Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could and Would

Blog Entries

Re: Could and Would

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    You're crazy. Haha. I don't think he's got a LT future. I think he's an inferior tackle to Oher, and I don't want to see Oher on the left side either.
    I honestly never believed Oher would become a LT in the NFL, you rarely get anyone under 6'5 in the NFL who make it as a LT. Reid has the prototype size and athleticism to become a LT in the NFL IMO. We don't know for sure if he's inferior to Oher or not, but I'm sure they will at least give him a few snaps at LT in the pre season games to see how he does out there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    I don't doubt you at all, but do you have link for what DeCosta said? I didn't hear that and I'd be curious to read it.
    I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything. In fact one of the things I found supports your position pretty strongly.

“I think we have players in every round that we like,” he said. “One of the things we try to do is ascertain the value, league-wise, and then look at our value, how we value players. And usually, there’s a match there for us.”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I honestly never believed Oher would become a LT in the NFL, you rarely get anyone under 6'5 in the NFL who make it as a LT. Reid has the prototype size and athleticism to become a LT in the NFL IMO. We don't know for sure if he's inferior to Oher or not, but I'm sure they will at least give him a few snaps at LT in the pre season games to see how he does out there.
    Regarding Oher, I always felt like since the Ravens drafted him to be a RT, that was going to be his best position. They wouldn't have drafted a guy that can play LT and stuck him on the right. They know more than me so I deferred to that opinion.

Regarding Reid, I hope he can turn into a top notch LT. I just don't think it will happen. For two reasons, 1) Not alot of LTs get taken that late in the draft. 2) The Ravens drafted him as a RT as well w the idea that Oher would be on the left out of neccesity.
    And everything I've read about the guy, suggests RT and not LT. But what do I know?

Based on how weak this draft is on first round talent yes. But, I'd make it a 1st for s 1st next year and a 3rd and 4th this year, doubt anyone would bite on that though.

Obviously, a J Lewis situation would be ideal. However, the pick would almost assuredly be lower than what we're giving up.

But I share your skepticism. I don't see a team desperate enough to get back into the top of the first round this year. But teams do dumb stuff so maybe it will present itself.
    I could see the Colts trying to get Fleener to go along with Luck. All depends how things shake out.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uoa11w

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    I could see the Colts trying to get Fleener to go along with Luck. All depends how things shake out.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uoa11w

Yeah, but you got to figure the Colts wouldn't be idiotic enough to give up their first next year. That's going to be an awfully high pick.

It would have to be a team like the Falcons were last year; a team that's pretty sure it's going to the playoffs and thinks it's maybe one player away from making some serious noise. A team like Houston or the Bengals (though I'd doubt they'd trade w/i the division); the Eagles perhaps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Based on how weak this draft is on first round talent yes. But, I'd make it a 1st for s 1st next year and a 3rd and 4th this year, doubt anyone would bite on that though.
    I'm not sure what the points system is for the Ravens pick, but I think it's typical to get that year's second and next year's first for a first rounder. However, at the very bottom of the round, and in a weak class, I kind of amended it to a third this year, because as much as I'd want to do this, that's the least I'd do it for I think.

We're going to find a place for Jah Reid I think. Im not sure where but at bear minimum I think he will be our top versatile back up. Especially if he can play guard.

I'm inclined to think that Oher is a RT as well and as such I think we will look to draft a LT. If Reid can play at LT I think thats just added surprise. I thought Gaither was going to be groomed for it, I have less faith in Reid but maybe he can do it.

Blog Entries

Jarred Gaither is actually an example TALENT WISE alone that you can find legit left tackles in later rounds. I would say Gaither is certainly at least a top 5 left tackle in the league, it's just a shame he's a lazy bum, I have a feeling that the Chargers are going to start finding that out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Jarred Gaither is actually an example TALENT WISE alone that you can find legit left tackles in later rounds. I would say Gaither is certainly at least a top 5 left tackle in the league, it's just a shame he's a lazy bum, I have a feeling that the Chargers are going to start finding that out.
    Yes and no. The only reason Gaither was available when he was was because he was a known dirtball. Reid doesn't have any of that kind of baggage.

Basically, unless a guy is a known degenerate like Gaither, you're not getting that kind of talent at LT outside of the first half of the first round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreLove View Post
    We're going to find a place for Jah Reid I think. Im not sure where but at bear minimum I think he will be our top versatile back up. Especially if he can play guard.

I'm inclined to think that Oher is a RT as well and as such I think we will look to draft a LT. If Reid can play at LT I think thats just added surprise. I thought Gaither was going to be groomed for it, I have less faith in Reid but maybe he can do it.
    I think we'll def find a place for Reid, if by place, you mean a spot on the 53 as a swing backup T/G. He's at least that.

However, I don't think he can play LT in this league w his athleticism. And I don't think he can play G in this league at his height. I think he is what he is: A RT. But we already have Oher there. Now maybe we let Oher walk after this year (I believe this is his walk year, yes?) and insert Reid.

But I think it's pretty clear that Reid is less of a T than Oher. I'll put it this way, if Reid could have played RT like Oher did his rookie year last year, then McKinnie probably wouldn't be here right now. They brought in McKinnie more because Reid wasn't ready than Oher can't handle the left side, and that's saying something, because I don't think Oher is a good fit on the left side. Now, maybe Reid develops better than Oher, that isn't out of the question, but it isn't something I'd bank on.

I think LT is going to have to come out of the draft, obviously. And that's part of where a trade like the one I'm proposing can help. If we have somebody else's 1st rounder next year, it could be middle of the pack, instead of 25 and higher like ours always are. We can't get a top flight LT prospect at 29 but we could at 14. And with the possibility of packing the two #1s together, we could really move up and get a top prospect.

Blog Entries

The Steelers GM said they have 10ish players w a 1st round grade. DeCosta said something similar recently. Not all drafts are created equally. They could very well be there at 29 and HAVE to take somebody that they don't grade out as a first rounder, that's more likely imo than them being able to find a willing partner for my proposed trade.
    Bill Polian said it was 10 to 12. Usually there are 20 to 22. Everyone is going to want to trade down and no one is going to be able to do it.