Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Egyptian Revolt

Re: Egyptian Revolt

I am not sure what people mean by "get involved," by I think we should continue to give the aid (money and military equipment) to the Egyptian military that we have been giving for the last 3 decades. There is almost no downside and significant upside to continuing the aid.

Obviously I don't think we should get involved with troops or firing any missiles or dropping any bombs. But sending money for humanitarian purposes as well as military/police purposes seems sensible.

Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood are, and have always been, unacceptable in terms of US interests.

And if we simply ignore El-Sisi, the country, and region entirely, or waffle and waver and act like we have no idea what we want, then someone like Russia will step in and assert their influence.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I am not sure what people mean by "get involved," by I think we should continue to give the aid (money and military equipment) to the Egyptian military that we have been giving for the last 3 decades. There is almost no downside and significant upside to continuing the aid.

Obviously I don't think we should get involved with troops or firing any missiles or dropping any bombs. But sending money for humanitarian purposes as well as military/police purposes seems sensible.

Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood are, and have always been, unacceptable in terms of US interests.

And if we simply ignore El-Sisi, the country, and region entirely, or waffle and waver and act like we have no idea what we want, then someone like Russia will step in and assert their influence.
    I certainly agree with what you're saying.

When I say that I hope we "dont get involved", what I mean is that I hope we don't send in our own troops to try and make them figure this whole thing out. I firmly believe that the US cannot continue to get involved in other nation's issues. That is one of the biggest reasons why the rest of the world views the US as disrespectful, nosy and arrogant.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I certainly agree with what you're saying.

When I say that I hope we "dont get involved", what I mean is that I hope we don't send in our own troops to try and make them figure this whole thing out. I firmly believe that the US cannot continue to get involved in other nation's issues. That is one of the biggest reasons why the rest of the world views the US as disrespectful, nosy and arrogant.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Other than the trillion dollar deficits that the US is currently running? Or not spending that money in our own country? Or picking the wrong side, again, and inspiring a new generation of terrorists?

I have no problems with humanitarian aid, if and only if, the US taxpayers can be assured that the money is actually going to the people that need the help. Which is nearly impossible, I would admit.

So? There are hundreds of dictators, tyrants and non-democratically elected governments across the world that don't have the same interests as the US. And what exactly is our "interest" in Egypt?

Which would then make it Russia's problem. And exactly how would this be a bad outcome for the US?

To be clear. I am greatly disturbed when people have their rights, including their rights to life, trampled by foreign governments. But I by no means think that the US government needs to act on every single one of these occurrences.

I would first like to see a clear foreign policy strategy that puts our interests first and foremost. One that does not include "an interest" in 130 other governments resulting in "aid", "military assistance", and troops all over the globe.

Someone needs to tell me how the events in Egypt, as horrible as they are, is a direct threat to the security interests of the United States and requires immediate action.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Someone needs to tell me how the events in Egypt, as horrible as they are, is a direct threat to the security interests of the United States and requires immediate action.
    Short answer, they aren't. Long answer: Egypt could potentially become yet another safe haven for terrorism. That is of a big security interest for the USA.

However, myself, like many here, favor not getting involved.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller