Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: We're gonna be good!

Nobody seems to realize...the fears we have...31 other NFL teams have the same problems. Look at the Steelers...OL is still shit, and their G that was going to redeem it is essentially lost for the duration. Their RB situation is a mess. Their star WR JUST reported to camp this week, their D is aging, they lost a couple key pieces to injuries in preseason, their CBs aren't anything to write home about...

And yet everyone here assumes "That's it, Steelers are running away with the division".

No team in the NFL is stacked. Even the Texans probably have some issues.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post

We have "won" for the last 4 years straight.

Is 5 the minimum or something before fans realize what is going on here?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I also agree, the whole "Harbaugh is going to have to prove himself as a HC" is getting kind've old. Ok, the guy hasn't won a SB yet. But it's funny how if we win, he gets no credit for it. But if we were to lose, he would shoulder the blame. Like if we win, it's in spite of him leading the team, but if we lose, it's obviously his failures as a HC.

People still seem to want the hot name in HC, and can't accept that a guy who flew under the radar could possibly be a decent choice.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I also agree, the whole "Harbaugh is going to have to prove himself as a HC" is getting kind've old. Ok, the guy hasn't won a SB yet. But it's funny how if we win, he gets no credit for it. But if we were to lose, he would shoulder the blame. Like if we win, it's in spite of him leading the team, but if we lose, it's obviously his failures as a HC.

People still seem to want the hot name in HC, and can't accept that a guy who flew under the radar could possibly be a decent choice.
    :word

Because the guy everyone wanted has done such a great job down in Dallas...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I've been saying this all offseason. Harbaugh is the Joe Flacco of coaches. When we win its because some defensive coordinator put together a great defensive game plan or because Ozzie Newsome is great at assembling talent to put on the field. When we lose, its because Harbaugh didn't call a time out or Harbaugh challenged to many plays or not enough.... Its the same thing with Flacco. When we whooped the Steelers week 1, every player except Flacco got credit. The defense got credit, Rice got credit, Boldin got credit, hell even Bryant McKinnie got credit. Flacco got nothing. And when we lose, of course it is always all Flacco's fault. Hell sometimes when we win, it's Flacco's fault that we didn't win by more.....

Rant over.

Nobody seems to realize...the fears we have...31 other NFL teams have the same problems. Look at the Steelers...OL is still shit, and their G that was going to redeem it is essentially lost for the duration. Their RB situation is a mess. Their star WR JUST reported to camp this week, their D is aging, they lost a couple key pieces to injuries in preseason, their CBs aren't anything to write home about...

And yet everyone here assumes "That's it, Steelers are running away with the division".

No team in the NFL is stacked. Even the Texans probably have some issues.
    The steelers offensive line has been shit for years, so it doesn't really matter. A team that has difficulty putting pressure on the quarterback can ill afford to lose its best pass-rusher, so the Raens might be in a little trouble defensively. One of our starting corners (Smith) doesn't seem to be making any progress over his rookie year and we still have cautious Cam calling the plays on opffense. There's no question that the defense will not be as good as in years past. The question is can Cam get his head out of his ass and take the prsssure off of the defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    We have "won" for the last 4 years straight.

Is 5 the minimum or something before fans realize what is going on here?
    :word Great post as usual haha.

We will be good. We're among those teams that consistently plays at a high level. But good doesn't mean playoffs.

When thinking playoffs you do have to give due credit to our two main division obstacles - Cincy and Pit. I think if Dalton, AJ Green, and Gresham develop, along with some upcoming stars in Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap, they have a fair chance to be in our same tier. Pit we already know is always a threat.

The really challenging part is that the Ravens have the hardest schedule of those three. We all play the NFC East and AFC West, so that's moot. But where we play the Patriots and Texans, Pit plays the Jets and the Titans and the Bengals play Miami and Jacksonville. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that we can lose to the Pats and Texans and that Pit and Cincy will beat their AFC East and AFC South opponents. So that's potentially two games we're already behind.

Then consider that Pit hosts San Diego, while we travel to them. That's a big advantage because of how difficult cross country travel can be on a team. Fortunately Pit also travels to Denver, so maybe that will even things out. Depends on how good both teams are.

Assume though that Pit or Cincy finishes a game or so ahead of us. Then we need to battle it out for a wildcard. It's hard to predict, but I imagine the competition for the wildcard spot will be between Buffalo (sorry Jets) and the remaining AFC North team. AFC West has a very tough schedule so I don't see competition coming from there. So does the AFC South.

Buffalo, like the Pats, has a very easy schedule since the division is weak and they play against the NFC West and the AFC South - only real threats (as of now) there being San Fran, Seattle, and Houston. They can very well secure one of those spots.

So basically it will probably come down to the wire. I just hope with the loss of JJ and Redding we can stuff the run well enough, since I know Pit is trying to shift to featuring a more balanced attack.

Again, we'll be one of the top teams in the NFL. The talent is there.

If you want to know why people are so down on their team this time of year, you have to keep in mind that some sports fans would rather have that mindset. Face it, as a sports fan, you're disappointed much more often than not. That's just the law of averages. So some people would rather keep their expectations low from the start, that way they aren't as emotionally crushed if their team doesn't go all the way. It's kind of a defensive mechanism.

I don't feel that way. I became a sports fan because I relish winning, and don't let myself get too down when they don't. My philosophy is: if you're gonna root for a sports team, root for them all the way from the start, with your expectations being the highest (within reason, of course). There's no reason to believe the Ravens won't win the Super Bowl this year. We have the talent, experience, and history on our side. There's no reason to believe we're not just as good as any of the other SB contenders.

I can guarantee that most of our opponents fans are dreading the fact that the Ravens are on their schedule this year. They all have that date circled on their calendars as being a tough tough game. The Ravens have a 24-8 record over the last 2 seasons, and 44-20 record over the last 4 seasons. I'd be REALLY worried if my team had to face them. However, the team's biggest critics are their own fans.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens27Girl View Post
    Prove his worth, seriously? I don't think Harbaugh has anything to prove at this point and has proven quite well that he is a great HC for this team. I doubt the team or Biscotti or even most of the fans feel he still has to prove something more than what we've seen the last 4 years. I think you may have him mixed up with Rex Ryan.
    I didn't say Harbaugh had anything to prove. I said prove his worth, which means he cannot afford to have snafus like not making in game adjustments, making poor use of his timeouts or most importantly, let his OC call games like Jacksonville,, Seattle or the first quarter of the AFCCG. He's a decent enough coach, but he's far from great, my friend.

Didn't he prove his worth when he took the team to the playoffs with a rookie QB and RB?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulahoo View Post
    Didn't he prove his worth when he took the team to the playoffs with a rookie QB and RB?
    Rice wasn't the feature back. It was McGahee and McClain. And let's be honest - Flacco really wasn't asked to do much besides manage the offense.