Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    The Baltimore Barksdales!
    Nice!...but the Wire didn't start until 2002, so missed the boat on that beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Poe did spend his formative years here. He was born in Boston. Both parents were actors and he dad abandoned Poe and his mother when he was a baby. So his mom brought him down here and dropped him off at his grand mother's and took off. He was also raised here by an aunt until she died when he was a teen or pre-teen.

Then he moved to Richmond, VA and lived with a rich uncle down there and went to the U of VA.

They still have his room roped off now as a museum but they don't like to mention that he actually dropped out.

He wrote his famous poems in New York's public library. So Boston, Bmore, Richmond and NY all lay claim to Poe.

He was basically passing thru here but was partying and drinking at a bar somewhere near Pratt Street downtown when he passed out drunk face down in the gutter. It rained on him and he died.
    He was born in Boston and taken to Richmond shortly after his father abandoned the family. His aunt and uncle raised him in Richmond. He moved to Baltimore the first time in his twenties and married his 13 year old cousin here. He lived here off and on. He was found delirious on Thames Street in Fells Point. It is widely believed that he had been drinking at the bar that is now called "The Horse You Came in On". He was taken to the hospital where he died shortly after.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post

He was born in Boston and taken to Richmond shortly after his father abandoned the family. His aunt and uncle raised him in Richmond. He moved to Baltimore the first time in his twenties and married his 13 year old cousin here. He lived here off and on. He was found delirious on Thames Street in Fells Point. It is widely believed that he had been drinking at the bar that is now called "The Horse You Came in On". He was taken to the hospital where he died shortly after.
    Love that bar.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Baltimore still defines the birth and death of Poe. When asked for his birth place Poe turned his back on Boston and said Baltimore not Richmond. It was here where he was his happiest and met his wife and here where things got rolling for him.

There is a movement in Philly to retrieve his body but they can have John Wilkes Booth. They already have Ben Franklin.

http://www.eapoe.org/balt/poebalt.htm

Merauder gets my alternate vote :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES9IzkdNTo0

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    The Baltimore Barksdales!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Nice!...but the Wire didn't start until 2002, so missed the boat on that beauty.
    Then call them the Baltimore Luther Mahoneys instead.

Blog Entries

"Baltimore Junkies" could have worked.

I think that Baltimore defines Poe because he was a guy who was obsessed with death. That was all that he would write about. It would seem natural that the place that he died would the most significant landmark in relation to him.

That being said, I would have liked to have something related to Fort McHenry and the Star Spangled Banner. Just to remind people of the symbolism of that day, and what it means for our country, and how it took place in the inner harbor. I was thinking recently that the "Red Glare" would be a good name for the team. Or maybe the "Rockets."

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    The Cleveland lawsuit had squat-all to do with Modell giving up the name. He wanted to keep the team the Browns- name, colours, history, etc.- but polling commissioned by him and the Maryland Stadium Authority showed fans here in Baltimore hated the idea. We wanted a new team, but we didn't want to do what Irsay and Indianapolis had done to us.

Cleveland's lawsuit was a loser from jump street given the precedents established by the Raiders' move to L.A. and the Irsay move to Indianapolis. If a lawsuit could have done it, the Colts name, etc. would have stayed in Baltimore.
    And also what would the point of that been? They didn't have Lombardi Trophy's. I would want 30+ years of history and no Super Bowl rings to show for it. They can keep that. I like the fact that we have 2 in 17 years.

I think one of the best parts about the team being the Ravens as opposed to the other options is that the color scheme is totally unique. If they had gone with an homage to the Revolution, or to the maritime tradition, the military, or even the railroad we'd have wound up with another team that uses red white and blue (Bills and Pats), or blue and green (Seahawks), green and brown (great for camo but not great sports team colors IMO), etc. Black and purple are great and I think we wind up looking either classic (in the black and white or purple and white or all whites) or badass (in the all blacks or even the purple and black).

Something that let us use red would have been sweet, but at the same time, we wouldn't be able to wear "Ravens" (whatever the name would have been) and Orioles gear at the same time.

(Not proud of this post, but I think it's something that marketing probably thought about).

Don't forget, the Vikings are purple, and were purple before we were. But I agree that Red, White, and Blue would have been redundant with the Patriots. I don't see why they got to be the Patriotic team though. I would have thought that DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, or NY would have made more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    But I agree that Red, White, and Blue would have been redundant with the Patriots.
    And the Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    I don't see why they got to be the Patriotic team though. I would have thought that DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, or NY would have made more sense.
    New England is the birthplace of America.