Trade Deadline - Why I think the A's and Tigers messed up and Orioles didn't

I've often wondered why teams trade for a starting pitcher at the trade deadline. The starter will probably get about 10 to 12 starts depending on when the trade is made. If you are a winning ballclub you are winning 50 - 60 percent of your games. Therefore you're probably going to win 5 - 7 of the games the new starter pitches anyway. My belief is that this better starter will get you 2 extra wins in those final two months if he is effective.

What makes Detroit and Oakland's trades so much worse this year is that they both gave up everyday, starting position players to get those pitchers who will pitch once every 5 days or so. These guys may have helped you win a couple of games with their bats, so without them they negate the 2 extra wins the starters will give you. For me, that is not a good trade value.

Now, contrast that with what the Orioles did. They traded for a relief pitcher, who could pitch 3 - 4 times per week if need be. He is involved in more games for the rest of the season. Also, they gave up a prospect, not an everyday player in the trade. I just think this was a smarter move.

Re: Trade Deadline - Why I think the A's and Tigers messed up and Orioles didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulahoo View Post
    I've often wondered why teams trade for a starting pitcher at the trade deadline. The starter will probably get about 10 to 12 starts depending on when the trade is made. If you are a winning ballclub you are winning 50 - 60 percent of your games. Therefore you're probably going to win 5 - 7 of the games the new starter pitches anyway. My belief is that this better starter will get you 2 extra wins in those final two months if he is effective.

What makes Detroit and Oakland's trades so much worse this year is that they both gave up everyday, starting position players to get those pitchers who will pitch once every 5 days or so. These guys may have helped you win a couple of games with their bats, so without them they negate the 2 extra wins the starters will give you. For me, that is not a good trade value.

Now, contrast that with what the Orioles did. They traded for a relief pitcher, who could pitch 3 - 4 times per week if need be. He is involved in more games for the rest of the season. Also, they gave up a prospect, not an everyday player in the trade. I just think this was a smarter move.
    I think both Detroit and Oakland were looking towards the playoffs rather than the regular season because in today's baseball, pitching is usually the deciding factor in the post-season. As it turns out, both may have looked too far ahead for their own good.

Re: Trade Deadline - Why I think the A's and Tigers messed up and Orioles didn't

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    I think both Detroit and Oakland were looking towards the playoffs rather than the regular season because in today's baseball, pitching is usually the deciding factor in the post-season. As it turns out, both may have looked too far ahead for their own good.
    I'm looking for the Orioles to confound the pundits this year and prove you just may not need an ace in the traditional sense of the word to win in the playoffs. They have played against many "ace-type" pitchers since the all star break and won. Why can't that translate into the playoffs? (rhetorical question)

As far as the A's and Tigers, I was under the impression they already had their needed pitching. What do Price and Lester give them in the playoffs that they didn't already have? Detroit could certainly get away with not needing Price prior to the trade, same with the A's. The one thing that would make sense is if they were doing it for protection from injury as we've seen happen to the Angels ace.

Blog Entries

Getting Miller gave them a lefty relief pitcher which they needed plus
    he is really good. So now they have a righty and a lefty but in the off season they could lose Miller and Cruz as FAs.

Not sure Petey will pony up what it will take to get them. Cruz was
    a steal at $8M for 1 yr I think it is after what happened to him.

Just don't know if Os will spend like the Ravens do every year to keep
    the guys they need and want.