View Poll Results: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • L.Williams

3 6.82%
  • Tandon Doss

15 34.09%
  • Tommy Streeter

1 2.27%
  • Jacoby Jones

24 54.55%
  • Other.

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Going into Mini camp and training camp, and with the recent addition of Jacoby Jones, formerly of the Houston Texans. The 2 players we had last season in L.Williams, and Tandon Doss, combined with our draft pick Tommy Streeter. I know we have the whole Suggs issue to deal with, but IMO the most intriguing question going into the 2012 NFL season is who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

My money is on Laquan Williams. I truly believe in this kid, he showed some playmaking ability last season, more than any other guy in that competition. He showed flashes of being capable of being a solid NFL receiver.

I will say this though, if they can somehow tap into Tommy Streeter's ability, and get him to be half as good as he could possibly be, he is definitely a sleeper, but i wouldn't' hold my breath.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

I chose Doss just for something to do. I really don't think #3 means anything for this team except if one of the starting two get injured. I am still amazed how we only really used two receivers last year. Minus a handfull of receptions from Evans and Laquan. So honestly it doesn't matter who is "three".

Blog Entries

As of May 2012, it has to be J. Jones (2 year contract for $7 million). He is a veteran presence, while Doss had zero catches in 2011. That doesn't mean it will carry over into September, but as of now please tell me who else fills the bill (?) ... Bc

Well I can say I am with Bleed in the case that I like Laquan. There is just something about the kid. He is a scrapper, a underdog, and never quits. He is the one I am hoping will shine the most and see the most reps. But I would be lying if I tried to say with any certainty who I thouhgt was gonna be in that spot on the depth chart. I am still a little confused by the Jones pickup. I understand the need for ST. The only thing I can think of is veteran depth and veteran competition at WR. So he does fill two roles on this team.

Hell, I have no clue what they are gonna do. LOL Guess we will just have to see how camp plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    As of May 2012, it has to be J. Jones (2 year contract for $7 million). He is a veteran presence, while Doss had zero catches in 2011. That doesn't mean it will carry over into September, but as of now please tell me who else fills the bill (?) ... Bc
    See i dont see it that way. I look at this signing as insurance, just in-case non of the other guys we have in store steps up. We expect good things from the guys we have, if they dont turn out like we expect, i look at Jones as a good insurance, he is a veteran while the others are unproven.

Laquan's career path is going to be similar to David Tyree.

Sorry, I don't know where some of you are seeing in him being a good WR. He didn't show it in college and IMHO, playing well in the 4th quarter in the preseason against secondaries full of guys with no shot of making their teams doesn't really show me much.

Tandon Doss & Jacoby Jones will split time in 3-WR sets. LaQuan Williams will see limited playing time on offense, just like last year. Streeter will be a gameday inactive every week barring injuries or on the very slim chance he adjusts immediately to the NFL.

I don't see the point in debating who the "#3" receiver is, since Doss and Jones probably see a near-equal amount of playing time at WR unless Doss either really blows everyone away or doesn't develop as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Sorry, I don't know where some of you are seeing in him being a good WR. He didn't show it in college and IMHO, playing well in the 4th quarter in the preseason against secondaries full of guys with no shot of making their teams doesn't really show me much.

I wasn't saying I thought he was a great receiver yet. I was simply saying that I like the guy as far as what I have seen of him and his work ethic. He had to work his tail off to make this team last year. Has also shown he can be dynamic at times. He just seems like the kinda guy that you pull for to do well. I just see him as the scrappy underdog that wont quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Not sure how you can just predict the future like that...

Williams showed more than Doss last season, but Doss seems to be the favorite. I'm just saying there's something about Williams, he has a chip on his shoulders, he will work hard, and he will do what he has to do. He is a lot more talented than people will give him credit for. He has enough speed, and enough of an NFL body to make an impact. Just dont sleep on the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by TtlPkg17 View Post
    I wasn't saying I thought he was a great receiver yet. I was simply saying that I like the guy as far as what I have seen of him and his work ethic. He had to work his tail off to make this team last year. Has also shown he can be dynamic at times. He just seems like the kinda guy that you pull for to do well. I just see him as the scrappy underdog that wont quit.
    I understand...and I like to see hard workers rewarded too. And considering his extreme...extreme lack of any production at the college level and the fact that he didn't get an invite to camp til late, I think he has been and will continue to be rewarded with a nice career if he continues to work hard and do a good job on special teams.

I definitely think he should make the team this year again...

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post

Williams showed more than Doss last season, but Doss seems to be the favorite. I'm just saying there's something about Williams, he has a chip on his shoulders, he will work hard, and he will do what he has to do. He is a lot more talented than people will give him credit for. He has enough speed, and enough of an NFL body to make an impact. Just dont sleep on the kid.
    Come on...we all project guys based on what we have seen. In fact, that is what this very thread is about.

Based on not only a lack of production in the NFL but virtually not contributing at all in college just doesn't bode well for his chances of being a quality WR. He doesn't have any special physical features either.

And like I just said, I dig the hard working/underdog/chip on their shoulder stories...I love the fact that he has worked hard AND that he is a kid that grew up here loving the Ravens and that this is a dream come true to him.

I just don't see 3rd WR skillset. It takes more than the underdog/hard working stuff the vast majority of the time.

That being said, I think he can be a hell of a special teams guy and there is nothing wrong with being a David Tyree type of guy/career.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I don't think LaQuan Williams looked to be anywhere near the caliber of receiver as Tandon Doss last season. The only reason LaQuan was chosen over Doss for the active roster was special teams play. LaQuan Williams is an above-average special teamer, and from what we all hear a great teammate and hard-worker, but he isn't now and probably won't ever be even an average WR.

I wasn't saying I thought he was a great receiver yet. I was simply saying that I like the guy as far as what I have seen of him and his work ethic. He had to work his tail off to make this team last year. Has also shown he can be dynamic at times. He just seems like the kinda guy that you pull for to do well. I just see him as the scrappy underdog that wont quit
    I love his work ethic and the way he handles himself publicly, as well, and I agree with your assessment that he is the kind of guy you pull for to do well. The thing I don't agree with is saying he looked dynamic at times. I've watched him since he was a Terp, and for all of the good things he does, being a dynamic playmaker is not one of them. He has a stiff stride, isn't a great leaper, isn't overly strong or physical, isn't super quick or agile, can't break many tackles, and has slightly above-average hands. I don't recall ever seeing him make a "wow" play. He can make tough catches in traffic and is good at picking the right hole on returns, but neither of those attributes make him dynamic to me.

You don't pay 7 million to a pure punt returner. Jacoby Jones will play on the outside in 3 WR sets, pushing Boldin to the slot.

Jacoby Jones is terrified of contact and is one of the least physical receivers in the league, but he can get vertical and that will probably be enough to get him a shot as a deep threat.