any case, I expect Ravens-Steelers matchups to continue to be close, physical, and hard-fought.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    AFC South & West opponents will be Tennessee and Oakland,
    Who both beat the Steelers last year.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I agree that it is too early to say for sure about Pittsburgh's 2012 draft. The early returns are certainly not good, though.

The Ravens however got their starting TE, their back-up TE, a serviceable tackle in their defensive line rotation, and, if he doesn't pan out as a kick returner, a serviceable special teams player in Reed.

The 2010 Ravens draft will always be tainted by Kindle and Cody - if he doesn't have a dramatic turnaround this off-season. Certainly a "bad" draft measured by the bar that Newsome has set for himself. But I don't think it is comparable to the disaster that is shaping up with Pittsburgh 2012 draft.
    I'll just say one more thing - no one ever mentions that Cody was actually fairly solid in 2011. Not a world beater, but certainly not bad either. Worthy of being a starter, at least.