Blog Entries

Other coaches and players recall their memories of Ray

Drew Brees who had mixed results vs Ray's defenses says Ray will go down as one of the best ever.

Billick has some comments to as people around the league recall their memories of Ray.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...8.photogallery

Blog Entries

Re: Other coaches and players recall their memories of Ray

Most of these are kind've the same obvious statements, but I liked the anecdote from Billick about the Cleveland game in 2000 when, after expecting to take Doug Pederson to the woodshed, he drove 86 yards on us for a score to start the game, and before Billick can launch into his head coach speak, Ray Lewis says "I got this coach".

And then proceeded to destroy the Browns for the rest of the day.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Scally--
    Some pretty cool "stories" at that link, and I really like the one you cite by Billick. Speaks volumes to me about Lewis AND Billick.

That being said, here's one from LaDainian Tomlinson that I had trouble seeing on my PC screen. Perhaps there's a typo! ;)

'For retired San Diego Chargers and New York Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson, listening to Lewis bark out what play the offense was going to run was unnerving.

"You never could fool the guy," Tomlinson said. "I remember times I'm in the backfield and he's yelling out the play and I'm thinking, Holy cow, how in the heck does he know the play? So I came to the realization that there are times where Bill Belechik is going to get you. There's nothing you can do about it."'

:D

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Most of these are kind've the same obvious statements.
    This little nugget from Faulk isn't too "obvious" lol

"For me, playing against Ray, Ray has a unique ability to smash your head in and lift you up at the same time while he's trying to beat you down," Faulk said
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    This little nugget from Faulk isn't too "obvious" lol

"For me, playing against Ray, Ray has a unique ability to smash your head in and lift you up at the same time while he's trying to beat you down," Faulk said

I'm surprised no one mentioned Eddie George. The article descrbes the
    play where Ray cut his balls off and says that play propelled Ravens to
    the SB. They were both two of the hardest hitters from the same draft
    class.

Here he said he had to kick everyone out of the house to focus on Ray.
    ILMAO

Eddie finally got at least one of his balls back in the 03 playoffs when he ran thru an under-
    sized line and past Ray. We lost Goose and Sam Adams and Ray was injured that game. We lost it in the last min with an Eddie George run and pass by McNair.

That was one year after we gutted the Super Bowl team.

I remember that Cleveland game. Back then I used to sit with my Dad in 127, about the 44 yard line six rows behind the bench. Because it was down so low and often right behind the dolly for the sideline camera it wasn't so great for watching plays develop. But they were amazing seats for seeing the interaction on the bench that year, and I remember this incident specifically. Of course we couldn't hear what was said, but it was very obvious what had just happened.

That wasn't the only time Billick was intercepted on his way to chew someone out. Goose used to do it a lot, as did Woodson. And to Billick's credit, he learned pretty quickly that they did in fact have control of the situation. They were probably the best defense in NFL history, but they were absolutely the most disciplined defense in NFL history. Those guys did nothing special, no exotic blitz packages or complicated schemes. But everybody did their job and did it well on just about every single play. (Well, maybe except for that last Jets game.)