Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens closing in on Division record

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    There have been a number of coaches that have had success right from the get go: Vince Lombardi, Joe Gibbs, Bill Walsh, George Halas, Jimmy Johnson, Weeb Ewbank and Bill Parcells all won a title by year 4.

Then, there have been a number of really good coaches that have never worn the ring: Marty Schottenheimer (13 playoff teams), Bud Grant (12 playoff teams), Chuck Knox (11 playoff teams), Dan Reeves and Andy Reid (both with 9 playoff teams).

Then there are the late bloomers.
    9 years (and his second team) before coach A won a title.
    11 years before coach B won a title.
    8 years before coach C won a title.
    5 years before coach D won a title.
    6 years (and his second team) before coach E won a title.
    13 years before coach F won a title.
    11 years (and his second team) before coach G won a title.

Coach A = Don Shula
    Coach B = Tom Landry
    Coach C = Curley Lambeau
    Coach D = Chuck Knoll
    Coach E = Bill Belichik
    Coach F = Bill Cowher
    Coach G = Tom Coughlin

We know Harbaugh isn't part of the first group, but is he in the second group, or the third? Choose wisely...
    Second group. I have a steak dinner on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Ate_My_Lunch View Post
    Also, I draw comics for a living and spend a lot of time at conventions across the country. I've seen a TON of cosplay (and by ton I mean rolls and rolls of fat stuffed into spandex) and this is the best Bane cosplay I've ever seen. Bring your ass to the Baltimore Comic Con next fall if you want to get some appreciation.
    Here's a link to some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's because if there is anyone who really is on Venom it would be Captain Silver.
    Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Bad judge of talent?

Please explain.
    Yeah, I need to hear more about that one. And bad clock management? That has been said about every single coach in NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Yeah, I need to hear more about that one. And bad clock management? That has been said about every single coach in NFL history.
    Well, there was that one timeout that came back on the plane with them from Foxboro last year. But other than that one instance, Harbaugh has been decent.

In terms of another aspect of clock management, the one vast improvement over the previous coaching staff is the tempo of the offense. Even before they went to the no-huddle/sugar-huddle this year, Harbaugh/Cameron almost always had the offense out of the huddle and up to the line of scrimmage with time to spare.

How many times did Billick's offenses just seem to plod, plod, plod their way from play to play?

U guys are complaining just to complain. we easily could have wound up with Garret or Rex. Either would have been a disaster. The players buy what Harbs sells and they win every year. Lets resume this thread in 5 years if we still have no trophy. Until then this is a non issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timmyonfleet View Post
    U guys are complaining just to complain. we easily could have wound up with Garret or Rex. Either would have been a disaster. The players buy what Harbs sells and they win every year. Lets resume this thread in 5 years if we still have no trophy. Until then this is a non issue.
    Actually, no. If you READ the first words of the OP's post it says, "I still don't understand why some people want Harbaugh gone(?)"

Meaning myself and a few others are answering his question about why we do not like John Harbaugh as head coach. I didn't start a thread to state my position, I merely VOICE my opinion when the question or reasons for continued failure to win a championship arise.

I am not alone in my opinion that John hasn't done enough, Super Bowl, MVP Steve Young agrees that the Ravens have had more talent on the field than most of the NFL and have done the least with it. Do you think this team is always going to have that much talent?

Then the apologist come along, and yes I agree we were a dropped pass from the Super Bowl, but by that same token, we should have been smashing the Patriots as we were out playing them the whole game, but we missed key strategic points that other head coaches would have feasted on.

Having hindsight into who would have been coach is pointless because I never would have fired Billick, he was a QB away from another Super Bowl victory. Spare me the crucifixtion of Brian Billick, I am merely stating an answer to Garret and Rex.

So Timmyonfleet, read the whole ongoing discussion before you presume all us 'guys' complain to complain, were that the case I would start my own thread. And pray tell, when we have no trophy in 5 years, is it then permissable to have the opinion that John Harbaugh is an underachiever? Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Actually, no. If you READ the first words of the OP's post it says, "I still don't understand why some people want Harbaugh gone(?)"

Meaning myself and a few others are answering his question about why we do not like John Harbaugh as head coach. I didn't start a thread to state my position, I merely VOICE my opinion when the question or reasons for continued failure to win a championship arise.

I am not alone in my opinion that John hasn't done enough, Super Bowl, MVP Steve Young agrees that the Ravens have had more talent on the field than most of the NFL and have done the least with it. Do you think this team is always going to have that much talent?

Then the apologist come along, and yes I agree we were a dropped pass from the Super Bowl, but by that same token, we should have been smashing the Patriots as we were out playing them the whole game, but we missed key strategic points that other head coaches would have feasted on.

Having hindsight into who would have been coach is pointless because I never would have fired Billick, he was a QB away from another Super Bowl victory. Spare me the crucifixtion of Brian Billick, I am merely stating an answer to Garret and Rex.

So Timmyonfleet, read the whole ongoing discussion before you presume all us 'guys' complain to complain, were that the case I would start my own thread. And pray tell, when we have no trophy in 5 years, is it then permissable to have the opinion that John Harbaugh is an underachiever? Give me a break.
    Interesting opinions; obviously there is no way to prove or disprove. It's also possible that Harbaugh has done a good job getting the talent to play as a team, and another coach may not have gotten the Ravens as far. Again, no way to prove one way or another.

There will always be I suppose a group of fans that think the coach is holding the team back, while another group feels that the coach is putting them in the best position to win. Makes for interesting conversation for sure.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OC View Post
    Interesting opinions; obviously there is no way to prove or disprove. It's also possible that Harbaugh has done a good job getting the talent to play as a team, and another coach may not have gotten the Ravens as far. Again, no way to prove one way or another.

There will always be I suppose a group of fans that think the coach is holding the team back, while another group feels that the coach is putting them in the best position to win. Makes for interesting conversation for sure.
    Agreed, and I know I am in the minority but that is fine.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

A lot of interesting comments in this thread.

Not to veer too far OT, but as I was reading the thread about Ditka's minor stroke, I spotted this link in one of the margins. I thought it was somewhat interesting in light of the OP's original question, and didn't want to start a whole different thread.

Title of the linked article is "The Worst Head Coach in Every NFL Team's History". (Can you guess who for the Ravens???;))

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post

And if Harbaugh had big Jen, Arraon Rogers, or Tom Bady, Harbaugh could have had at least two rings by now.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    And if Harbaugh had big Jen, Arraon Rogers, or Tom Bady, Harbaugh could have had at least two rings by now.
    Oh thats Horseshit... They would still Have CAM's playbook

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Oh thats Horseshit... They would still Have CAM's playbook
    I agree with this. They used to say that the only person able to hold Michael Jordan under 20 points was Dean Smith. I counter that with, the only coach who could throttle those quarterbacks is Cam Cameron.

Blog Entries

This is a very impressive record, and one of a few that John Harbaugh has this team in position for. This could be their second consecutive season sweep of the division. This could also be their third consecutive 12 win season. They would be creeping into Indianapolis territory.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore