Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CAMP NOTES August 4: Who's Hot, Who's Not

The crowd seemed a little lighter than last year’s turnout of 20,300, yet the enthusiasm seemed greater as fans of the defending World Champion Baltimore Ravens welcomed their favorite team to Jack Stephens Field at the Naval Academy.

Big ovations were extended to head coach John Harbaugh and Super Bowl XLVII MVP Joe Flacco as they entered the field, narrated by the WBAL broadcast team of Keith Mills, Stan White and Qadry Ismail.

One of the more noticeable differences during camp is the fast pace of the offense. They are in and out of the huddle more quickly and with greater purpose. During two-minute offensive drills the rapid-fire pacing amounts to gassers for the receivers. The approach is a bit reminiscent of former Carolina Tar heels head basketball coach Dean Smith creating so much pressure during practice that the games seem like a coffee break, relatively speaking.

Along those lines, this camp we’ve seen the introduction of “The Blitz”. Dean Pees and his defense will bring blitzers from all directions, the intent of which is to force Joe Flacco and his entire offensive unit to make quick decisions. This is an indication that new offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell may be more receptive to working with Pees as part of an effort to improve the team. It may also indicate that there’s more round table discussion in coaching staff meetings where self-scouting leads to growth and better results.

A few of the standout plays during “The Blitz”:

• The Ravens defense tipped their hand a bit too early and Flacco checked to a different play. The result was a slant from right to left with Deonte Thompson on the receiving end of the perfectly delivered bullet. Thompson found ample real estate to navigate and exhibited his top end speed on his way to a touchdown.
    • Flacco and Torrey Smith are on the same page. Confronted by a free nickel back blitz from the right slot (defensive left), Flacco had Smith with one-on-one down the right sideline covered by Chykie Brown (who is playing very well). Despite the tight coverage, the pitch and catch tandem connected on a back shoulder throw, proof that when executed properly that throw is nearly indefensible.
    • Once again the defense tipped their hand too early and Flacco audibled to a bubble screen to the right with Jacoby Jones the target. The blocking from Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss was spot on paving the way to a very successful result.

More Notes and article link HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: CAMP NOTES August 4: Who's Hot, Who's Not

Thanks Tony

Time to start the WR bandwagon's engine. Seems like every year we have one (Eron, Justin Matt, Clarence, Patrick....)
    Mar-Lon Mar-lon Mar-lon, I hear the revving starting :)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Nice to hear Flacco is becoming seemingly expert at reading the defense and checking to the right play for the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Thanks Tony

Time to start the WR bandwagon's engine. Seems like every year we have one (Eron, Justin Matt, Clarence, Patrick....)
    lol...yup. We do (me included) bang that drum year-after-year, but unlike the others, Marlon seems to be actually performing. He'll get plenty of PS rope too, I'm thinking, due to his prior injury + Streeter's lack of progress.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

What I like from the article...

"Chris Canty batted a ball delivered by Flacco on third down. Get used to that from the 6’7” D-Lineman….Lardarius Webb intercepted Joe Flacco during 7 on 7’s."

Glad to see Webb back out there.

Blog Entries

I saw that Blitz practice yesterday, didn't realize it was new though. I like it, it's an area we struggled with in the past, VERY good thing to practice against. Very tough to go against, but we did see some great checkdowns and reading from Flacco.

Mellette impressed me a lot yesterday. I think Streeter is going the way of Justin Harper, but Mellette I can see making the team if he can provide a bit of ST play. Right now, my WR cut list goes: Torrey, Jacoby, Doss, Deonte, Reed, Mellette, LQW, Marlon, Carter/Sheppard/Rivers, Streeter. And honestly, I might be inclined to drop Reed below LQW or Marlon right now.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Not a bad roundup from NFL.com either:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...s-in-Baltimore

Blog Entries

Any word on Jameel? I'd really like to have him back for the opener- or at all, honestly.

I think Doss may be a little lower than that if he keeps dropping balls. I think LaQuan is an outside shot to make the team at all this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Any word on Jameel? I'd really like to have him back for the opener- or at all, honestly.
    Wrote this piece over the weekend: LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    What I like from the article...

"Chris Canty batted a ball delivered by Flacco on third down. Get used to that from the 6’7” D-Lineman….Lardarius Webb intercepted Joe Flacco during 7 on 7’s."

Glad to see Webb back out there.
    Did anyone else notice Webb limping a bit as he was heading over for autographs?
    I was drinking Bourbon all practice, so it may have been my eyes.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Thanks Tony

HAHA I admit to being one of those guys and I also admit that I locked onto Marlon Brown the moment he was signed. I'm not a big Georgia Bulldogs gamer, but did catch a little of what he brought to the table and figured he would have been drafted if not for being injured. If he can catch the ball and play STs, he's making it.

Also good to see Melette getting some praise. I think that he may have a big future here as well after he adjust to the pro game.

Hopefully we can finally get a real WR corp behind Torrey.