Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ray Rice as slot receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I'm not as enthused by this idea as some of you. I'm fine with motioning him out to receiver from time-to-time, but the bulk of his receiving production seems to come when he lines up in the backfield and then sneaks out for a dump off. In this scenario he usually has space to turn and make the first guy miss.

Running routes from the line of scrimmage he's going to be in and amongst the defense as he catches the ball, and many time he'd just get tackled before he can turn up field. Not to mention that his height is a liability if your asking him to run pass patterns into the defense.

I'm not saying it can't work. I just think he's better suited for the dump offs out of the backfield.
    See the Giants game. Rice ran a designed angle route and scored a TD. Most LB's can't stay with Rice in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Can we move Webb to safety too?
    Jimmy Smith too.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    Jimmy Smith too.
    Maybe we should just field 11 safeties on D...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I really want to see shotgun formations with Rice on one side and KJ on the other.

Good call, i liked this package with Rice and Pitta, now with Pitta taking more slot responsibilities i would love to see Rice and Juice in the backfield. Because of what Juice can do as a blocker and receiver it makes the threat of run and pass equally as dangerous. I really think Juice can be an under the radar weapon, could look up at the end of the year and he may have 40 catches and a handful of TD's

As far as Rice as a receiver i think they should continue to use him like they have, split him out at times and get him matched on a LB. Rather let the young WR's we have get the opportunity to try to emerge then having Rice matched up against a nickel corner or safety.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Nope, don't remember that at all.

I do remember something similar that happened with 1:57 left in the 4th quarter to set up Tucker's game-tying FG. The team still had to stop the Bolts a couple of times before he could kick the game-winning FG about 20 minutes later, with 1:07 left in OT.

How soon the mists of misremembrance cloud our minds...
    Yep. Just like the F-bomb to Jacoby in Denver will soon be remembered as the game winning TD pass.

Honestly I am all for moving Rice to slot receiver, permenently. I've always said he was a far better pass catcher than running back, because as a back he very rarely makes something out of nothing. He takes what the line gives him, nothing more. But, he is by far the best receiver out of the backfield, and I think playing from the slot he could have a Welker like impact. Only difference being Rice can actually catch the ball.

Now do I think/expect it to happen? No. But it would be the way to get the most out of both him and Pierce, who is a much better pure runner

I think you're on the right track. And guys, this is NOT comparable to moving Webb to safety. Come on. Unless the OP is advocating for a FT move to WR for Rice, which would be foolish and unrealistic, IMO.

I mentioned wanting to see something like this last year. What I'd like to see is some packages and sets where Rice and Pierce are both in the game. There are so many possibilities there. You can hand off to one of them, put one of them in motion (perhaps into the slot, hint hint), and force the defense's hand. Rice in motion to the slot could definitely create a coverage mismatch and provide an opportunity to get him the ball in space. For that matter, Pierce is good at catching passes as well. But that's where I'd like to see them go, being more creative with their sets/packages.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

BTW - my comment on wanting to see gun formations with Rice on one side and KJ on the other...I meant the two of them in the backfield on either side of Joe.

Torrey____________McKinnie_KO_Gino_Yanda_Oher______________________Doss/Jacoby
    ________________________________________________Pitta

__________________KJ_________Joe_________Rice

Put Rice on the strong side, which gives his more blockers in case they go to Rice on that side.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

He caught a huge 4th down pass over the middle vs Pitt a few years ago that kept us in the game late on (I think it was the game we won in OT after Dennis Dixon -- then of the Steelers -- threw a pick to Kruger). IIRC on that play he lined up in the slot after a timeout, but he may have motioned over there; it's been a while.

Anyway, he is well suited to the role as an occasional wrinkle to the offense.

I think we'll see more of it this year, but as a full time proposition -- like an actual position switch -- that won't happen. He's too good a RB, and he's really too small to play even as a slot WR with regularity. Speed wise he's no Tavon Austin or Percy Harvin. More like a Welker -- still pretty fast, but not high-end speed. Having said all that, certainly if Caldwell wanted to, he could set up crossing routes with rub/picks to get Rice a clean look at the ball, and he would excel in that sort of offense.

BTW - my comment on wanting to see gun formations with Rice on one side and KJ on the other...I meant the two of them in the backfield on either side of Joe.

Torrey____________McKinnie_KO_Gino_Yanda_Oher______________________Doss/Jacoby
    ________________________________________________Pitta

__________________KJ_________Joe_________Rice

Put Rice on the strong side, which gives his more blockers in case they go to Rice on that side.
    Rather see Pierce in the backfield and Rice in the slot. Rice and Pierce are both much better than the 4th round pick who seems to be getting overrated at a high pace.

Blog Entries

Thanks for clarifying that. Great idea. BTW, I sent a reply to your PM.

I thought they were gonna move Webb to Safety when they released Reed.
    Remember 3d and 19 a few years ago in Pissburgh.

Yup, both Ray and Jacoby are rememberd for winning those games both
    late and Jacoby's very, very, late in regulation time.

Great posts everyone - even the joke.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    See the Giants game. Rice ran a designed angle route and scored a TD. Most LB's can't stay with Rice in coverage.
    That's one play. I acknowledge he can have success in that role from time-to-time, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    he is well suited to the role as an occasional wrinkle to the offense.
    This is pretty much how I feel about it. I think he will generally be more productive slipping out of the backfield. He also give our offense more flexibility there, since he's also a threat to run.

Blog Entries

I really want to see shotgun formations with Rice on one side and KJ on the other.
    Yes please. I want to see all kinds of crazy formations so opposing defenses have no clue who is getting the rock.