Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Should the "Art" patch stay on the Ravens uniform?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    The Yankees don't wear THE BOSS patch in memory of Steinbrenner on their unis anymore. I think it was just for the rest of the 2010 season and maybe the 2011 season, not sure, but not this past season.

BTW, stupid Yankee fans don't even know what the name means nor does anyone else in the country. The word yankee comes from the Dutch word YAK which means slime, hillbilly, redneck type of guy. That's what they called the English when they ran them out of New York.So when the Americans started acting up the English anglosized it to Yankee and insulted the Americans.

People in NY didn't know what it meant and liked it so much they picked it up and ran with it and came up with Yankee doodle dandy.

That's New Yorkers for you.
    Huh....and all this time I was under the impression that a "Yankee" was the same thing as a "quickie", only you did it yourself.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I'm OK either way on the patch as good arguments were presented for both sides. I'm definitely in support of a permanent tribute to Art as suggested by the portrait at the castle. Or possibly a bronze bust at the walk of fame.
    The portrait already exists.

It's in the front lobby of The Castle and its huge.

Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    You guys remember when you were all bitching about Robert Kraft dedicating the playoff game this year to Myra Kraft?

Just saying.
    Yea, but to be fair - there's a big difference between a deceased former owner with HOF credentials, and a deceased spouse.

Having said that, I'd vote no on making the patches permanent. Everything about the Ravens very existance is a tribute to the man and his legacy here in Baltimore. So to me, it's just unnecessary.

Blog Entries

No because Biscotti is the owner now. It was great to give props to Art and even better that they won it all, but it shouldn't remain on the jersey IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

This isn't a decision the Ravens will make, the NFL makes the decision. The Ravens could ask to keep it but my guess is it would be denied as a 1 year thing.

I say "no". The Ravens' existence, and their rapid rise to perpetual winner status is testament enough to the work that Art did for Baltimore. The HOF is a different argument altogether. The patch was never intended to be a reminder to put him in the HOF, and it shouldn't be used as such now. That dispute is better left settled by other means.

By the way, is Art in the Ring of Honor? If not, he definitely should be.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    I say "no". The Ravens' existence, and their rapid rise to perpetual winner status is testament enough to the work that Art did for Baltimore. The HOF is a different argument altogether. The patch was never intended to be a reminder to put him in the HOF, and it shouldn't be used as such now. That dispute is better left settled by other means.

Yes, he has been for several years.

No.

9. Re: Should the "Art" patch stay on the Ravens uniform?

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Yup. He's in there. Banners on both sides of the field between decks (They put a banner for every inductee on both sides right now- I imagine as the number grows, they'll have to just do one to a customer, though, to find space for them all).

10. Re: Should the "Art" patch stay on the Ravens uniform?

This may sound odd coming from me, because I can sometimes be a controversial poster on some forums, but one thing we may want to consider is the effect having a perpetual arm patch to basically bully the Hall of Fame voters into inducting someone who most of the country views as a villan may have on how we're perceived by the league, the referees, the media, and national fans.

We've had sort of a black hat type image to this point because of the move and Modell and that they didn't like Ray Lewis due to his past and his very strong personality or Brian Billick due to perceived arrogance and this, that, and the other, and all the close calls go against us and we lose games because of referee bias and the like. Now we have a different owner, a different head coach, and a low-key family-friendly Joe Flacco as the face of the franchise. Maybe we could be the chosen ones and start getting the calls and friendly press coverage and the like for a change. ;) Unless we basically give everyone the finger and do stuff like put a patch for Modell on our uniforms for the next 20 years. ;) I'm just saying. Modell probably would rather we get calls and win then wear a patch in perpetuity (Doing it for a year was absolutely the right thing to do and so is having him in the Ring of Honor, etc., but there coming a point where it'll be viewed as excessive and become something people don't like about us if we push it too far).

Just throwing that out there. Food for thought. My first post in this thread is my main response, this is just a little side thought I had.

Blog Entries

Wait a minute let me check something...

As I suspected, same as Generalissimo Franco.

JK.

If it were up to me I'd say keep it on the uniforms. Modell wasn't just the owner, he was the founder. Without Art, there is no Baltimore Ravens Football Club. Kinda like George Washington wasn't just President, he was the first President. I mean c'mon, would you take GW off the $1 bill? Defense rests! (Offense takes the field.)

But if Greedell & his barely-men have the final say (talk about "temperamental Third-World dictators"!) it'll be gone. Bastards. (FTR even if they leave it on they're still bastards.)

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I don't know..... I mean I could make a case for keeping it. Haven't the Browns had an Al Lerner patch for like a decade? But I agree with what some have already said --they didn't do it for Johnny U or any other local legends and to do one for Art (much as he might deserve it) could potentially open the flood gates as well as create bitterness from the families of the legends -- "if (x legend) has a permanent patch why can't my relative have it?"

Besides I look at it another way. Imagine if we had to be subjected looking at a permanent "Bob" tribute on Indy's uniforms all these years. It would seem like a big In Your Face to Cleveland and I wouldn't want to do their fans dirty like that. (even if all the national sympathy after all these years and their general sense of entitlement is irritating)