Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

1. Eugene Monroe - Absolute top priority. Otherwise Ozzie just completely wasted a 4th and 5th round pick. Plus they have to protect their 120 million QB.

2. Daryl Smith - Daryl has almost made us forget about Ray Lewis. OK, not quite that. But he's been a great addition. The Ravens need strong presence in the middle.

3. Dennis Pitta - It's been ugly all year with no one in the middle. Plus they have to keep the 120 million QB happy.

4. Jacoby Jones - I originally had him second. They have no other playmakers. Then I remembered they have Deonte Thompson and Asa Jackson. If they lose Jacoby I'm thinking these guys may be able to do the job. Jacoby is a right price player.

We are in a tough spot.

Just a fan's view; no expert:

1) Eugene Monroe
    2) Daryl Smith
    3) Pitta

Cut, restructure, extend, SOMETHING with Suggs and Ngata. Neither is earning what they are being paid.

Losing Art Jones could REALLY hurt, because Ngata is declining and Canty is just OK. And if we lose Daryl Smith, we have little or no top quality at LB. Will Upshaw be another Cody?

In the draft:
    #1: WR or TE (depending on who is available)
    #2: OL
    #3 OL
    #4: best D player available (we need starter/depth help at every D position)
    #5: best D player available (we need starter/depth help at every D position)

Unless some of this year's draftees turn out to be starters next year, we could have more holes than Oz can fill in one year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple2127 View Post
    The more I think about it the more likely I see Suggs or Ngata getting cut. We need some money to play with...
    Nope. These guys have guaranteed contracts for the most part. Restructure maybe.

Blog Entries

That hip injury issue hurt Pitta's stock. I agree with Wicked that he shouldn't be all that expensive. Eugene Mornoe will be the first point of focus.

I doubt they keep Suggs at his cap number. My guy feeling is that they'll either push for him to sign team friendly extension, maybe for two more years, that lowers his cap figure for 2014, or they will indeed release him.

Daryl Smith is the one I think people will be surprised to see gone, especially after they see that he isn't offered that much on the open market. Again, he and Arthur Brown play the same role. As long as Smith is here, Brown will not be a starter.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    We are in a tough spot.

Just a fan's view; no expert:

1) Eugene Monroe
    2) Daryl Smith
    3) Pitta

Cut, restructure, extend, SOMETHING with Suggs and Ngata. Neither is earning what they are being paid.

Losing Art Jones could REALLY hurt, because Ngata is declining and Canty is just OK. And if we lose Daryl Smith, we have little or no top quality at LB. Will Upshaw be another Cody?

In the draft:
    #3 OL

Unless some of this year's draftees turn out to be starters next year, we could have more holes than Oz can fill in one year.
    I actually think Canty will end up being cut.

Good player, but not what they had hoped. Plus, Brandon Williams has played well when given the opportunity and Deangelo Tyson has done well this season.

i don't see why Pernell McPhee couldn't do what Canty has done this year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

1. Pitta- They have no one else on the team who can beat tight man to man coverage, and it's absolutely killed them on the goal line. Unless they're going to overhaul the entire receiving corp, they can't afford to lose Pitta.

2. Monroe- They need to get him re-signed after what they traded for him, but I worry that a LT premium is going to leave him very overpaid. It's not like he's lit the world on fire or anything.

3. Jacoby- I don't think he's back, though, and that's not a big deal.

4. Smith- I think he'll be back on another cheap deal, but if not I don't think he'll be that hard for them to replace just by plugging Arthur Brown in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    In the draft:
    #3 OL
    (1) I hate to pigeon hole our draft choices, as you have in picks #1 through #3.
    (2) The Ravens do not have 4th or 5th round picks due to the Eugene Monroe trade.
    ... Bc

Blog Entries

They are going to have to free up a ton of money to keep Monroe. I don't see it happening without franchising him.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I actually think Canty will end up being cut.

Good player, but not what they had hoped. Plus, Brandon Williams has played well when given the opportunity and Deangelo Tyson has done well this season.

i don't see why Pernell McPhee couldn't do what Canty has done this year.
    I have really liked Canty. There aren't a lot of stats to go on, and I don't focus on him every play, but he's definitely been a force on the line.

I think he's worth keeping. But it looks like we could save about $1MM in cutting him (factoring the cost of his replacement) and d-line is probably the deepest position on the team. If we really are hard against the cap, I could see this as an area to get a little room.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

I think Brandon Williams has been caught in a numbers crunch. I don't think it's an indictment of him. DeAngelo Tyson has just been playing well.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

11. Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    That hip injury issue hurt Pitta's stock. I agree with Wicked that he shouldn't be all that expensive. Eugene Mornoe will be the first point of focus.

I doubt they keep Suggs at his cap number. My guy feeling is that they'll either push for him to sign team friendly extension, maybe for two more years, that lowers his cap figure for 2014, or they will indeed release him.

Daryl Smith is the one I think people will be surprised to see gone, especially after they see that he isn't offered that much on the open market. Again, he and Arthur Brown play the same role. As long as Smith is here, Brown will not be a starter.
    I'm not sure how much money Jameel is making but wouldn't it make more sense to cut him?

12. Re: Who out of the big 4 free agents will be retained?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    (1) I hate to pigeon hole our draft choices, as you have in picks #1 through #3.
    (2) The Ravens do not have 4th or 5th round picks due to the Eugene Monroe trade.
    ... Bc
    That's true but I believe we'll be getting a nice amount of compensatory picks