Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Amani Toomer bad mouthing Ray.

Who? Ohhhhhh THAT guy! lol. He's a nobody, wasn't relevant in his time and still not.

Above all this is just pathetic.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

What's an Amani Toomer?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I heard it on the way to the airport as well and it's not as bad as the OP makes it out to be.

He said you cannot simply talk about the nice things Ray has done if you talk about his career as a whole, including Atlanta. They went on to say that Ray himself talks about it openly and folks who talk who talk about his career should do the same. It was a very fair analysis.

Where he did sort of bash Ray was when he suggested the timing of Rays retirement announcement was suspect and self serving. That's about as bad as it got and a few callers called in to argue otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I heard it on the way to the airport as well and it's not as bad as the OP makes it out to be.

He said you cannot simply talk about the nice things Ray has done if you talk about his career as a whole, including Atlanta. They went on to say that Ray himself talks about it openly and folks who talk who talk about his career should do the same. It was a very fair analysis.

Where he did sort of bash Ray was when he suggested the timing of Rays retirement announcement was suspect and self serving. That's about as bad as it got and a few callers called in to argue otherwise.
    it could easily be viewed as "look at me I'm retiring" but I think there is a zero percent change that's what he intended by the timing of it. He intended it as way to get the players and fans pumped up after what's been quite a disappointing season on the field performance wise. He intended it to give us the push to get us over the top.

The exact same way pagano has timed his return to help his team. He could easily have held out til next season but its a boost to his players to see hi back and hopefully push them on.

Bet he didnt say the same about him.

Blog Entries

I hate when people bring up Atlanta. My brother in law is a federal agent and knows the Atlanta PD, among a lot of other big cities. Anyway, he said when it all went down, the D.A. was looking to make a name for himself, rather than serving the people of the city of Atlanta and justice. One fact has always remained, Ray never wielded a weapon. Yet he was arrested first. End of story.

Who is Amani Toomer?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I hate when people bring up Atlanta. My brother in law is a federal agent and knows the Atlanta PD, among a lot of other big cities. Anyway, he said when it all went down, the D.A. was looking to make a name for himself, rather than serving the people of the city of Atlanta and justice. One fact has always remained, Ray never wielded a weapon. Yet he was arrested first. End of story.
    Might want to read an old SI where they featured Ray. It was called "Gods Linebacker" I believe.

They interviewed the DA and the DA was very frank about the incident. Ray wasn't talking and was one of the few people who was known to have seen the fight. He was charged to compel his testimony and nothing more. After the trial, The DA was asked is he thought Ray committed the murders and he said bluntly that he did not. Even the victims relatives don't believe Ray killed anyone that night.

Ray was most certainly not a saint that night. Witnesses do have him fighting and he did, for a while, keep his mouth shut to protect his friends. He also tossed his clothing in a garbage dumpster on the way back to his hotel. All that said, he was candid about all of it in open court and since then.

Bringing it back around to the topic of the thread, I don't see why folks feel uncomfortable about that night. Ray talks about it all the time. The problem is the misinformation that's out there. Toomer didn't say anything inaccurate, just that if you're going to talk about Ray's career, a discussion about Atalanta is in order.

Blog Entries

Oh I understand the specifics, and you can chose to believe what is written in SI and quotes from a D.A. who is going to talk and say whatever he likes protecting his best interests. But the fact was, were it not for star power, notoriety, the people actually holding weapons would have been charged first, period. There was a clear bias as to who Ray was. You could argue it as maneuver to find the real killers, but the fact he went to Ray damaged any chance to actually prosecute the real murders. Their defense lawyers dream.

I am telling, my brother in law is bond, when he hears something it is the truth. I remember when I lived with him, he said intel said stay out of subways, they don't know where, what, or why, but just do it. I was doing a lot of work in DC at the time and I used to take the Metro in occasionally. I stopped. Two weeks later the London subway bombing happened. Wasn't the same place, but when he talks, I listen. I'm not buying a thing the Atlanta D.A. is selling.

DA's charge people all the time to compel testimony. It's pro forma in every prosecutors office.

While it's certainly possible this DA had star signs in his eyes, it can't be determined from an every day tactic out of his DA bag of tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    it could easily be viewed as "look at me I'm retiring" but I think there is a zero percent change that's what he intended by the timing of it. He intended it as way to get the players and fans pumped up after what's been quite a disappointing season on the field performance wise. He intended it to give us the push to get us over the top.

The exact same way pagano has timed his return to help his team. He could easily have held out til next season but its a boost to his players to see hi back and hopefully push them on.

Bet he didnt say the same about him.
    That's exactly why he held the announcement back.
    From what I understand and have heard on various reports is that he (Ray) and Harbaugh have known about this decision for quite some time, and have discussed numerous times as to when to announce it, and when it would be most beneficial to Ray and the team to return to the field.
    I think they knew they could get to the playoffs and wanted Ray to have as much healing time as possible before he put the injury at risk.
    It's also been reported that this is why Ray had such an escalated rehab to this injury because he and Harbaugh knew he was not returning next year, but wanted Ray to have the opportunity to take the field again and possibly be a contributor to a title run.

No way Ray wanted to end his career on IR or anything of that nature.

If this announcement wasn't made this week the way it was all the hype and media heads would be pumping up the Colts and their story with the Andrew Luck stuff and the Chuck Strong stuff with his story this year.

Certainly a great motivating story they have that needed to be curtailed to some extent.

This bombshell of Rays' did it for sure!!

I equate this to similar fashion to what Billick did in the Superbowl at media day to deflect what surely would have been a disgrace with the media trying to bring the team down by harping on the Atlanta incident rather then the team and its success to get there.

My opinion...

Well Played!!!!!
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

As many do, I believe Ray Lewis to be the greatest Linebacker ever to play the game. He was also a fury generator with the defensive team. On top of that, he is an excellent human being. He was unfortunate in that he chose to hang around the wrong guys down south. What he saw or did not see is a matter of conjecture. It's the same old shit from wannabes choosing to shoot down others to mask their own inferiorities. Love ya Ray, as a player and a human being.