Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: So How Did the Offense Look Today?

Our offense looked like crap yesterday, but I have to put the blame on the o-line.

Boller looked a lot better, and I can see the talent McGahee has if we can just open the hole for him a bit. Still, one offensive TD after our defense forced SIX turnovers. That needs to stop quickly.

We can all sit here and say, "well the defense had the game well in hand so we didn't want the offense to turn the ball over". We had the Cards and Jets games well in hand too. Remember how fun those were to finish watching? Something needs to change on offense. Start blowing teams out when we have the chance.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    By the way, before the year is through I WILL purchase a Matt Stover jersey.

By all rights when it's all said and done, the man deserves a place both in Canton and in the hearts of every true Ravens fan.
    My mate bought me one for my birthday from the Ravens online shop for my birthday. More than five months later and it's still not been shipped and now they're not responding to his e-mails.

Fortunately the money hasn't gone out of his account either so they obviously screwed up the transaction without telling him.

Fair enough. That's one. Since 1999. Any others?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    Priest Holmes comes to mind
    The loss of Priest Holmes was a purely a salary cap issue.

Jamal was entering his 2nd season coming off a great rookie year.

Holmes wanted to start and wanted starters money.

The Ravens would have LOVED to have him back.

And Ozzie Newsome makes these decisions no matter how much people wanna think Billick does.

PP

As has been reported...we got 6 TO's with all of them in Rams territory I beleive.

And we kicked 4 field goals off of them.

This offense stinks and always will with this shitty system.

The offense will be horrid until we have a coaching change. The routes our recievers run are very basic and do not fool defenses. We hardly ever use motion and when is the last time you've seen a crossing pattern? As soon as our WR's make a catch they're lit up. I don't think any of our QB's have the ability to make a throw leading a reciever. Until we have a new offensive scheme we will not be able to beat the elite teams. Our defense is too old to be able to make man to man effective and Ryan will not run Zones because were always blitzing/trickingLOL. Also, McGahee needs to run to the left and right he is not a powerback and the middle is not an option for him.
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuBS View Post
    Also, McGahee needs to run to the left and right he is not a powerback and the middle is not an option for him.
    I haven't the energy to go through your post point-by-wrongheaded-point, so I will take only this one.

Did you see run up the middle, off tackle, dragging defenders into the end zone Sunday?

People remember what they want to remember.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Priest Holmes comes to mind
    That was Ozzie's miss, I can recall him calling him the 5th best back in the division when it was a 5 team division.

The routes our recievers run are very basic and do not fool defenses.
    Every offense in the NFL runs the same WR routes. Posts, corners, outs, slants, etc.

We hardly ever use motion and when is the last time you've seen a crossing pattern?
    Sunday was the last time I saw a crossing pattern. Does motion actually fool an NFL defense?

You probably shouldn't get your takes from the drunks calling in on the post-game shows.

Mark Clayton EXISTS!!!!!

I was at the game, section 531, good to be back in baltimore for a bit. Randomly, I was also selected as Fox 45's fan of the week in their Purple Pride contest.

From what I saw of the offense:

1) we took a good ammount of effective end zone shots, but Demetrius dropped 1, one got called back by a ticky-tacky offensive Pass Interference call.

2) Mark Clayton EXISTS!!!!! 4 catches. Good to see Boller looking his way, and again Boller suddenly finding him makes me think "why can't McNair find him?" I think its a vision issue

3) Boller is better on the intermediate Balls. The deep balls, i can't tell form yesterday as the o-line showed its youth. Demetrius has to get better at coming down with the ball and securing it.

4) YAC wise, I think it takes a blind man to not see that our YAC is far better with Boller throwing the ball. The ball gets their faster while the corner is froze, and the WR can then make the move. That one catch and run by mason comes to mind. If McNair throws that ball, the DB is all over Mason by the time the ball gets there.

Overall, the offense is a shorter passing offense, but not as short as McNair makes it. He definitely has been checking down / checking out of the deep play called. Boller was getting killed by bad pass protection so we'll see what happens against buffalo.

I really hope that McNair comes back from his rest well healed and looking better if he's to be the starter. If not, I hope we stick with Boller.

We'll see if Boller's road woes continue. And I partially think finding this out is important to this team. Does he melt down, or play tough?

Re: Mark Clayton EXISTS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    I was at the game, section 531, good to be back in baltimore for a bit. Randomly, I was also selected as Fox 45's fan of the week in their Purple Pride contest.

From what I saw of the offense:

1) we took a good ammount of effective end zone shots, but Demetrius dropped 1, one got called back by a ticky-tacky offensive Pass Interference call.

2) Mark Clayton EXISTS!!!!! 4 catches. Good to see Boller looking his way, and again Boller suddenly finding him makes me think "why can't McNair find him?" I think its a vision issue

3) Boller is better on the intermediate Balls. The deep balls, i can't tell form yesterday as the o-line showed its youth. Demetrius has to get better at coming down with the ball and securing it.

4) YAC wise, I think it takes a blind man to not see that our YAC is far better with Boller throwing the ball. The ball gets their faster while the corner is froze, and the WR can then make the move. That one catch and run by mason comes to mind. If McNair throws that ball, the DB is all over Mason by the time the ball gets there.

Overall, the offense is a shorter passing offense, but not as short as McNair makes it. He definitely has been checking down / checking out of the deep play called. Boller was getting killed by bad pass protection so we'll see what happens against buffalo.

I really hope that McNair comes back from his rest well healed and looking better if he's to be the starter. If not, I hope we stick with Boller.

We'll see if Boller's road woes continue. And I partially think finding this out is important to this team. Does he melt down, or play tough?
    Gee, what do you know.

Excuses made for Boller.

Oline, WRs dropping balls etc....

Now McNair has "vision" issues?

You can't tell from yesterday about the deep balls? I'll tell you Dave. Almost every one of them was underthrown including the ball that we got the PI call on. One down the sideline to Williams was WAY out of bounds.

Look Dave, you can spin it however you want. The offense was given the ball countless times with GREAT field position and we saw basically the same thing.

Did Boller throw a few balls in your favorite "intermediate" area? Sure. He also threw a pick and fumbled the ball.

I noticed you glossed over that. Any chance you would've glossed over that fact if McNair had done that?

Can you please start posting with some objectivity?

PP

P.S. I have 2 seats in 531. Thank God I don't sit there.
    Last edited by purplepoe; 10-16-2007 at 05:26 PM.

I personally find this debate kind of comical.

Really they are shades of mediocrity. At worst each is bad, and at best each is pretty good. They both fluctuate in that range. In terms of production, neither one is that much better then the other, though they obviously have different strengths and weaknesses.

The FO has not found/invested in an elite quarterback. Never have since Vinny, unless you count Grbac.

In the real world, by the way, that's not Billick's fault, but also in the real world, this is a pretty successful franchise.

Cheers!
    Festivus

I'll agree with Dave that Boller leads to more YAC just because he has the arm strength to get the ball there quickly. Sunday was not a day to try throwing the ball deep regardless of which QB was in there. You throw the deep pass on 5 to 7 step drops and I'll be darned if I'd be trying that with undrafted rookie tackles.

Hmmm... I'm seeing some intresting stats. We're averaging 19.8 first downs a game which is good for 10th in the league. We're converting 42% of our third downs, good for 15th in the league.

Yet we're scoring 18.3 points a game which puts us at 22nd in the league. Our redzone woes continue to haunt us even after we let go of the tap-dancing bear. With a TE like Todd Heap, and a tall receiver like D-Will we shouldn't be having that much trouble.

I think the forumla is really starting to bite us in the butt. We get down there and play it really safe and get the three points instead of going for the TD.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock