Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Cary Williams, the worst corner back to ever lead the AFC in picks??

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    I was just talking about that with a friend of mine earlier.. You have 2 6'1+ corners, and they never press.. how is that possible. We should be manhandling Receivers, they just aren't doing any press coverage. I look at Seattle, with their twin towers at corner. They are probably the two best in the league, all they do up there is press. That secondary is a nightmare. I really wish we would do some of that.
    When both are doing the same thing it's a coaching issue. They aren't pressing because Pees doesn't want them to. Why? I have no idea and completely agree with you. The Seahawks should be the model for these guys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When both are doing the same thing it's a coaching issue. They aren't pressing because Pees doesn't want them to. Why? I have no idea and completely agree with you. The Seahawks should be the model for these guys.
    It really is so frustrating..... :grbac:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It really is so frustrating..... :grbac:
    Im with you guys. Its kind of asinine to draft big corners and make the movement towards them because wrs are getting so big, but then not allow them to use their size to their advantage. Smith was a Press corner in college. the whole reason he was so good at coverage was because he was so good at pressing. Now they dont allow him to, which is obviously out of his comfort zone. Makes zero sense and all hes doing is getting beat and losing confidence at a position where both are critical.
    -JAB

I really think that if people watched other teams as close as they watch the Ravens, jsut as often, that they wouldn't think Cary and Jimmy are as bad as they do now. Particularly with CB's, I think it's easy to blast your own guys. CB's get beat, no matter how good they are. If you watch enough a vast ammount more of a certain player then another, at this position, you will likely downgrade the one you watch more simply because of how often you see said player look silly. IF you watched every snap of every team you'd see how often they ALL get beat.

Oh, and picks aren't that great of a sign as to how good a corner is. Really good corners don't have many chances to pick the ball as most passes go towards the other DB's on their team. Players that amass a lot of picks generally do so by baiting QB's. CB's that consistantly bait QB's are consistantly out of position and very prone to get beat.

Blog Entries

Pees is more of a keep everything in front of him type of coordinator in general, if I am not mistaken. I also think that Pees lacks confidence in the pass rush. That might help to explain why they are not pressing the CBs. However, at season's end, they had better get someone in here who believes in pressing and blitzing, because that is what this defense does. There have been two coordinators who weren't down with that. Mattison was one. Pees is another.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Isn't this the same Jimmy Smith we routinely see getting beat by double-moves? There's your answer.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...lardarius-webb

They have him in primarily in off coverage so he can keep the play in front of him. Put him in press, and when he bites on the 1st move, he's flat-footed with the receiver behind him, and nothing but a safety (or empty space) between the WR and the goal line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Pees is more of a keep everything in front of him type of coordinator in general, if I am not mistaken. I also think that Pees lacks confidence in the pass rush. That might help to explain why they are not pressing the CBs. However, at season's end, they had better get someone in here who believes in pressing and blitzing, because that is what this defense does. There have been two coordinators who weren't down with that. Mattison was one. Pees is another.
    Pees is playing to the strength (or in this case, weakness) of his defensive personnel, as did Mattison. When Jimmy shows he can play with more discipline, then they can let him play more aggressively.

In the meantime, thinking that just constantly "being more aggressive" (blitzing, bump coverage, etc) is all you need to have a great defense is just foolhardy. If you don't have the personnel to routinely get their hands on the QB, or DBs who can read and recover, you're just basically handing the opposition a half-dozen plays (or more) per game when they're going to have receivers running deep and open, which is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by MarkS; 11-06-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I was thinking along those lines too. Not an Xs and Os guy, but it seems like pressing works best when the pass rush is strong becuase it throws the route timing off. If the QB has all day, the timing is less important because the recievers are finding a way to get open.

I wonder if they use any press coverage when practicing with the offense. If not, maybe that could explain why our receivers seemingly can't get off press coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    In the meantime, thinking that just constantly "being more aggressive" (blitzing, bump coverage, etc) is all you need to have a great defense is just foolhardy. If you don't have the personnel to routinely get their hands on the QB, or DBs who can read and recover, you're just basically handing the opposition a half-dozen plays (or more) per game when they're going to have receivers running deep and open, which is a recipe for disaster.
    Exactly. If there was no risk to blitzing 6 with press man coverage and a single high safety every team would do it every play. It's a gamble and you need the personnel to minimize the risk of playing that aggressive. It can't always be the right answer, because w/ the NFL there is never a single answer.