Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Are you serious? Saying that a state is not blue because it has red counties is like saying that the county is not red because it has blue neighborhoods. Where does it end? Just go by the population totals. Even states like New York and MA have a lot of rural land that is very conservative.

I think that the culprit for MD is the double whammy of Baltimore being a very liberal city, and Southern Maryland being mostly government workers and Lobbyists commuting to DC.
    You are right, where does it end?

I merely pointed it out because of the historical perspective of Maryland as a "small state". Because of its size, Maryland has been mistakenly identified throughout the history such as being an anti-slavery state, which was not true...

I have had out-of-state friends who were appalled to learn that there were more "pro-republican" in Maryland than originally thought. Plus, Maryland has a rather long-line of democrat governors, which influenced the perception of the state.

Blog Entries

Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I always find it funny when people say we are a left-wing state or a blue state. It is somewhat misleading, but not inaccurate. If you look at the recent presidential election or most state election, you would find more counties are red than blue. The blue ones just have more overall population.
    All the more reason to award electoral votes by congressional district.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Didn't read the fine detail of how they come up with this ranking but it sure seems inaccurate to me.

Living in TN there is no state tax but I am hit with city tax (don't live in the city) county tax, I pay city school and county school tax but have no kids that go there, it goes on and on. Nothing to do with liberal IMO because there is nowhere on earth more conservative than this place.
    It's not specifically about taxes. Also it's about economic freedom per state not per county...

The write up of how they got to each states ranking is rather long, so I can't say how they got to put Tenn where it is. Maybe it's more that Tenn "less bad" more than it is "better" than the other states.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Have you seen the 30 For 30 documentary "Broke"?

It talks about how numerous athletes do just that to avoid high tax states.
    This, it's a huge difference. For instance with Dwight Howard, many people think it's a foregone conclusion that he re-signs with the Lakers because they can pay him 30 million more then any other team because they have his Bird rights, but if he signed to say Dallas or Houston, he'd earn slightly more over the course of the contract despite it being for 30 million less when you factor in taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He has to pay taxes to the state where the money is earned. He then gets a credit for that amount from the state that he is a resident of. Pro athletes actually have to file returns for every state they play a game in.
    The term 'Jock Tax' is a misnomer. Technically anyone who earns money in a state is supposed to file taxes in that state. For example, if you are a salesman who travels, you are supposed to file taxes for each state in which you make a sale. However, for most of the population the tax money that that state would receive is not enough to merit going after (i.e. it would cost more to try to collect than what they would collect).

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    The term 'Jock Tax' is a misnomer. Technically anyone who earns money in a state is supposed to file taxes in that state. For example, if you are a salesman who travels, you are supposed to file taxes for each state in which you make a sale. However, for most of the population the tax money that that state would receive is not enough to merit going after (i.e. it would cost more to try to collect than what they would collect).
    I'd hardly call it a misnomer ....

http://taxfoundation.org/tax-topics/jock-taxes

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'd hardly call it a misnomer ....

http://taxfoundation.org/tax-topics/jock-taxes
    It's a misnomer in the sense that it leads people to believe that these rules only apply to 'jocks'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    That's exactly it. I've seen states go after other professions as well. PA is especially aggressive. Even Philly is pain in the ass. They are much worse than NYC.

And I just want to point out an error in the thread title. "Technically" he's still the highest paid player in the league. It's just that his take home pay is only the second highest in the league.

Come to think of it, that's something that the CBA should have thought of with the cap. They should have made allowances to adjust cap figures by the state's income tax rates. Allow the excess that players pay for being in a more heavily taxed state compared to the minimum that they would pay be a credit on the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    The Eastern Shore and Western MD are red. Although some argue that the Eastern Shore should be its own state anyway.
    If the Eastern Shore were to secede from the People's Republic of Maryland: count me in! I'd even swim across the Chesapeake Bay to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Didn't read the fine detail of how they come up with this ranking but it sure seems inaccurate to me.

Living in TN there is no state tax but I am hit with city tax (don't live in the city) county tax, I pay city school and county school tax but have no kids that go there, it goes on and on. Nothing to do with liberal IMO because there is nowhere on earth more conservative than this place.
    Don't understand your complaint. When we lived in Huntsville, Alabama, our State income tax dropped to about 1/4th of the pre-O'Malley rates that we now suffer. Yet about half my workforce lived in Tennessee, commuting south to Huntsville, typically to avoid the "high" Alabama taxes. We have friends who moved north from Huntsville to rural Tennessee, halfway to Nashville and near the Jack Daniels distillery, who pay virtually no state taxes outside of low sales and property taxes
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries
    This is why a lot of pro athletes love in Florida.

No income tax.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If the Eastern Shore were to secede from the People's Republic of Maryland: count me in!
    As an ES resident, I concur.