Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    See SMU and Oklahoma, circa mid 1980's.
    Thanks for making my point. Those programs violated NCAA by-laws - recruiting violations, prohibited benefits to players, etc. - and were repeat violators (and had received previous punishment), which the NCAA's rule on death penalty calls for when applying the death penalty. They were appropriately punished, pursuant to those rules.

In this case, what the authorities at Penn State did was criminal, but not necessarily a violation of NCAA rules.

Again, what happened at Penn State is waaaay bigger than the football program. It show an educational institution that was totally out of control. The penalties should appropriately come from the authorities that deal with those issues - prosecutors, the State of PA and the Department of Ed.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Maybe so. I've read stories on both sides of this fence. And I am not calling for the death penalty for Penn State or anything.

But when boys are told by a Penn State coach, Sandusky, that they need to give him sexual favors if they wish access to the team and it's facilities, certainly there is something in the NCAA's prevue that would justify a punishment on that level.
    I certainly understand - and agree - with your point. I'm just not sure that the drafters of the NCAA rules ever envisioned this sort of circumstance. I would agree that there's probably a way to fashion an argument for some sort of punishment, but I don't see it being the death penalty (as some are calling for).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Thanks for making my point. Those programs violated NCAA by-laws - recruiting violations, prohibited benefits to players, etc. - and were appropriately punished, pursuant to those rules.

In this case, what the authorities at Penn State did was criminal, but not necessarily a violation of NCAA rules.

Again, what happened at Penn State is waaaay bigger than the football program. It show an educational institution that was totally out of control. The penalties should appropriately come from the authorities that deal with those issues - prosecutors, the State of PA and the Department of Ed.
    You must have missed the part about U of Oklahoma football players firing Uzis from a balcony. That's got to be a crime somewhere.

You must have missed the part about U of Oklahoma football players firing Uzis from a balcony. That's got to be a crime somewhere.
    The NCAA didn't sanction them for that.

Exactly.

Yes, it is a crime. A crime punishable by the police and prosecutors (and possible the ATF).

The NCAA, OTOH, did not sanction them for that because it was not a violation of an NCAA rule.

While I am sure that there are a lot of people higher up in the NCAA who would like to take action in the present matter, they know that they are bound by the rules that are before them. IMO, the NCAA is going to have a hard time making those rules fit into a death penalty situation.

Blog Entries

I thought they did. I stand corrected.

So you are calling for "no football program for 10 years". And you think that is an appropriate response?

I'm all in favor of burning the perps (and we know who they are) at the stake. They were responsible. But I'm not in favor of carpet bombing an institution because it may have benefitted financially from the football program thriving.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    So you are calling for "no football program for 10 years". And you think that is an appropriate response?

I'm all in favor of burning the perps (and we know who they are) at the stake. They were responsible. But I'm not in favor of carpet bombing an institution because it may have benefitted financially from the football program thriving.
    The "perps" was like the entire institution of Penn State, though. That's what you're missing. You HAVE to punish the institution. This is no different than, say, the Enron scandal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post

Yes. Absolutely. When the cover up goes beyond the athletic program and spills over into other areas of the university, then yes. Take it all away.

And there are STILL PSU supporters who are claiming that this thing is overblown and that it's the media's fault.

Simply amazing.

PP

The PSU forums are amazing right now.

Fine let's not kill the football program. Let them continue to play and compete. Let's take all revenues for the next 10 years generated by the football program and donate them to the appropriate charity. Penn State benefitted financially from criminal acts and this is the only way to ensure that real change will be made on that campus.