Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Everything Guns (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It has a trigger safety. Unless you're an utter moron or poor trigger discipline, it's not going to go off. It also has an internal drop safety which can withstand the jostling of a purse.

If you're going to purse carry, no matter the gun, women shouldn't just throw it in the same pocket as their lip stick, cell phones and keys. It should be in it's own compartment, free of all impingements.
    I did say external safety, and a properly sized pocket with no other items would suffice. Was just more concerned that random items could get inside the trigger guard and have some twisting around causing problems.

http://www.reactgear.com/Blackhawk-S...-p/41051-p.htm

that is the holster I have, works great for me and my purposes, but would be very much useless for most people. I can't fathom a way to conceal with this, but that I why I have it. I must open carry for my purposes and honestly, the more obviously it sticks out the better. I am actually going for the "HEY LOOK AT ME, I'M ARMED" look...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I did say external safety, and a properly sized pocket with no other items would suffice. Was just more concerned that random items could get inside the trigger guard and have some twisting around causing problems.

http://www.reactgear.com/Blackhawk-S...-p/41051-p.htm

that is the holster I have, works great for me and my purposes, but would be very much useless for most people. I can't fathom a way to conceal with this, but that I why I have it. I must open carry for my purposes and honestly, the more obviously it sticks out the better. I am actually going for the "HEY LOOK AT ME, I'M ARMED" look...
    I could be wrong, but wasn't there concern about those holster causing accidental discharges? Are those the ones where you have to press a "button" (for lack of a better term) on the side for the gun to release?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I could be wrong, but wasn't there concern about those holster causing accidental discharges? Are those the ones where you have to press a "button" (for lack of a better term) on the side for the gun to release?
    I hope not...

Yes, hardshell holster with button release.

in 2 years, roughly, of daily use... I have certainly had no issues. I remove from the holster daily to use the restroom and also weekly to leave in safe unloaded with bullets removed from magazine to improve wear and tear on the spring. A couple times a year I switch to a different magazine.

the button is perfect for me, it is my safety. Click, remove, good to go. I don't want another step.

I can't see how there would be an issue, the mechanism for the button is quite shallow and fully in front of the trigger when it clicks on the trigger guard. I can't even see a way to manhandle it to the point where the mechanism can contact the trigger itself.

Blog Entries

Maybe they fixed it. But I remember something about that.

A quick search and I found this.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-discontinued/

Is that not the type you have?

Maybe they fixed it. But I remember something about that.

A quick search and I found this.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-discontinued/

Is that not the type you have?
    yup, that's it.
    Maybe I am lucky, but my finger slides along the slide after releasing it from the holster. Maybe it's my small hands or a bit of a revision, but my finger is a nearly full inch higher then where It would be if in the trigger guard ready to fire.

Blog Entries

yup, that's it.
    Maybe I am lucky, but my finger slides along the slide after releasing it from the holster. Maybe it's my small hands or a bit of a revision, but my finger is a nearly full inch higher then where It would be if in the trigger guard ready to fire.
    I guess what I heard was about depressing the button then the finger slipping on to the trigger. I know me, I'd worry about being in a situation where if I need to use it and in the rush to get it that happening. But if your finger is no where near it, no problem.

I guess what I heard was about depressing the button then the finger slipping on to the trigger. I know me, I'd worry about being in a situation where if I need to use it and in the rush to get it that happening. But if your finger is no where near it, no problem.
    Trust me, you got me scared. It's one thing to carefully use it and know I'll be safe, it's another thing when in a pressure situation.

But I just sat here and manipulated it several different ways, and it didn't seem to be an issue. Inspecting the mechanism closely, the only issue I can "see" would be the button pressing finger sliding into the trigger guard as explained in the video, and from several unloaded full speed test runs my finger consistently slid down the slide, so I "think" I'm safe. I also noticed I can use my middle finger at an angle, putting it even further from the business, but then my hand is a bit off to quickly move to a firing position.

Thanks for pointing that out. Never hurts to be a bit extra safe.

Just unloaded it, and tried to induce failure conditions, and man you would really have to have a gorilla grip to pull the trigger hard enough to fire a round... hard not to notice that you were pulling the trigger at that point. Glock's certainly do not have a hair trigger....

Blog Entries

Thanks for pointing that out. Never hurts to be a bit extra safe.
    One thing I've heard is practicing after soaking your hands in ice water for 30 seconds to simulate the lack of control you have in a high pressure situation. I've never tried it so I can't say if it works or not, but maybe if it does worry you, you could try that too. Again, I have no idea if that actually helps, maybe look into it a bit...

Nice to see a respectful exchange regarding holsters.

I am on some gun message boards and it's funny to read them because people get so serious about the holsters they use, going so far to tell other people their wrong about the holster they use. Just silly.

It all comes down to comfort. Don't have open carry in TX (yet) so it's all about a good, comfortable concealment holster. I am a huge fan of these ...

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=95

... wearing it in the 4 o'clock position. I am not a fan of feeling plastic or metal on my skin so I enjoy that it's plastic mounted on leather.

Blog Entries

I got that off your recommendation. I like it, I just need to switch to a right handed holster due to some arthritis in my left shoulder and practicing puts a lot of torque on my shoulder. Sucks cause I spent 90 bucks on it, but I can go back to it if I ever get my shoulder fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Don't have open carry in TX (yet) so it's all about a good, comfortable concealment holster. .
    I can't walk out the front door of my store without removing my firearm. So it's not like I can carry openly everywhere either. I could easily get a concealed permit, but don't find the need. I'd MUCH RATHER open carry at work, and I don't really feel the need to carry besides that.

I can't walk out the front door of my store without removing my firearm. So it's not like I can carry openly everywhere either. I could easily get a concealed permit, but don't find the need. I'd MUCH RATHER open carry at work, and I don't really feel the need to carry besides that.
    To each, there own.