Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ravens agree to 1 year extension with Boller

Just got the text message from BR.com. Story is here:
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Commo....aspx?id=16742

The Ravens shored up their quarterback position into the 2008 season Thursday by signing Kyle Boller to a one-year extension, announced general manager Ozzie Newsome.

He will continue to back up starter Steve McNair, forming one of the most-steady tandems under center in the NFL.

“This is good news for us,” said head coach Brian Billick. “We have said all along how important Kyle is to this team, and this secures him for at least another season for us.”

Re: Ravens agree to 1 year extension with Boller

Good move. Alex Smith is not ready to move up and with McNair's history of injuries, its a good insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Good move. Alex Smith is not ready to move up and with McNair's history of injuries, its a good insurance policy.
    Wrong coast :D

So he signs a one year extension?

Yea, that really shows a long term commmittment.

He will be a backup again.

Hey T, where's that above market deal they had on the table?

PP

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisQ View Post
    Wrong coast :D
    hahahahahaha ..... oops .... one too many Lone Star's or I have my fantasy back up on my brain ... not sure which.

TROY Smith .... TROY, TROY, TROY ..... think I got it now.

Crazyraven, Purplepoe, and Tex just got acid indigestion big-time. LOL

Lets keep it civil Art.
    Last edited by paulie; 09-07-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    Crazyraven, Purplepoe, and Tex just got acid indigestion big-time. LOL
    Why me?

Im fine with him as a backup which is exactly what he will be.

I stated it in another thread that if he signed here it would show that he was content with being a backup.

According to some here, Boller probably had a nice multiyear deal on the table with incentives etc..... In reality, he had a one year deal on the table that he signed. Where's all the talk about how he'd easily land a deal in the offseason from another team. I mean, if he and his agent really thought that, then why did they sign a 1 year deal?

PP
    Last edited by paulie; 09-07-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I mean, if he and his agent really thought that, then why did they sign a 1 year deal?

PP
    ...Because he needed an extra year to sort through all of the phone calls and emails from teams offering Boller a starting job.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

Maybe the guy likes Baltimore. Maybe he thinks that in the next (2) years he will have ample time to show to the rest of the league what he is made of. Maybe he and hsi agent feel that Balitmore is a place he can and WILL be successful if given the opportunity, and feels that time spent will increase his future contract. There are a lot of reasons for him to sign the deal, the most obvious being that now he feels cofident that he will have at least 2 more super-million dollar years of salary.
    Why the team should/could and did sign him is even longer, and one of the tricky ones could be cap relief. ratcheting him back to vet min this year with a bonus could make a Suggs deal easier. Also, knowing htat going into next year you have an already signed McNair, a known cheap quantity at Backup, and another guy on the REAL cheap that can spend 2 years learnign the NFL game as a third QB. If they had not retained Boller, they would undoubtedly be spending more NEXT offseason for a #2, and maybe THAT is what worried them about re-signing Suggs.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Why me?

Im fine with him as a backup which is exactly what he will be.
    Tex ....excuse me: Poe: you should be a politician! This is the 1st time I recall you saying that you'd be fine with Boller anything....
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Money, Money and Money ...

Ever see him out in Fed Hill? He has the finest arm candy around and it takes lots of duckets to keep women like that around .... and that phat crib he has isnt cheap either.

I think this is a great move on the part of the Ravens. They probably have one of the better backups in the league. Byron Leftwich is no better than Kyle Boller. If he was so great, how come Jacksonville got rid of him.

I predict that Steve McNair will not play all 16 games and Kyle Boller will play in at least 2 games. He is still learning and he is only 26. I think the reason Kyle signed the contract was that a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.