Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2930313233 ... LastLast

Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    Did it? I seem to remember questions about some of these contracts. I specifically remember one guy (although it may have been on Sunspot) talking about Leach's deal (one of the etcs.) and repeatedly using the phrase "fullbacks are a dime a dozen".

Also, were any of those signings affected by that one year of no cap restrictions? Could that be why the protests were much more low key?
    Questions here and there, which very well may have appeared in the past, are one thing. There have been RAMPANT posts here stating that if Joe wants THAT much money it's going to hurt the team around him. NOTHING like that existed prior to the discussions about Joe's contract, despite the fact that those huge over payments HAVE affected the cap and the ability to sign better players. It's a total crock. And a total hypocrisy. And apparently, the owner himself agrees. So it's not necessary to even debate it any further.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    "I trust Ozzie that he and Joe are going to come to an agreement that Joe's happy with and I'm happy with. It would be unfair for me to throw the old 'how much money you get means how much less we can build a team around you.' That's kind of a crock. Because I think the difference between his numbers and Ozzie's numbers are enough for a backup safety." -Bisciotti

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...linta/1890813/
    Then the deal should definately be done before the start of FA, and there should be no reason to franchise Flacco. Let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Fine. Yet where was this line of thinking when it came to Suggs, Ngata, Reed, Lewis, Rice, etc? To me, it's just way too hypocritical to lay it all on Joe, while all this other over spending went on without comment. Joe is more important than all those other players. Period.
    Because we weren't talking about $20M+ per year and those guys weren't going to be taking up 1/6th of the team's Salary Cap.

Not to mention that with Suggs and Ngata, the Salary Cap was actually HIGHER than it is now - and again, they weren't taking up such a huge percentage of the Cap.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 02-08-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

There have been RAMPANT posts here stating that if Joe wants THAT much money it's going to hurt the team around him. .

Dude, we're on page 19 of this thread and very few have actually said that. Stop exaggerating. Stop taking it so personally.

In fact, the only person that seems to be continuing to say that is YOU when you refer to others saying it (when there's been very little of it).
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 02-08-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Blog Entries

“I would say to you, of the other 52 players on the roster, how many of the other 52 [took less money]?” said Linta, who has argued Flacco should be the highest-paid quarterback in the league. “Do you work with [the Ravens] in terms of structure to help them out? Absolutely. But like I said, we all took risks. And I don’t think anybody was gonna feel sorry for Joe if he turned down a contract in July and didn’t have a great year and now was faced with less than what we’re talking about. Look, there’s risk on both sides, and somebody could be saying to the Ravens, ‘Hey, don’t you think it’s worth sacrificing some areas of your team to keep your franchise quarterback?’ There’s arguments on both sides, believe me.”

So the goal, as Linta explained it, is to “be creative with the contract to get what you want and structure so that it helps the Ravens and doesn’t put them in a bad place cap-wise.”

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    “I would say to you, of the other 52 players on the roster, how many of the other 52 [took less money]?” said Linta, who has argued Flacco should be the highest-paid quarterback in the league. “Do you work with [the Ravens] in terms of structure to help them out? Absolutely. But like I said, we all took risks. And I don’t think anybody was gonna feel sorry for Joe if he turned down a contract in July and didn’t have a great year and now was faced with less than what we’re talking about. Look, there’s risk on both sides, and somebody could be saying to the Ravens, ‘Hey, don’t you think it’s worth sacrificing some areas of your team to keep your franchise quarterback?’ There’s arguments on both sides, believe me.”

So the goal, as Linta explained it, is to “be creative with the contract to get what you want and structure so that it helps the Ravens and doesn’t put them in a bad place cap-wise.”
    LOL, yeah that was an earth-shattering piece "master of the obvious" journalism there from Florio, wasn't it?

As pretty much everyone has been saying, Flacco will get paid, but it can be done in a way to minimize it's impact on the Cap in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Because we weren't talking about $20M+ per year and those guys weren't going to be taking up 1/6th of the team's Salary Cap.

Not to mention that with Suggs and Ngata, the Salary Cap was actually HIGHER than it is now - and again, they weren't taking up such a huge percentage of the Cap.
    Are you saying that Ngata and Suggs combined did not take up 20% of the cap in 2012? If not, then how much did they take up?

Are you saying that Ngata and Suggs combined did not take up 20% of the cap in 2012? If not, then how much did they take up?
    Umm, no, that had nothing to do with what WE were talking about.

You said:

......where was this line of thinking when it came to Suggs, Ngata, Reed, Lewis, Rice, etc? To me, it's just way too hypocritical to lay it all on Joe, while all this other over spending went on without comment.......
    Note, you mentioned several players (Suggs, Ngata, Reed, Lewis, Rice, etc) and referred to when they were signed. I responded about "those guys" and the time that those contracts were signed.

Now, stop trying to move the goalposts.

I was just pointing out that the contracts for NONE of the players that you mentioned were/are anywhere as large as Flacco's and that the Cap was higher at the time that many of those deals were signed. So, there wasn't much/any complaining when those deals were signed (not that many are really complaining now) because their deals weren't of the size of Flacco's and didn't have as huge of an impact on the team's Cap as Flacco's will.

Great piece on National Football Post about the Cap implications of using either of the Franchise Tags:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...oe-Flacco.html

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Umm, no, that had nothing to do with what WE were talking about.

You said:

Note, you mentioned several players (Suggs, Ngata, Reed, Lewis, Rice, etc) and referred to when they were signed. I responded about "those guys" and the time that those contracts were signed.

Now, stop trying to move the goalposts.

I was just pointing out that the contracts for NONE of the players that you mentioned were/are anywhere as large as Flacco's and that the Cap was higher at the time that many of those deals were signed. So, there wasn't much/any complaining when those deals were signed (not that many are really complaining now) because their deals weren't of the size of Flacco's and didn't have as huge of an impact on the team's Cap as Flacco's will.
    Move the goalposts? Just answer the question. How much of the cap did Ngata and Suggs take up in 2012? What's the problem in answering a simple question, dude? Don't take it personally or anything. You're the cap expert, right?

Because to a non cap expert, it appears as if, heading into 2013, Suggs is taking up $13M, and Ngata is taking up $11.5M. So that's 24.5M. For 2 players, who aren't quarterbacks. Hmmmmmmmmm....
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 02-08-2013 at 11:41 PM.

iggyman555 Guest

Teams were contemplating a franchise-tag run at Flacco before the postseason

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...he-postseason/

Move the goalposts? Just answer the question. How much of the cap did Ngata and Suggs take up in 2012? What's the problem in answering a simple question, dude? Don't take it personally or anything. You're the cap expert, right?

Because to a non cap expert, it appears as if, heading into 2013, Suggs is taking up $13M, and Ngata is taking up $11.5M. So that's 24.5M. For 2 players, who aren't quarterbacks. Hmmmmmmmmm....
    I think you are correct... and what's your point? Yes, 2 of the very best defensive players in all of football compose 20% roughly of our cap. Where is the issue?