Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    So has the average for top defensive players gone down? What is your definition of "top defensive player"? Based on what you've written, it seems to be "a guy who got a big contract five years ago", and it should be obvious that your definition is totally off base.

In a world where Kruger signs for $8 million/year, Ellerbe signs for $7 million/year, Cary Williams signs for $5.7 million/year, and Clay Matthews is on the verge of signing for $13 (!!!) million/year, you're going to have to prove that defensive player salaries are dropping more than any other non-QB position.
    Antitrust cases typically can take years to develop.

I've previously said this pattern will have to show longer than just one season.

We are in the beginning of a new 10 year CBA, so things could still be settling out.

That doesn't mean weird things can't still be going on. Yes these things are hard to prove. But not impossible.

If you guys don't want to buy in until there is more concrete evidence, fine. If you just want to poke fun at the shitty NFL union and say "of course agents want higher contracts" so be it. But the industry is on notice regardless of what you think. The NFLPA wouldn't be issuing daily salary cap updates (even if it is just a tactical ploy).

I made this thread because I saw things that looked weird. And it seems I am not the only one, despite all of the blow back I've taken here from people that don't work in football and have no experience with the issues surrounding this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    So I would appreciate a little less shit from people that haven't done those things and aren't privy to such discussions.

I created this thread because I thought weird things were happening in free agency. My suspicion is not alone.

You can believe it or not, but the fact is other people actually in the industry and not on a message board are worried.
    And I attended a speech and Q&A by Jimmy Hoffa. That doesn't make me a labor expert.

You might have had an extra ounce or two of credibility if you hadn't started this thread to speculate that some Seahawks players were colluding by taking less than market value.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

If you guys don't want to buy in until there is more concrete evidence, fine.
    I'll go with that, thanks.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Are you practicing for Moot Court?
    This is my thinking.

Blog Entries

If owners conspire together to fix wages there is an issue. You seem to only be looking at it from a salary cap perspective, which is not where the legal focus fully resides.
    How do you differentiate market value from wage fixing? Since there is a cap that limits how much a team can spend conditions change from year to year based on where that cap is and how much teams have left to spend towards the cap. That's going to influence the market value of players. There are other factors as well like the players age, production and injury history that are constantly in flux.

Bernard Pollard got a 3 year deal last year for good money. He was released and this year he agreed to a 1 year deal for a fraction of the money. Can Pollard point to last years contract and say something is fishy because he received so much less this season? He was injured last year which hurt his production. He might of had some personality issues that the team didn't like. He plays a style of football that is leading to fines and that the NFL is trying rule out of existence.

What can be pointed to that will prove that Pollard's contract was the result of teams colluding to keep his contract down when there are so many other factors that influence market value out there? That's just 1 example. If a draft pick that the media proclaims to be a 1st round pick falls to the 2nd round is it collusion because most teams use the same scouting service and therefore form the same opinion of the player? The later a player is picked the lower his contract value. Or, is it simply market value? Running backs used to be highly represented in the top 10 picks and now they are barely drafted in the 1st round. The market had changed. How can you distinguish market value from collusion?

Blog Entries

And I attended a speech and Q&A by Jimmy Hoffa. That doesn't make me a labor expert.
    Yeah because that is totally the same as being immersed in the topic for 6+ months. And I never said I was an expert.

You might have had an extra ounce or two of credibility if you hadn't started this thread to speculate that some Seahawks players were colluding by taking less than market value.
    It was the beginning of the free agency period. All of these other lowball deals had yet to be finalized.

Yet still the central topic of collusion remains valid, as evidenced by the concern in the industry.

And I've contributed waaaaaaaaaaaay more support to the validity of my side than you have to yours.

I'll go with that, thanks.
    Please do. In the mean time, plenty of other threads...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    This is my thinking.
    Then your thinking is wrong. Again, plenty of other threads...

My wife is a labor and employment attorney and I asked her to take a look at the thread. She deals with unions / labor matters daily.

Her take is Dee is simply doing something to show the membership he's relevant and earning his keep. He's a man who knows the law, knows it takes a ton of proof to even get the NLRB to take notice, let alone to take a collusion claim to court, and that this is nothing but conjecture and speculation on the part of the NFLPA.

She also adds there's a HUGE difference in book law you learn as a 3Y and what is actually practiced in the L&E world.

Blog Entries

Then your thinking is wrong. Again, plenty of other threads...
    That's a good thing, so far you've not been doing a good job of arguing your case.

I might suggest a course in economics to better understand supply and demand and how that is effecting free agency contracts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    My wife is a labor and employment attorney and I asked her to take a look at the thread. She deals with unions / labor matters daily.

Her take is Dee is simply doing something to show the membership he's relevant and earning his keep. He's a man who knows the law, knows it takes a ton of proof to even get the NLRB to take notice, let alone to take a collusion claim to court, and that this is nothing but conjecture and speculation on the part of the NFLPA.

She also adds there's a HUGE difference in book law you learn as a 3Y and what is actually practiced in the L&E world.
    I agree with all of that.

But yet still agents in the industry are of the opinion that something weird is going on. I've heard it directly out of their mouths.

We will just have to wait and see.

I am just a little tired of people here busting on me like I concocted some crazy theory and don't have a clue what I am talking about.

Blog Entries

That's a good thing, so far you've not been doing a good job of arguing your case.
    ZING! Wow. That hurt. Good one.

What exactly have you contributed to this topic again?

I might suggest a course in economics to better understand supply and demand and how that is effecting free agency contracts.
    I might suggest you study the history of sports leagues and antitrust. it is pretty long so you should get started ASAP so you can catch up and comprehend the issues.

Yet still the central topic of collusion remains valid, as evidenced by the concern in the industry.
    Concern =/= Evidence

Correlation =/= Causation