Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Patriots D

Re: Patriots D

The Patriots biggest strength on defense is their huge turnover margin. If they only get half those turnovers, they are probably not in the playoffs. I suspect that the reason they have such a big number is that Brady & Co. put tremendous pressure on offenses to keep up and in doing so, the other team takes chances and provides the opportunity for turnovers (they had 23 INTs on the year).

If Brady can hang 40+ points on the Ravens defense, it doesn't matter what the Ravens offense does and you just tip your hat to them and move on to next season.

I don't think that is going to happen (I would be very disappointed if it did). A more realistic scenario is that the Patriots score in the 25-30 point range. If the Ravens execute their offense (exploit the match up wins that are available, don't turn the ball over, catch the balls thrown to them), they have a chance to outscore the Patriots, imo.

This game is all on Cameron, Flacco, the offensive line, etc....preparation and execution.

Agree. Also if Brady is protected back there it will be a long day for the Ravens. In the past the Ravens have gotten too him sometimes more effectively than other times.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    The Patriots biggest strength on defense is their huge turnover margin. If they only get half those turnovers, they are probably not in the playoffs. I suspect that the reason they have such a big number is that Brady & Co. put tremendous pressure on offenses to keep up and in doing so, the other team takes chances and provides the opportunity for turnovers (they had 23 INTs on the year).

If Brady can hang 40+ points on the Ravens defense, it doesn't matter what the Ravens offense does and you just tip your hat to them and move on to next season.

I don't think that is going to happen (I would be very disappointed if it did). A more realistic scenario is that the Patriots score in the 25-30 point range. If the Ravens execute their offense (exploit the match up wins that are available, don't turn the ball over, catch the balls thrown to them), they have a chance to outscore the Patriots, imo.

This game is all on Cameron, Flacco, the offensive line, etc....preparation and execution.

2 out of 3 aint bad.......the Patriots are very well coached. But I agree with you on the other 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Ravens got a blessing in disguise playing fast, physical smart Texan D first then having to play NE next, nowhere as fast or as physical or well coached.

Since we have been off topic I might as well ask. Im coming down from the Boston area in April and want to know where to go for the best crab cakes. I eat like a sumo so I want to eat like a slob. I want to be stuffed to the gills with crab cakes but not drop $100 bucks for one person. Any recomendations?

The Pats D doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as either the Texans or the ravens. That said, they can do enough to keep the game in hand.

I don't expect they can shut Smith down even if they don't sell out against the run, but that they can effectively limit Rice to the point that the ravens offense cannot score enough points to keep up.

Smith could get 3-4 rec for 125yds & a TD as long as Rice is kept under 100yds and 1td or less. I'd bet the Pats could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    To stay on topic, my question to Patriots fans would be this: With the idea that the Patriots are better than their ranking, are they close enough to the caliber of the Houston Texans, to be able to take away Torrey Smith with single coverage and successfully stack the box to stop Ray Rice? In 2010, Rice only had eighty eight yards rushing. The time before that, the Ravens weren't hiding the fact that he was getting the ball and the Patriots did stack the box, but unsuccessfully.

How confident are you guys in the Patriots ability to take Rice out of the equation, the way that Houston did, while taking Torrey Smith out at the same time?

I'm confident they can come closer to last years effectiveness (kept him to 88yds) than the debacle that was the 2009 wildcard game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How confident are Patriots fans in their teams' ability to effectively stop Ray Rice?

If Rice has 88 yards rushing, the Pats are going to lose. If he has 88 he will also have 60ish receiving and at least 1 TD but probably 2. I think that the Ravens CAN handle the Patriots D and I think they Ravens D CAN limit the Pats O enough to make it a close game. I don't know if they WILL. It just depends on what Ravens team shows up. We have seen the best and the worst from this team this year.

The topic of this thread is the weakest link in the game and will ultimately cost the Patriots a trip to the Super Bowl.

You could be correct. Early in the season watching many of those games (early in the game taht is) I stormed out of the room pissed that BB could expose this team by doing what he did. a lot of trades that weakend the D. But somehow the D shut down teams after one or 2 quarters. Got my attention. Still I thought: that this roller coster ride with the D needs to end if there is to be any success in the post season. I liked the fact they could shut down teams when they needed too . this showed that they "could" it was more of a concern that "could they do it for 4 quarters. They are not going to win in the playoffs against good teams playing 3 quarters! I was impressed with what they did against the Broncos. Broncos have an excellent run game and they shut that down. Can they do it against the Ravens? I dont know.
    If the Pats D plays like they did last week they win easy BUT if they play 3 quarters they loose. We will see

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheRaven View Post
    The topic of this thread is the weakest link in the game and will ultimately cost the Patriots a trip to the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Do you think the Ravens have less offensive talent than the Bills, Steelers and Giants?
    Ravens close to Buffalo offensively, not as good as Pittsburgh (when Ben is healthy) and not even close to the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by DBK11 View Post
    Ravens close to Buffalo offensively, not as good as Pittsburgh (when Ben is healthy) and not even close to the Giants.
    See ya' Sunday.....LOL.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Listening to Boston radio (cause all we have is 105.7) and they brought up the QB's the Patriots have faced since their last loss to the Giants

Not that this is a prediction or any indication of Sunday, just goes to show there Defense allows yards to career backups...

wk 17 Ryan Fitzpatrick

wk 16 Matt Moore

wk 15 Tim Tebow

wk 14 Rex Grossman

wk 13 Dan Orlovsky

wk 12 Vince Young

wk 11 Tyler Palko

wk 10 Mark Sanchez