Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I hear you but you'd have to admit their hopes aren't improving.
    Hopes to do what?

I feel like their hopes are pretty much the same as they were from the win against Dallas. We had lost a couple key players and seen that our defense was far from the status quo. Our offense had displayed carry over from last years road woes. Many here expected us to go to Houston and get whooped.

My hopes are high. I still think this team has as much talent as any and I'm somewhat confident that the team used this bye week to fix some of our problems.

The NY Giants were swept by the Skins last year. If that doesn't give you hope for our team than I don't know what will.

Go Ravens :ww:

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Tomorrow is an important game for a couple reasons. First of which is to show that we're a better team than what we showed in Houston. But also, it's quite possible that Pitt goes into NY and gets beat, so a win over the Browns will give us a 2 game cushion once again. Pitt has a pretty easy schedule after Sunday, so it would be nice to have some margin for error the rest of the season.
    This sums it up for me. Coming off of a much needed bye, the game in Cleveland is a crucial opportunity for the Ravens to restore their confidence as a team. They need to reestablish themselves as a solid contender with an important road victory (keep their intra-divisional winning streak intact) while staying AHEAD of the Steelers.

They eventually snapped the 9 game skid with a win over the Steelers in the season finale at home by the score of 27-21.

The win was essentially a gift from Bill Cowher who rested most of his starters because a win would not affect the Steelers post season seeding.
    Sorry but this incorrect and leaves out a lot of other facts about that game.

Mike Tomlin was the coach. Cowher retired after the 2006 season.

The Steelers did rest Ben and Troy but played the rest of their starters into the 3rd quarter but rested them after they found out that the Chargers were going to win and retain the 3rd seed. To that point though the damage had been done because the Ravens had already gashed them badly with the running game and had a 20-7 lead. The Steelers were trying to avoid playing Jacksonville who was on a roll and had beaten them already that season.

Lastly the Ravens were playing with Troy Smith, Musa Smith and Cory Ross. This was not the Ravens 1's versus the Steelers 3rd string as many think it was and in reality a Steelers D even without Troy should've shut out the Ravens 3rd and 4th stringers.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200712...vens#tab=recap

As for the comparison to 2007 I think its a little off. The Ravens D then was off because of injuries to their corners and an injured Trevor Pryce basically aging before our eyes (how he made it to 2010 is beyond me). The offense was simply putrid but had really slowed from the middle of the 2006 season so the injuries to McNair, JO and yes Demetrius Williams basically grounded them (not to mention that the oline had 3 rookies along with Mike Flynn who makes Matt Birk look likes he's in his prime).

This year the D has dealt with major injuries but truthfully they were playing below standard. At this point the best we can expect is a bend but don't break defense that can at least hold decent to below average teams to FG's. The wild card is the offense. They simply have to consistently produce. With no major injuries on that side of the ball they should be better than this. While the o line is not the best in pass protection, stats show that they are not bad run blockers which leads me to the point everyone has been trying to make........run the ball more often.

If the Ravens run the ball its does so many positive things for not only the offense but for the team in general. The offense eats up TOP, they can run play action effectively (press man is limited) and the defense stays off the field. For some reason this team has simply not played to their strengths especially on the road. Everyone who has ever played states that on the road you have to bring your defense and your running game and while the D is below average the running game is still there and can cover for a multitude of weaknesses.

This season doesn't have to be a repeat of 2007 because the Ravens clearly have more talent and experience than that team however if the coaching staff and specifically John Harbaugh continue to play into the opponents hands it will become just another bad dream. If that happens, the owner is going to have to consider significant changes going into 2013 including at the very least putting the HC on notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    If the Ravens run the ball its does so many positive things for not only the offense but for the team in general.
    I've been saying this for weeks now. Run the ball often - Rice is one of our best weapons - but be patient with it. Pass mostly with screens and slants. Make Rice a major part of this offense, and use Boldin for what he does best - crossing patterns underneath. Control the TOP and keep the defense off the field as much as possible.

The Steelers did rest Ben and Troy but played the rest of their starters into the 3rd quarter but rested them after they found out that the Chargers were going to win and retain the 3rd seed. To that point though the damage had been done because the Ravens had already gashed them badly with the running game and had a 20-7 lead. The Steelers were trying to avoid playing Jacksonville who was on a roll and had beaten them already that season.

Lastly the Ravens were playing with Troy Smith, Musa Smith and Cory Ross. This was not the Ravens 1's versus the Steelers 3rd string as many think it was and in reality a Steelers D even without Troy should've shut out the Ravens 3rd and 4th stringers.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200712...vens#tab=recap
    Yes, Tony got the coaches wrong but that link doesn't help your argument.

As that game recap clearly shows it was second string v. second string that night and we managed to pull it out.

So yes, it was a gift from Tomlin. They had nothing to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Hopes to do what?

I feel like their hopes are pretty much the same as they were from the win against Dallas. We had lost a couple key players and seen that our defense was far from the status quo. Our offense had displayed carry over from last years road woes. Many here expected us to go to Houston and get whooped.

My hopes are high. I still think this team has as much talent as any and I'm somewhat confident that the team used this bye week to fix some of our problems.

The NY Giants were swept by the Skins last year. If that doesn't give you hope for our team than I don't know what will.

Go Ravens :ww:
    Maybe I should have qualified that by saying "realistic hopes." If yours are "realistically" high at this point, we're not seeing the same team and I truly hope your expectations are realized and certainly not mine. I think a playoff berth is in serious jeopardy and if they lose today, unless a team can sneak in at 9-7, I don't see 5 wins on the back end of the 16 game schedule. Not this team with their road struggles and sieve-like defense.

TODAY IS A MUST WIN...PERIOD!
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Sorry but this incorrect and leaves out a lot of other facts about that game.

Mike Tomlin was the coach. Cowher retired after the 2006 season.
    Nice catch...thank you.

Doesn't matter, the Steelers mailed it in.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Every game is a must win until they've secured home field in the playoffs.

Then in the playoffs theyre all must win.

It's rare in the NFL to have a game you can afford to lose.

Maybe I should have qualified that by saying "realistic hopes." If yours are "realistically" high at this point, we're not seeing the same team and I truly hope your expectations are realized and certainly not mine. I think a playoff berth is in serious jeopardy and if they lose today, unless a team can sneak in at 9-7, I don't see 5 wins on the back end of the 16 game schedule. Not this team with their road struggles and sieve-like defense.

TODAY IS A MUST WIN...PERIOD!
    I just think you are basing your outlook on what we have been at our worst. I'm basing mine off somewhere in between. This Ravens team has been dominant on offense AT TIMES. We have seen a better offense at points this year than we have ever seen in Baltimore. Although are defense has been a doormat, they have made a few plays that won games for us.

All I'm saying is that it has been far from pretty and the odds are that it won't be pretty from here on, but I don't see any reason why we can't at least split the rest of our games.

A 'must' win and they won! Not pretty, not stylish but it was a W.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yes, Tony got the coaches wrong but that link doesn't help your argument.

As that game recap clearly shows it was second string v. second string that night and we managed to pull it out.

So yes, it was a gift from Tomlin. They had nothing to play for.
    Second string versus 3rd and 4th string to be exact and again the Steelers were playing for seeding. Everyone with the exception of Mike Tomlin knew that playing the Jags was a nightmare scenario and it turned out to be true.

The most glaring aspect is that a top ranked Steelers defense even without Troy shouldn't have had much trouble with a 3rd string rookie QB,2rd string and 4th string RB's in a game where everyone knew the Ravens were going to run.

Sorry to come back at you like this but I pay attention to detail and get a little annoyed when perception gets in the way of facts.

Second string versus 3rd and 4th string to be exact and again the Steelers were playing for seeding. Everyone with the exception of Mike Tomlin knew that playing the Jags was a nightmare scenario and it turned out to be true.

The most glaring aspect is that a top ranked Steelers defense even without Troy shouldn't have had much trouble with a 3rd string rookie QB,2rd string and 3rd string RB's in a game where everyone knew the Ravens were going to run.

Sorry to come back at you like this but I pay attention to detail and I get a little annoyed when perception gets in the way of facts.
    And I'm sorry you confuse your personal opinion as facts.

Equally annoying.