Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Our first round pick in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    That seems likely to me. I really hope we get Evans. Torrey, Marlon Brown and Mike Evans would be a real nice trio.
    It would.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    We need a tall receiver
    All Seattle's receivers did was get open, catch the ball in traffic, and make plays.
    They are 6'2", 6'1", 5'11", and 5'10".

The Ravens need guys who can get open and catch the ball in traffic. There's more to it than height.

Defense, baby.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

In referring to draft of OL, several posters have mentioned Ryan Jensen. I'm baffled why.

IIRC he was hurt very early, before spring practice, so the coaches have seen little or nothing beyond his college game film. So why is he so highly regarded on this forum? LATE round pick from a small program that has produced few/no NFL players.

I recall other much-praised draft picks like Oneil Cousins, Jah Reid, Adam Terry . . .

I HOPE he makes it, but can anyone help me understand why he would?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    In referring to draft of OL, several posters have mentioned Ryan Jensen. I'm baffled why.

IIRC he was hurt very early, before spring practice, so the coaches have seen little or nothing beyond his college game film. So why is he so highly regarded on this forum? LATE round pick from a small program that has produced few/no NFL players.

I recall other much-praised draft picks like Oneil Cousins, Jah Reid, Adam Terry . . .

Jensen had a foot injury. The Ravens could have IRed him, but chose to keep him on the 53 man roster instead. It shows they really like what he brought to the table for them to take up a roster spot... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post

I am absolutely with you on this. For the moment I'm projecting him to be a depth player for his entire career. Until he shows some sort of capability to even be a legit competitor for a starting job he's just a guy to me. People predicting him to enter 2014 as the staring center are out of their minds IMO.

You don't avoid adding a top tier talent at a position because you drafted a depth guy at #199 or whatever in last year's draft... that's silly. This team's most urgent need right now is obviously the offensive line. I expect the Ravens to add at least 2 linemen between the draft and free agency next year, and that's born out by John Harbaugh: he said himself that the only guaranteed starter next year is Marshal Yanda. Even if they bring Monroe back, which I think they will, KO's career might be over, Gino should never start another game in his life, and they have no proven RT. They're not going to pass up a good OL prospect because they have Ryan Jensen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    All Seattle's receivers did was get open, catch the ball in traffic, and make plays.

The Ravens need guys who can get open and catch the ball in traffic. There's more to it than height.
    I think when folks say we need a tall receiver, they're actually saying we need someone who can make contested receptions.

Marlon Brown is 6'5", Torrey is 6'1", Jacoby is 6'2", Pitta is 6'4", Dickson is 6'4", Doss is 6'2", and Mellette is 6'3". The shortest receiver was Thompson at 6'.

All things considered, we had some decent height at receiver this past year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think when folks say we need a tall receiver, they're actually saying we need someone who can make contested receptions.

Marlon Brown is 6'5", Torrey is 6'1", Jacoby is 6'2", Pitta is 6'4", Dickson is 6'4", Doss is 6'2", and Mellette is 6'3". The shortest receiver was Thompson at 6'.

Great point. What we need are some receivers who get some separation. The new scheme should help but it wouldn't hurt to bring someone in who has shown the ability to get open.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I think every single one of those guys (with the exception of Pitta) play smaller than what they are.

We need a physical receiver. Marlon Brown may be 6'5, but he will never physically dominate CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I think every single one of those guys (with the exception of Pitta) play smaller than what they are.

We need a physical receiver. Marlon Brown may be 6'5, but he will never physically dominate CBs.
    I do agree with this, definitely. Our receiving corps is seriously lacking in physicality. (cue the obvious "shouldn't have gotten rid of Boldin" comments...) That's different from size, though, or at least height. Boldin was only 6'1 on a good day. Hines Ward was barely 6'. Steve Smith is one of the smallest and most physical receivers in the league.

I don't really see a receiver for whom physicality stands out to me in this draft, but once upon a time Hakeem Nicks brought a physical presence to the field. If that hasn't totally evaporated from injuries and poor play over the last few years, maybe he's worth a look to add that edge we now lack.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post

My thought exactly. We have players already with intangibles, but they have issues getting consistenly open. I see Marquise Lee being a player without that issue. Not sure about Watkins if it isn't a 9 or drag route. Evans seems to never have had to run a real route the way that offense was setup and Manziel's scrambling ability opening up plays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Great point. What we need are some receivers who get some separation. The new scheme should help but it wouldn't hurt to bring someone in who has shown the ability to get open.
    It is more than just being able to separate though. Separation doesn't necessarily mean that a receiver has to be fast enough to run away from a defender to catch the ball. Yes, that would be great to have, but it is hard to find guys who are pristine route runners coming right out of college. Even the top-rated receiver (Watkins) in this year's draft class isn't known for his exceptional routes.

IMO, I think separation can be schemed by the offensive design. What I really look for is a receiver who can just flat out catch passes that are within his grasp. All of last season I felt like our receivers had to be wide open if they were going to make the reception. I really want to see Baltimore get a guy who is ok with having to make contested receptions. I want a guy who is good to go with fighting a defender for a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I do agree with this, definitely. Our receiving corps is seriously lacking in physicality. (cue the obvious "shouldn't have gotten rid of Boldin" comments...) That's different from size, though, or at least height. Boldin was only 6'1 on a good day. Hines Ward was barely 6'. Steve Smith is one of the smallest and most physical receivers in the league.

I don't really see a receiver for whom physicality stands out to me in this draft, but once upon a time Hakeem Nicks brought a physical presence to the field. If that hasn't totally evaporated from injuries and poor play over the last few years, maybe he's worth a look to add that edge we now lack.
    :word