Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QB Evaluation

Re: QB Evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    He might be.

As well, I would wager that the FO believes that it is more likely that Smith is unable to be a backup, then able to be a starter. I think the most likely scenario is that he is a hopefully long term backup here.

I mean to say that likely we'll head into next year with Flacco and Smith and a Vet... I think it is VERY HIGHLY unlikely that Smith enters the '09 camp as the favorite for the starters job. I would be less surprised to see us enter camp with Flacco and Boller, with Smith cut.
    I agree with this 100%. Kyle signing the deal he did last year shows me he likes playing in Baltimore, and he is willing to accept that he is a backup in the NFL. I see no way, baring a catastrophe, Smith enters camp as the starter in 2009.

Wink Re: QB Evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoeJangles View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Kyle signing the deal he did last year shows me he likes playing in Baltimore, and he is willing to accept that he is a backup in the NFL. I see no way, baring a catastrophe, Smith enters camp as the starter in 2009.
    Like Balttimore or not, Kyle is under contract. As our best player at the position, Boller will start on opening day. If he falters, Flacco would be thrown in. I don't see a role for Smith ..... if there is a need for another special teamer (esp. kicker), or OL, or OT, Smith would be cut. He is superfluos - too short to ever start in the NFL.

You read it here 1st!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mista T; 04-29-2008 at 01:11 AM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I think Boller plans onleavign for a starters job, thus Smith shoud stick around and see if he canlock down that job though we could get a retread for that role next year and i wouldn't be upset.

No one knows for sure how all of this plays out until the preseason is over. I say we will keep all (3) QB's this year, just for insurance. At some point, Joe Flacco will be the starter. They are not paying him to be a backup or a protege for long. Depending on how the season plays out will determine his starting date. If he has an unbelievable pre-season, I do see him starting. The coach will decide who gives us the best chance to win.

The QB position has been that PATHETIC, for the last DECADE that the few games that Boller really excelled are enough for some devout fans to cling to 5 years in the making... move on bro, it's over...
    First off, I'm not your "bro".

Secondly, I was talking to someone who was claiming the offensive line had no bearing on Boller playing like crap. The line played surprisingly well that year (2006) and McNair put up the highest QB rating a Ravens QB has had under Billick. Boller played much better that year than he has before or since.

2007 rolls around, the line sucks again and both QBs play terribly. Gee, maybe I'm talking about the line's problems in pass blocking being a problem for all of our QBs. I don't claim they're the cause of all Boller's problems, but they certainly contributed.

Now before you tell me to, "move on", again, perhaps you would like to actually consider the entire argument instead of focusing in on Boller all the time. Maybe you should go ahead and get over it?
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Boller has never been good. Not in college and not as a pro. He's just another fluke QB to come to the NFL through Jeff Tedford's School of Bondo Quarterbacking.

Just add him to the list of letdowns from the same program.

Here's some evidence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9n4DlmibDQ

Make sure to read the comments to see what the general football fant thinks of Boller.

Troy Smith was a playmaker in college and he even won an award. His only knock is his height.

Flacco, in college, was pretty much always the best player on the field. His knock is that he didn't play against top competition. The common argument is that some very good QBs didn't play against top competition in college. A lot of people, including myself, say he reminds them of Derek Anderson. Hopefully he can show that at the pro level.

Wink Re: QB Evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by evade6317 View Post
    Troy Smith was a playmaker in college and he even won an award. His only knock is his height.

Regretfully, while good coaching can perhaps help Boller overcome his freneticism and can help Flacco learn to play the game by leaning on the Center's asshole instead of waiting for the ball to be hiked to him from the shotgun, coaching cannot help Troy Smith overcome his height disability.

That "only knock" is a big one that cannot be overcome. Sorry ....
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Regretfully, while good coaching can perhaps help Boller overcome his freneticism and can help Flacco learn to play the game by leaning on the Center's asshole instead of waiting for the ball to be hiked to him from the shotgun, coaching cannot help Troy Smith overcome his height disability.

Lack of height didn't keep Jeff Garcia, Drew Brees, Michael Vick and Doug Flutie from playing well. Or did they play with short linemen? I'd take there production over Hightower Boller's any day.

QBs can either play, or they can't. If measurables were proportional to a QBs ability on the field, Boller would have been a time Pro Bowler by now.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    No one knows for sure how all of this plays out until the preseason is over. I say we will keep all (3) QB's this year, just for insurance. At some point, Joe Flacco will be the starter. They are not paying him to be a backup or a protege for long. Depending on how the season plays out will determine his starting date. If he has an unbelievable pre-season, I do see him starting. The coach will decide who gives us the best chance to win.
    Well, I don't see him starting, but I pretty much agree with Ravenwoman.

I would not be at all surprised for the depth chart to look like Boller/Flacco/Smith, because the #1 backup would be getting more reps with the #1 offense.

In years past we have sometimes carried two quarterbacks on the roster, but I suspect this year we go to three, as Ravenwoman says.

Check in again half way through the season, and we can talk again about who should be starting. But if the team is doing well, or the QB is doing well, obviously a change is unlikely.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

The average height of his O-Line at Ohio State was around 6'6". Wasn't a problem for him in college?

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    The average height of his O-Line at Ohio State was around 6'6". Wasn't a problem for him in college?

What does that have to do with the price of Tea in China?.

There are many other reasons that miniature people don't play NFL QB then to "see over their OL." What you cannot refute however, is that his perspective of the field is altered(for the worse) as compared to a taller QB. The field that is visible to him is CERTAINLY and factually SMALLER.

Blog Entries

What does that have to do with the price of Tea in China?.

There are many other reasons that miniature people don't play NFL QB then to "see over their OL." What you cannot refute however, is that his perspective of the field is altered(for the worse) as compared to a taller QB. The field that is visible to him is CERTAINLY and factually SMALLER.
    We'll certainly see won't we?

I, for one, don't think it is a problem if he is utilized properly. I'm rooting for him because Boller sucks and I don't want to see Flacco during the regular season.

No matter what any of us say here I do know one thing: We will have a dramatically different offense this year vs. the Billick years. I think if Boller ends up being the starter, he will look different than his previous years' of ineptitude.

I also think McGahee and Rice are gonna do the real damage on offense. anyway