Page 309 of 333 FirstFirst ... 307308309310311 ... LastLast
Results 3,697 to 3,708 of 3987

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

Oh, and one more thing... the 49ers now have 14 draft picks. Yes, you read that right, FOURTEEN, including the 31st and 34th overall picks.

They already had probably the most talented roster in the NFL with 11 of their starters being first-round draft picks. Now they have 14 picks, 4 of them in the top 100 where teams traditionally find most of their starters, and 2 of them are basically late first-rounders.

As much as I hate to say it, this makes the 49ers obvious Super Bowl favorites next year, especially if they package their first 2 picks in a trade for Darrelle Revis. That would be absolutely insane and they also have the cap room to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think you are a bit harsh on Smith... dude had a 70 percent completion percentage when replaced by Kap... with Joekle and Bowe and Charles... theycould certainly make the playoffs. I agree it's highwayrobbery on the compensation, but Smith is a sizeable upgrade over cassell.
    Bowe is a FA that KC very well may not sign and even if they do they have NOTHING behind him at WR. I said they have a "little bit" of offensive talent, and that's true: Jamaal Charles and a pretty good OL (their OL won't be better next year than it was last year, doubt Joeckel in year 1 will be better than Branden Albert.)

"Being harsh on Smith" would be calling him the worst QB in the NFL. He isn't that, but he was terrible without Jim Harbaugh and he'll be terrible again next year. It's very easy to post a good completion percentage when you've been told to throw it to the first read if it's open or take a sack on every play (despite having a monster OL in front of you).

Smith's stats are a complete fraud. All I can tell you is watch the tape, and you'll see a guy who struggles miserably when he can't throw on time to the first read.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Per multiple reports the Alex Smith to KC trade appears finalized. 49ers will get the Chiefs' 2nd (34th overall) pick this year and another pick next year. For the 49ers, it's an A+++++++ to trade away a player they were going to cut anyway for such massive compensation.

For the Chiefs, it's an F- and a jaw-droppingly stupid move. They absolutely needed to upgrade at QB, but Alex Smith is an unimpressive option who will likely revert to being one of the worst QBs in the league next year. The only saving grace is that KC does have a little bit of talent around him and he's already familiar with the WCO. That should get them to 7-9 or so next year, won't make the playoffs, and have played themselves out of position for a real QB in the 2014 draft.

I just can't get over the stupidity of scrambling to give up that kind of bounty for a guy who's going to get cut anyway. If I were Andy Reid I would have much rather traded a 5th rounder to Seattle for Matt Flynn or signed Matt Moore or Drew Stanton in free agency, drafted a mid-round QB who fits the WCO like Tyler Wilson or Matt Barkley, and then re-evaluate after 2013. This is a pure panic move that makes no sense for a 1st year regime.
    I agree for the most part...I just think Smith is the ultimate game manager...a suped up version of Dilfer.

I don't see any way he really fits there unless Andy Reid is actually going to commit to being a run first offense so he can protect Smith. Alex Smith was a bust in San Francisco when they tried to build an offense around him...it wasn't until Harbaugh and Roman got there and completely overhauled the O and did an incredible job of "hiding" Smith. Even this past year with his insanely high QB rating, the offense still wasn't doing all that great. Vernon Davis and Crabtree had been extremely mediocre and under-utilized with Smith. The media types that watched film like Jaws and Cossell constantly said Smith had a problem with making throws that were there and he just always held the ball too long.

As soon as a real QB got in there...Kap...Davis and Crabtree's productivity took off and both looked like scary weapons for probably the first time in their careers. And that offense didn't just start producing at a high level, it started embarrassing defenses once they got rolling.

Andy Reid had an incredibly explosive and good back in McCoy, one of the biggest offensive lines in football, and routinely saw his QB getting his ass beat by holding the ball too long for years...years and still based his offense on QB's throwing the ball 35 times a game and negating his own running game. Unless he is able to change his ways, I don't see any way Smith thrives.

Like you said, Smith will get them to 6-8 wins as the rest of that team is talented, but I don't see Smith every producing at a level to justify that extremely high price.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that Wilson or Barkley have any possibility of being mid-round guys.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Well, another perspective is that Andy Reid has always been pretty good at getting solid QB play from mediocre guys.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Bowe is a FA that KC very well may not sign and even if they do they have NOTHING behind him at WR. I said they have a "little bit" of offensive talent, and that's true: Jamaal Charles and a pretty good OL (their OL won't be better next year than it was last year, doubt Joeckel in year 1 will be better than Branden Albert.)

"Being harsh on Smith" would be calling him the worst QB in the NFL. He isn't that, but he was terrible without Jim Harbaugh and he'll be terrible again next year. It's very easy to post a good completion percentage when you've been told to throw it to the first read if it's open or take a sack on every play (despite having a monster OL in front of you).

Smith's stats are a complete fraud. All I can tell you is watch the tape, and you'll see a guy who struggles miserably when he can't throw on time to the first read.
    I think Bowe will be tagged/signed.

Don't get me wrong, Smith is NOT great... he is perhaps top 20 though... certainly light years better then Sanchez, Cassell, Ari's mess from last year, Ponder, Gabbert, etc.
    I was pointing to the things you are now when arguing against letting Flacco go in favor of icking up Smith on thother board pre-playoffs. But the reality is that there is a bonus for being perhaps the most risk averse QB in nfl history.
    I also thik Joekel is better out of the gate then Albert. Kalil certainly was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, another perspective is that Andy Reid has always been pretty good at getting solid QB play from mediocre guys.
    Sure...for really short periods...luckily for Reid, teams go bananas for backup QB's who have 1 or 2 good games.

Feeley and Kolb would have a really good 2-3 game stretch and then go back to mediocre...even when still with the Eagles. Neither was out there for 5-6 games putting up 90 QB ratings...each time those 2 got extended time with Philly, they went back to being mediocre.

Even Vick had that great 10 or so game stretch in 2010 and went right back to being mediocre.

The same thing is going to happen to Smith when Reid tries to make him into a 35 throws a game QB.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Sure...for really short periods...luckily for Reid, teams go bananas for backup QB's who have 1 or 2 good games.

Feeley and Kolb would have a really good 2-3 game stretch and then go back to mediocre...even when still with the Eagles. Neither was out there for 5-6 games putting up 90 QB ratings...each time those 2 got extended time with Philly, they went back to being mediocre.

Even Vick had that great 10 or so game stretch in 2010 and went right back to being mediocre.

The same thing is going to happen to Smith when Reid tries to make him into a 35 throws a game QB.
    With a RB like Jamaal Charles, I'd like to think that Reid will limit Smith's throws.

You never know though. Reid does love to pass the ball.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    With a RB like Jamaal Charles, I'd like to think that Reid will limit Smith's throws.

You never know though. Reid does love to pass the ball.
    That's logical to all of us, but Reid had Brian Westbrook and Shady McCoy and still threw the ball around like he was running a run and shoot offense.

He just does not like running the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That's logical to all of us, but Reid had Brian Westbrook and Shady McCoy and still threw the ball around like he was running a run and shoot offense.

He just does not like running the ball.
    agreed, literally the last person I would want calling plays for the offense of a team i follow.

Blog Entries

How much is Desmond Bryant, the DT from Oakland expected to get in FA? Possible signing I guess.

Blog Entries

Another guy to consider is Kaluka Maiava from the Browns. He would be a perfect fit at the void we have as a coverage/nickel LB.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    How much is Desmond Bryant, the DT from Oakland expected to get in FA? Possible signing I guess.
    You mean the one who recently posed for his mugshot?