Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wink Re: Ravens Sign New QB?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I gotta think at least one QB is shaking loose in TB this weekend:

Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Josh Johnson (draft pick from this year), Luke McCown...Although they could just cut McCown and keep 4, but I'm hoping they cut at least one of Simms or Griese (would be Garcia, but he's definitley the starter there).
    I don't know about Johnson, but any of the others would be better -- much better -- than the guys we have left.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Ravens Sign New QB?

I really don't get the over-reaction from fans this season. Temper your expectations people!

Casey Bramlett isn't being brought in because anyone in the organization thinks he's the savior of the franchise. They've already committed to that rationale to Joe Flacco by way of the investment they've made in him.

It's crystal-clear. Bramlett is the emergency replacement for Flacco, because Troy Smith won't play tonight, and Mark Clayton taking any reps at all is embarrassing. Just because they brought in a street free-agent familiar with Cam Cameron's offense for precautionary reasons doesn't mean they don't know what they are up against. If he hangs around, I don't expect it will be for long. Then again, I could be wrong. But I have faith that the Ravens have a vision for how this season and the future unfolds.

I'm a HUGE Daunte Culpepper fan. I think he's gotten more unnecessary flack from analysts and fans over the last few years than he's deserved. People forget, Culpepper played for two teams (Miami and Oakland) that were flat our HORRIBLE during his tenure there - far less talent than even the Ravens pathetic offenses in that span. No talent, no coaching, no real chance to succeed, and not even a great deal of opportunities. Not to mention he rushed back from one of the worst knee-injuries we've seen recently in the NFL.

I think this organization would have been much better off today had they chosen to pursue Culpepper over Steve McNair, and I said that two years ago. Culpepper sucked without Randy Moss? Maybe. Randy Moss made Tom Brady a lot better statistical quarterback too. Daunte was a MVP candidate and Peyton Manning's statistical equal for a consistent period during his best years in Minnesota. To discount his success there is confusing. He's not a perfect player, but by miles he would have been the best quarterback in Ravens franchise history, and at just 31, still might be if he showed up today.

That said, he doesn't fit here. This is a rebuilding franchise, whether or not any of us would like to accept it. The Ravens don't need wins, they need development. They won't tell you that, but it's the truth. Sure, they want to win all 16 this year. You play to win.

But more than that, they need to get young players minutes. Guys like Flacco, Ray Rice, Oneil Cousins, Marshall Yanda, Tavares Gooden, Antwan Barnes, Tom Zbikowski and Derrick Martin. They need to play. They need to learn on the job. They need to give us an indication of whether or not they are to be relied on as we try to rebuild this ship as quickly as possible.

If I was running the Ravens, I'd wait out the next round of cuts and see what young players are let go, relegated to the practice squad, or made available for trade. A couple of players that intrigue me are:

Josh Johnson QB Tampa Bay

Johnson has terrific athleticism, but might be caught up in a numbers game in Tampa. While I'd be somewhat surprised to see him released, Tampa might try to stash him away on the practice squad. Unlikely, but still worth keeping an eye on. Simms is obviously an option as well.

Matt Flynn QB Green Bay

A personal favorite of mine, Flynn might be available for trade in my opinion. After all, the team is committed to Aaron Rodgers this season, and invested as second round pick in Brian Brohm this year. If the Ravens like Flynn as much as I do, they'd be willing to offer a 5th round pick for a young quarterback who can develop and has upside mixed with a proven track record of success. They may not, but I would.

Quinn Gray QB Indianapolis

Gray brings a solid mix of youth, athleticism, and experience to the table, which is appealing for a team with an inexperienced offensive line and even less game experience at the quarterback position. I don't see him making the Colts roster at this point, and he might be a solid option at minimal cost.

Brooks Bollinger QB Minnesota

Likely to be the odd man out in Minnesota, Bollinger has decent amount of NFL game experience, is smart, accurate, and reliable. He's not the quarterback of the future, but certainly an upgrade over Kyle Boller or Casey Bramlett. And again, he's likely to be free. I always thought Brooks was underrated.

Let's face it - the Ravens wouldn't have assembled a roster of quarterbacks containing a combined two starts for two players and a failed 40 starts for the other unless they felt the same way I do. The latter shouldn't be on the roster, but the extension he was given hamstrung the team, and this injury might be an unfortunate blessing in disguise.

They knew this wasn't going to be the year they made a run. Instead, they'll get their promising YOUNG players time, and see what they can do. Finally, I think they realize they have to solve the quarterback issue once and for all if they are ever going to be consistently competitive like the Colts and Patriots have been.

We'll see where it goes.

Extra Point your post was a breath of fresh air. I agree with pretty much everything you said.

The biggest point you made was that we are a rebuilding franchise. I think as soon as us fans realize that and stop looking for quick fixes this season the better off we'll be.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Good points Extra. I have been beating the Daunte drum, but wanted him to start traing camp here. At this point, I would be willing to wait and see who hits the wire before commiting to him or anyone.

I really wanted to draft Josh Johnson in the 5th round but Gruden grabbed him even thoughhe had like 8qbs on the roster at the time. I think he will be among TBs top 53, but that should mean 2 more vets hit the street.

I still think Daunte is the best short term option, and looking at the rest of the division and schedule, I think we can win with decent Qb play.

The rebuiling has already started, but until we are actually out of contention and the veterans have been pushed out the door, we should be playing them and trying to win now, in my opinion, even if it means more rebuilding next year.

I see this roster as in the last 2 years of the left over SB players window, and Gregg, Pryce and Rolle, Heap, Mason, even Ed Reed, Bart Scott and T Sizzle, I can all see walking in 2 years. There should be enough good young players left like Nagta, Grubbs, Brown, Landry and so on to rebuild quickly, but right now I see it more as a reloading situation than a rebuild. We definitly need a little more ammo, but there is still time to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I still think Daunte is the best short term option, and looking at the rest of the division and schedule, I think we can win with decent Qb play.

The rebuiling has already started, but until we are actually out of contention and the veterans have been pushed out the door, we should be playing them and trying to win now, in my opinion, even if it means more rebuilding next year.
    So your willing to be worst off in the future with more rebuilding to win now. If you haven't notice the rebuilding show've started 2 seasons ago. But we went for the quick fix in McNair. Yeah we got to the playoffs but it was bitter sweet, followed by a miserable season.

If we got Dante like you want and somehow made the playoffs how do you think we would fare against NE or the Colts in the post season?
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

TEP is mostly on point, except that Boller is the best QB we have a legitimate chance of havoing on our roster at any point this year. brooks Bollinger is not an upgrade, Quinn Gray is not an upgrade, Cleo Lemon would not be an upgrade, and his injury is NOT a blessing in disguise.

That said, you were right abotu Bramlet, I cannot see him lasting past week 6, and that would be if Boller was a Pup candidate with a legitimate chance of returning. Otherwise, he may be here until Troy can play again, only to be replaced by someone with more experience that needs to learn the system, or John Beck if he shakes loose. I don't think that Josh Johnson or Matt Flynn would really fit in here.

Some of this stuff trips me out.
    This dude Bramlett is being brought in here either to be the emergency backup and/or to be the 3rd QB on the roster.
    He could just be a stop gap until this saturday after other cuts are made, and we look for a better option.
    They ain't saying so, but if Boller needs surgery at anytime, then IMO he is done for the year.
    The fact remains is he does need surgery, just isn't needed right away.
    At minimum he'll be pup for 6 weeks.
    I personally think he'll eventually be put on IR to open up the roster spot.
    (Probably sooner rather then later)

I don't understand everbodys hard on for Culpepper.
    He hasn't really done squat since Moss went away, and our receiving corp is probably just as bad if not worse then what he has played with since him and Moss split apart.

He also views himself as a starter and does not want to be on a team as a backup.
    From my understanding that is why he is not a Steeler right now.
    He apparently had a nice workout for them, but wanted a chance to compete for the starting gig against Rothlisberger.
    That just wasn't gonna happen.

Our current situation here is more of a rebuilding mode whether people(including the F.O.) wants to admit it or not.
    If you were to bring Culpepper in here it would take him several weeks to get the system, playbook and everything else under wraps to have any shot of having some level of success.
    Particurally behind the O-line we're struttin' out there right now.

I have no idea what kind of $$ Culpepper is looking for or contract length, but Flacco is obviously gonna be the starter here next year which would rule out Culpepper being the starter next year as well.

If Culpepper was alright as coming in as a backup, I'd say he would definitely be worth a look, and probably the best bet out of what is, and will be available after saturday, but being a backup apparently is not within Culpeppers thought train.

I think they are more looking at John Beck to come in since he was one of Cams boys and knows the system.
    I suspect Boller is done in Baltimore all together, and Beck might be an option to be a longer term backup to Flacco down the road here as we go.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

TEP is mostly on point, except that Boller is the best QB we have a legitimate chance of havoing on our roster at any point this year. brooks Bollinger is not an upgrade, Quinn Gray is not an upgrade, Cleo Lemon would not be an upgrade, and his injury is NOT a blessing in disguise.
    Without turning this into a Kyle Boller debate (I've been overly patient with Kyle frankly, having reserved judgment until last season really), I think I should explain my thoughts a bit:

At this point, I don't see Kyle's value to the team, and have felt since the end of last season that he didn't belong on the roster. He's neither a reliable starter/backup, nor a promising young player. At this point in his career, he has solidified himself as a quarterback with a rating roughly in the 70's, who turns the ball over as much as he leads his team to scores. Perhaps that type of player has value in this league, but to the Ravens, they can get that production out of Vinny Testaverde today, at age 66, if they choose to.

The Ravens didn't trade for Steve McNair because they thought Kyle was good enough. They traded for him for the opposite reason - Kyle wasn't good enough for this team to win a championship, not then. And now, having drafted Joe Flacco, they are essentially saying the same - Kyle isn't good enough. It's nothing personal, but it's a business, and Kyle's play has hurt this franchise immeasurably. Not for lack of effort, of course. As Bill Parcells once said, you are what you are in this league. Kyle is a gifted physical specimen with limited football and quarterbacking instincts.

I call this a blessing in disguise because I have long felt that it's a waste of Kyle's time and ours for him to be in Baltimore. Instead, I rather see the Ravens commit his spot to a young player who hasn't gotten a chance to see the field. Guys like Johnson, Simms, Flynn, Gray, and Bollinger, while certainly not proven commodities, also haven't had the luxury of 40 starts from which to learn, grow, and improve. Kyle's value to the team last year was his knowledge of Brian Billick's system - that earned him the "reliable back-up" tag, not neccessarily his production. Without that knowledge base, he brings very little to the roster as far as I'm concerned.

I like Kyle. He's a hard working, tough kid who has done everything you could possibly ask of a person off the field. I want nothing more than for him to succeed. But as even John Harbaugh has readily acknowledged, he is what he is at this point in his career.

I rather dedicate his roster spot to someone that COULD emerge, rather than a player like Kyle that most likely has reached his ceiling.

Again, if you are rebuilding as I believe we are, I think you want to get as much young, promising talent in here as possible. Make the most of those ever so valuable roster spots.

almost everybody in the NFL has at least 4 qbs in camp, if not more. Recently we had Drew Olson and Cullen Finnerty (anyone know if they're still around?. I guess the mgt figured JFlacc was The Future and TSmith and KBol were adequate reserves. how often do 2/3 players get hurt this early? maybe it's the new coaching, but sure a lot of injuries this year.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Some of this stuff trips me out.
    This dude Bramlett is being brought in here either to be the emergency backup and/or to be the 3rd QB on the roster.
    He could just be a stop gap until this saturday after other cuts are made, and we look for a better option.
    They ain't saying so, but if Boller needs surgery at anytime, then IMO he is done for the year.
    The fact remains is he does need surgery, just isn't needed right away.
    At minimum he'll be pup for 6 weeks.
    I personally think he'll eventually be put on IR to open up the roster spot.
    (Probably sooner rather then later)

I don't understand everbodys hard on for Culpepper.
    He hasn't really done squat since Moss went away, and our receiving corp is probably just as bad if not worse then what he has played with since him and Moss split apart.

He also views himself as a starter and does not want to be on a team as a backup.
    From my understanding that is why he is not a Steeler right now.
    He apparently had a nice workout for them, but wanted a chance to compete for the starting gig against Rothlisberger.
    That just wasn't gonna happen.

Our current situation here is more of a rebuilding mode whether people(including the F.O.) wants to admit it or not.
    If you were to bring Culpepper in here it would take him several weeks to get the system, playbook and everything else under wraps to have any shot of having some level of success.
    Particurally behind the O-line we're struttin' out there right now.

I have no idea what kind of $$ Culpepper is looking for or contract length, but Flacco is obviously gonna be the starter here next year which would rule out Culpepper being the starter next year as well.

If Culpepper was alright as coming in as a backup, I'd say he would definitely be worth a look, and probably the best bet out of what is, and will be available after saturday, but being a backup apparently is not within Culpeppers thought train.

I think they are more looking at John Beck to come in since he was one of Cams boys and knows the system.
    I suspect Boller is done in Baltimore all together, and Beck might be an option to be a longer term backup to Flacco down the road here as we go.
    I can't understand how anyone is putting all these words in his mouth with no direct quotes. How do you know he turned down any deals? For all we know GB and Pittsburgh just used him to get a better deal on the player they did want.

How do you know what he is willing to play for? Wat if he were to sign a no bonus vet minimum contract that only escalated with playing time and wins? How could any Raven fan be against that? All reward, no risk.

I doubt he will be anywhere close to what he was in 2004, but how can he be worse than he was in Oak or Miami? His Qb rating was in the 70s not the 40s and he was on terrible teams and coming off a major knee injury. If he would be willing to take little money and even allow us to pick up another waiver wire Qb in the proccess, how can any fan be against that regardless of how you see the Ravens, rebuiding or reloading, condending or pretending?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

That said, you were right abotu Bramlet, I cannot see him lasting past week 6, and that would be if Boller was a Pup candidate with a legitimate chance of returning. Otherwise, he may be here until Troy can play again, only to be replaced by someone with more experience that needs to learn the system, or John Beck if he shakes loose. I don't think that Josh Johnson or Matt Flynn would really fit in here.
    Boller cannot be placed on the PUP.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Boller cannot be placed on the PUP.

PP
    What is the deal with the PUP list? I read a bunch of Steeler fans talking about putting Batch on the PUP list so they did not risk loosing him for the year or Dixon to the practice squad snatchers.