Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: 23 Years?! 23 Freaking Years?!!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    My favorite is when Tony Siragusa visited the Bengals as a free agent. They sent him a coach ticket and Mike Brown was there to pick him up at the airport in his Chrysler Town & Country. Goose passed and signed with the Ravens instead.
    What would really be priceless is a picture of Siragusa (or any other NFL lineman) shoehorned into a airline coach seat. :)

Quote Originally Posted by FredGrau View Post
    justify - Marvin Lewis has done well on the Bungles in spite of Mike Brown and their front office. They finished 10-6 last year, made the playoffs the last 2 years. Their defense has finished in the top 10 the last 2 years. They also swept the division several years ago. They've had some decent drafts the last several years and many believe they'll win the AFC North this year.

Marvin Lewis had to do quite a few things right in order to accomplish that under Mike Brown.
    I really have to disagree. While I don't deny Brown is the bigger issue with the Bengals, his non-firing of Lewis being one issue in itself, Lewis hasn't accomplished much. Considering how long the guy has coached, im sure he would have a successful season here or there. That doesn't take away from his terrible coaching tenure. Look at a guy like Brian Billick's tenure. He won a SB. Despite not being able to produce a top 5 offense (why he was brought here), he was extremely successful at creating an extremely competitive team. Lewis was brought in to create them a top 5 defense, and while that never happened, its not like he at least knew how to head coach well like Billick and others. Billick won playoff games and made SB runs. He was fantastic at picking great coaches for his team as well. But all it took was an injury plagued losing season before the Ravens decided it was important to make a change to keep us competitive. Forget that Lewis has been there too long, but he hasn't even been half as good as Billick as a head coach. He hasn't been as good as half the coaches that've been fired over the last decade. Even Schottenheimer got fired from SD after a 14-2 season because he couldn't win in the playoffs. Im sorry but Marvin Lewis is garbage.

Blog Entries

Billick had Ozzie and Modell. To be fair, Lewis has Mike Brown.

I mean, the man passed up two firsts and some for Chad Johnson.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    Look at a guy like Brian Billick's tenure.
    Lets!

Billick had 9 years, 4 playofff appearances, and 8 playoff wins, including a Superbowl.

Lewis has had 10 years thus far, 4 playoff appearances, and 0 playoff wins.

Billick's regular season win percentage is .556, playoffs .625.

Lewis' regular season win percentage is .497, playoffs 0.

Billick had 3 below .500 seasons out of 9.

Lewis has had 3 below .500 seasons out of 10.

Honestly, regular season, I think Lewis compares very favorably to Billick. I also think it's important to note that the only times Billick has won a game in the playoffs, Lewis was on his staff. After Lewis' last season as DC, Billick has the same playoff winning percentage as Lewis does.

Lastly, I understand Mike Brown not having fired Lewis. He's the winningest coach they've had since Sam Wyche - which means he's the winningest coach Mike Brown has ever hired!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Lastly, I understand Mike Brown not having fired Lewis. He's the winningest coach they've had since Sam Wyche - which means he's the winningest coach Mike Brown has ever hired!
    It seems that Mike Brown is just fine with mediocrioty, which is why Marvin is still there. IMHO
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Yup and Detroit is at 21, CHEFS at 19, THE BILLS 17 ( Holy cow Jim Kelly) and rounding out the top 5. The Brownies at 15.

It really sucks to be a Lions fan. 55 years since being in the 1957 Championship game. The Jets at 44 years with the chefs at 43 and those Brownies at 40 with the Vikes rounding out the top 5 at 36..
    The Browns have not been in a Championship game for at least 47 years as they have never been in a Super Bowl. I believe the 64 Championship where they beat the Colts is their last appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Billick had 3 below .500 seasons out of 9.

Lewis has had 3 below .500 seasons out of 10.
    Lewis also only has four seasons OVER .500.

And say what you will about the difference between Brown and Newsome, but Marvin had a real NFL QB to work with. Billick did all that without the benefit of one. One of Billick's below-.500 years was 2002 when we went 7-9, and I think that was his most impressive coaching performance. That was after the Great Purge, and most people thought we would be lucky to win four games that year.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    One of Billick's below-.500 years was 2002 when we went 7-9, and I think that was his most impressive coaching performance. That was after the Great Purge, and most people thought we would be lucky to win four games that year.
    Oh, no argument, here, this I believe is the gospel truth. I absolutely LOVED that 7-9 2002 Ravens team. It was, honestly, my favorite Ravens team until the Harbaugh teams. I just really, REALLY loved the heart of that team. That MNF game vs Denver is still one of my favorite at-the-stadium moments. Absolutely agreed - Billick was at the top of his game, whether the win/loss record that year reflects it or not.

I just thought justifythegame's belief that Lewis is "garbage" was too strong. Of course, this is all a matter of opinion, but, to me, Jim Schwartz is "garbage". I think Lewis is, currently, a solidly average HC. With a better FO and general organization around him, I think he could be "Jeff Fisher" good. If you think Jeff Fisher is any good, that is.

As a complete side note: after finishing 5-11, firing the coach and hiring a completely off-the-radar HC candidate, McNair retiring, and drafting a 1AA QB, most people thought the Ravens would be lucky to win four games in 2008 (I saved the articles from the internet using "Print-To-File" - I have them saved!!!). After Harbaugh takes them to the AFC Championship game that year, all I heard about is what a stacked team Harbaugh took over, from some of the same writers who were calling that team a dumpster fire before the 2008 season started.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    It seems that Mike Brown is just fine with mediocrioty, which is why Marvin is still there. IMHO
    That's because mediocrity is a huge improvement over what they had before Marvin Lewis. That team had 14 straight seasons without a winning record. Since then they've had 4 in the past 8 years.

It's tough for Ravens fans to understand just how horrible the ownership of the Bengals is because we've never seen anything close to it. Imagine the Owner being the GM, his best friend running scouting for decades, his daughter and her husband being responsible for all the players contracts. Mike Brown once said in an interview that air conditioning ruined this country because it made everyone soft. This is coming from someone who grew up with a famous head coach for a father and always had a job with the family business. Brown is a moron and complete loser. The only thing he shares with his father is the family name. Hopefully those genes skipped generation and his daughter will be a lot better for the Bengals fans.
    Last edited by GOTA; 06-17-2013 at 11:10 AM.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Greg-
    Lived in Baltimore then before moving back to Youngstown. Visited Grams Petard in Struthers, and bet her $1.00 (about 2 months worth of my allowance!!!) that the BALTIMORE Colts would beat the Brownies. She took the action, but not my money. Compassionate woman, she!

I still weep thinking about watching that game...:(

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's tough for Ravens fans to understand just how horrible the ownership of the Bengals is because we've never seen anything close to it.
    I take it you're not an Orioles fan.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I take it you're not an Orioles fan.
    At least they have the no revenue sharing and no salary cap excuse. You almost have to try to lose to be that bad for that long in the NFL.