Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

You think that we're being gutted?

The Patriots have just extended an offer sheet to Emmanual Sanders. The dollar amount is specified, but it has been disclosed as a one year. The Steelers will either lose him for a late 3rd rounder or have to shuffle around their roster some to match. They now only have one of their top 3 receivers left. This is on top of losing James Harrison, and the majority of their RB core.

Re: You think that we're being gutted?

I love Patriot on Steeler Crime. My understanding is the Steelers are about $2M under the cap. If they match the offer they may have to cut somebody else to sign rookies. If they don't match, then the Patriots lose a 3rd round draft pick in a draft where I think they only have 4 picks anyway. They gave up picks this year to for Heynesworth and Ocho Cinco.

If I am the Steelers I take the draft pick.

Blog Entries

I'd take the 3rd too and move on. They have cap problems as it is...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    I love Patriot on Steeler Crime. My understanding is the Steelers are about $2M under the cap. If they match the offer they may have to cut somebody else to sign rookies. If they don't match, then the Patriots lose a 3rd round draft pick in a draft where I think they only have 4 picks anyway. They gave up picks this year to for Heynesworth and Ocho Cinco.

If I am the Steelers I take the draft pick.
    The Patriots are about $1.5 million under now. The Patriots currently hold a very late 1st round pick, very late 2nd round pick, and two 7th rounders. I'd imagine that they will find some way to trade back their early picks, but either way, they don't have much ammunition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'd take the 3rd too and move on. They have cap problems as it is...
    The report from Werder is that it is only about 700k more (the offer) and the Steelers will keep him. Not worth a LATE 3rd rounder for 700k and your starting WR.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    The report from Werder is that it is only about 700k more (the offer) and the Steelers will keep him. Not worth a LATE 3rd rounder for 700k and your starting WR.
    won't he want a big contract at the end of the season? I'd rather have the 3rd for long term success than a one year deal. Plus he has trouble staying healthy.

He was a 3rd round pick to begin with... maybe I'm missing something

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
    The offer sheet that Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders signed is worth 2.5 million. Steelers choice: match or get NE's third-round pick by Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    The Patriots are about $1.5 million under now. The Patriots currently hold a very late 1st round pick, very late 2nd round pick, and two 7th rounders. I'd imagine that they will find some way to trade back their early picks, but either way, they don't have much ammunition.

They don't need much ammunition. Add another DB and they are in pretty good shape.

You should hear the crys in this city. " we need him, we need cap space, call Troy for a pay cut, poor brown, damn NE". It's funny as hell to watch and listen to sqeelers country ready to burn the barn down.

I for one hope he goes to NE, one least pick for them and one least WR for sqeelers. Now if we can only move up pass them for Austin

Whatever happens in 15 days please DO NOT LET the sqeelers get Austin

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
    The offer sheet that Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders signed is worth 2.5 million. Steelers choice: match or get NE's third-round pick by Sun.
    Okay, this is highly confusing.

#1- what type of stupid offer is a $2.5/1year RFA offer sheet?

#2- from the Steelers standpoint, this is a nobrainer. They aren't having to match a 5year-$25m contract. They are having to match a 1 year/2.5 contract. I'm guessing that Sanders was given a Round of Draft tender (hence the 3rd round pick), so matching the Patriots offer hurts their cap $1.2 million more. Not sure where the $700k estimate came from. The ROD tender (given to Dickson this year) is $1.3 approx., so this chews up $1.2 more in cap space.

#3- From the Patriots standpoint, this is headshakingly stupid....or brilliant. If you are going to potentially forfeit your 3rd rounder in order to get a player, why on earth would you do it just to offer someone a one year contract. The general upside of signing a RFA to an offer sheet is that you replace a potentially unknown commodity draft pick for four years (their rookie contract) with a more stable, proven veteran for at least four years.

#4- Perhaps this is a brilliant move by the Patriots after all. They knew that the Steelers would ABSOLUTELY 100% match such a small RFA offer to Sanders, given his talent and value at a very thin position. So, with little risk to actually truly forfeiting that 3rd round pick, they just forced the Steelers into using up another $1.2m in very limited cap space. If there was an organization to try something sneaky like this, it's definitely the Pats. The irony is that the Steelers made a mistake IMO by not giving Sanders a 2nd round tender to begin with, which opened the door for this happening in the first place. They were trying to be cheap and save a little money, but in the end they are going to have to pay more to Sanders ($2.5m) than they would have ($2.03) had they just slapped the 2nd round tender on him in the first place.

5) Did Dickson sign his tender yet? If not, I would encourage the NE front office to try this same move with him. :)

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Okay, this is highly confusing.

#1- what type of stupid offer is a $2.5/1year RFA offer sheet?

#2- from the Steelers standpoint, this is a nobrainer. They aren't having to match a 5year-$25m contract. They are having to match a 1 year/2.5 contract. I'm guessing that Sanders was given a Round of Draft tender (hence the 3rd round pick), so matching the Patriots offer hurts their cap $1.2 million more. Not sure where the $700k estimate came from. The ROD tender (given to Dickson this year) is $1.3 approx., so this chews up $1.2 more in cap space.

#3- From the Patriots standpoint, this is headshakingly stupid....or brilliant. If you are going to potentially forfeit your 3rd rounder in order to get a player, why on earth would you do it just to offer someone a one year contract. The general upside of signing a RFA to an offer sheet is that you replace a potentially unknown commodity draft pick for four years (their rookie contract) with a more stable, proven veteran for at least four years.

#4- Perhaps this is a brilliant move by the Patriots after all. They knew that the Steelers would ABSOLUTELY 100% match such a small RFA offer to Sanders, given his talent and value at a very thin position. So, with little risk to actually truly forfeiting that 3rd round pick, they just forced the Steelers into using up another $1.2m in very limited cap space. If there was an organization to try something sneaky like this, it's definitely the Pats. The irony is that the Steelers made a mistake IMO by not giving Sanders a 2nd round tender to begin with, which opened the door for this happening in the first place. They were trying to be cheap and save a little money, but in the end they are going to have to pay more to Sanders ($2.5m) than they would have ($2.03) had they just slapped the 2nd round tender on him in the first place.

5) Did Dickson sign his tender yet? If not, I would encourage the NE front office to try this same move with him. :)
    The word on the beat is that he Patriots likely have a long term deal ready to go with Sanders...that will lower his cap number from the $2.5 million cap hit if the Steelers don't match.

The only reason they did it this way is because its not too high of a cap hit for them to carry for a couple days/weeks while they hammer out the longer term deal, but it's high enough to make the Steelers have to make a tough philosophical decision.

The Steelers can match and probably lose him next year anyway while at best only receiving a low compensatory pick, or let him go a year early for a 3rd...but probably suffering a significant hole this year at WR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Good insight fellas, but either way, I'm laughing my ass off of this move. It's a sneaky move for sure, and that's what the sqeelers get. Sqeelers suck