Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pollard fined $15,250

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,5881233.story

I forgot about that hit...

Ravens strong safety Bernard Pollard has been fined $15,250 for unnecessary roughness by the NFL, according to a league spokesman.

Pollard was fined for striking an opponent in the head and neck area.

Specifically, Pollard was penalized in the third quarter of the AFC championship for his personal foul when he hit New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker.

The Ravens won the game, 28-13, to advance to the Super Bowl. Pollard delivered another big hit in the fourth quarter when he unloaded on running back Stevan Ridley, forcing a fumble that led to the Ravens' final touchdown of the game.

Earlier Friday, Pollard had said he hadn't been fined by the league office.

Pollard had lobbied openly for the NFL to fine Patriots star quarterback Tom Brady for his kick slide where he hit Ravens free safety Ed Reed in the leg with his right foot. Brady was fined $10,000 by the league. He has apologized to Reed.

awilson@baltsun.com

Blog Entries

Re: Pollard fined $15,250

So he openly campaigns for brady to be fined, they fine him less than wearing your socks wrong and then they fine pollard 150% for a hit i cant even remember at the moment. I guess we can all feel better that justice has been served.
    -JAB

cue the bullshit chant

ohhh-
    I just re-read it.
    I thought he was fined for the Ridley hit...
    I dont remember this hit!

Bullshit!

I think all of the h2h hits called against the Ravens in that game were pure BS.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    So he openly campaigns for brady to be fined, they fine him less than wearing your socks wrong and then they fine pollard 150% for a hit i cant even remember at the moment. I guess we can all feel better that justice has been served.
    Pollard rocked Welker on that play and the flag came out immediately. Helmets did hit, but it was one of those "looks worse than it actually was" kind of things. I remember Pollard going nuts when the flag came out,but I can see why the official called it (not that I agree).

Gore was fined more than Brady because he was a repeat offender for willfully violating the uniform policy. Like them or not, those policies are clear, so I don't feel badly for Gore at all. It's not a "heat of the moment" action that resulted in his fine.

Now Ray Lewis' hit on Hernandez getting flagged was complete crap, so I hope he didn't get fined. Hernandez ducked down and put his head into the strike area, so where else was Ray's blow going to go but to the head. The NFL really needs to look at that and make adjustments to the rule. Clearly Hernandez initiated that head strike by his actions. The offense can pick up 15 yards on a regular basis just by doing what Hernandez did.

The fining and flags are inconsistent and ridiculious. Now, I know the players make millons but I'd think it would be funny and send a message if there were collection jars at M&t for the fans to put a buck or two into them to cover Raven bills from excellent but likely fined plays. Would be a sign of solidarity btwn the players and fans.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,5881233.story

I forgot about that hit...

Ravens strong safety Bernard Pollard has been fined $15,250 for unnecessary roughness by the NFL, according to a league spokesman.

Pollard was fined for striking an opponent in the head and neck area.

Specifically, Pollard was penalized in the third quarter of the AFC championship for his personal foul when he hit New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker.

The Ravens won the game, 28-13, to advance to the Super Bowl. Pollard delivered another big hit in the fourth quarter when he unloaded on running back Stevan Ridley, forcing a fumble that led to the Ravens' final touchdown of the game.

Earlier Friday, Pollard had said he hadn't been fined by the league office.

Pollard had lobbied openly for the NFL to fine Patriots star quarterback Tom Brady for his kick slide where he hit Ravens free safety Ed Reed in the leg with his right foot. Brady was fined $10,000 by the league. He has apologized to Reed.

awilson@baltsun.com

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Just to be clear, Bernard Pollard told myself and other reporters earlier he wasn't fined. The league later indicated he was fined $15,250.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Just to be clear, Bernard Pollard told myself and other reporters earlier he wasn't fined. The league later indicated he was fined $15,250.
    Did he not know?
    I can't see that there would be a benefit to trying to hide the truth in this day and age...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post

Did he not know?
    I can't see that there would be a benefit to trying to hide the truth in this day and age...
    Maybe he is appealing it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil11 View Post
    The fining and flags are inconsistent and ridiculious. Now, I know the players make millons but I'd think it would be funny and send a message if there were collection jars at M&t for the fans to put a buck or two into them to cover Raven bills from excellent but likely fined plays. Would be a sign of solidarity btwn the players and fans.
    we already pay their fines and all their other bills for that matter. they can afford to pay a $15K fine